Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

TNT: Revilution . 2 small to medium maps wanted

alterworldruler said:

Looks like this project is shaping up nicely and speeding up. Maybe in the end, this is what we exactly needed, to go our own ways and create even more lovely content for people. Anywho, i'll keep an eye on this, you can feel free to even bug me to see if I can test it.

Thanks Alter. I am glad that things have ultimately worked out as well as they have. And thank you for releasing your maps to us.

And you know what? We will send you a beta down the track.

CorSair said:

Not in a hurry or similar, but what's the status of texture pack?

Not too far off. Megamur, Ragnor and I spend like 4 hours on Skype earlier today going over textures and things.

The Episode 1 sky is done.

Within a week we will have a pretty functional texture pack to go.

Also, I will get you maps 19 and 22 in the next couple of days.

Fellowzdoomer said:

So... all maps are taken?!!! But bit but... wha

Yeah I am kind of blown away at how fast they have filled up.

But if you want to do one, for sure sign up. We will put it in there somewhere. Possibly we will have a reserve of maps that we can slot in if anybody drops out. Hell if people are keen, I'll even consider pulling one of my own. It is not like I have a shortage of maps in this project.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

You raise a good point. I will update the first post, but I will also say here that we are not going for a literal 'TNT the way id did'. I guess you could say that what we are going for is a 'spiritual' successor to TNT, where the maps have a distinct tnt feel to them, but modernised in terms of quality and look. So in short, we want to capture everything that was great about the original, but maintaining modern levels of quality and design standards.

The other thing I will mention is that we do want some form of 'story', so if you are doing an episode transition map (start or end) or some other 'key' map (07, 30 etc) then we may have a couple of chats regarding ideas/themes for those maps. Nothing too limiting for the mapper, just a general concept for the map that fits the wider theme.

Does that sort of answer your question?

It's enough for what I wanted to know. Thanks.

My rough idea for MAP11 was a complex of several techbase buildings. Each of these buildings would be similar to the one building in TNT MAP15: Dead Zone, but easier to navigate inside. Everything would be moderately-to-highly spacious in the map, and I'd also focus on spectacular views from either indoor, outdoor and the gaps between buildings. Given the wide-open structure, vanilla limits themselves would force me for some odd "TNT-ish" shapes and angles. There would be just a very little remarks of hellish presence in the map, and blood or lava would be the primary liquid.

Well, pointless words, I know (anyone feel free to steal the idea). I'm saying this all just as an example, because as I understood it, you're gonna set some sort of loose instructions to episode ending maps. Something like "it has to end with a twist, involving hell's arrival", perhaps (again, just an example). I assume I would be able to incorporate such instructions into my previously described proto-ante-prealpha-concept. Just tell me what you'll come up with, when you eventually do.

Ragnor said:

Some of our names are in the silly territory already (I still expect "viva la Revilution" to pop up), while some are normalish. I prefer names to have a lot of meaning behind them, or simple to the point names, I would probably call map 1 Divergent Likeness as another reference to the origin of Revilution, that and the fact it backtracks a short distance from Last Call.

My only comment about this is that we're going to be using DeHackEd to insert level names into the automap, and because of how DeHackEd functions, the new names can't be significantly longer than the original TNT map names. Therefore, some of them may need to be truncated. In other words, let's try to avoid anything too elaborate. :)

We might also have to simplify the automap readout to make extra room for names, since having "LEVEL [number]" at the start of each name takes away from the maximum number of available characters for the title. We might have to change it to "MAP [number]: [level name]" or simply "[number]: [level name]," or just eschew the numbers entirely. But I suppose we should see how long these level names will be first; this might end up being a non-issue.

@scifista42

A map inspired by Dead Zone? Yes, please. I'd really love a level like that, with a primary installation that can be entered and attacked from basically any angle you choose.

On this note, subject to his approval, it's likely I'm going to scan through Kyka's maps and point out areas that could be made optional. The linearity of his maps was criticized heavily before, so I might request that areas that you were formerly required to explore will now be there to investigate at your discretion. I'd think every Doomer enjoys a tantalizing fork in the road. :)

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Possibly we will have a reserve of maps that we can slot in if anybody drops out. Hell if people are keen, I'll even consider pulling one of my own. It is not like I have a shortage of maps in this project.

Theres always slot 33 to 35 for bonus maps.

You can always use A1-A6 for maps1-6, B1-B5 for maps7-11, C1-C9 for maps 12-20 and D1-D0 for maps21-30 with map 30 being D0 after map 29 D9 to mark this level as exclusive and final. Bonus maps can be E1, E2 etc for better closure where intermission texts are.

I personally prefer the format "MAPXY: Name". ZDoom based ports display level names it this format, so it doesn't feel that strange.

Why not allow more than 32 submissions with the understanding that the best 32 will be in the main WAD.

Nope probably, there won't be a deadline set from now.

Would be great if an irc chat is opened.

purist said:

Why not allow more than 32 submissions with the understanding that the best 32 will be in the main WAD.

This.

Although we run the risk of disrupting story flow by opening up more than 32 slots, I don't really see much harm in having extras. Then that gives us more options to have the best possible lineup of maps.

So unless Kyka or Ragnor objects, I'm in favor of opening an unlimited number of slots, and then we can assign the map order afterward. If we get enough submissions, we can always make an "expansion pack." :)

The extra maps could be put in a separate wad that comes with the main wad (That's if you go through with it), they could be labeled as "Bonus maps" or "Extras".

Or... maps that aren't considered to be one of the 32 best maps just won't be used. I think we're all too old to have hurt feelings as long as there is *COUGH* communication, and it'll give the mappers some time to improve their designs and release them separately.

TNT: Kykalution
No? :(

I can try and make a few MIDIs for this, do you want it to emulate TNT's style like in Devilution?

A mix would be good. Are we still using Ionian Isolation for map 12? I do have a specific request for you for 32 though.

Please go ahead, since it was specifically for that map :) If Wormholding doesn't use it, I'll put it in my own map.

I do have a specific request for you for 32 though.

PM me the details and I'll see what I can come up with heh

Done. Thanks for the midi, send/link it to Kyka and it'll be included in whatever the first version is (No excuses Kyka :D)

EDIT: You should also add Eris and Bucket to the first post as midi contributors

purist said:

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said (in OP):

Feel free to book a mapslot, and as long as your map either meets the standards, or you are prepared to work with us until it does, then you are in. If we get too many maps, we reserve the right to pick the best 32 for the final release.

Good suggestion purist, it is pretty much what we are running with.

Fellowzdoomer said:

OK. Call meh up to map34(kupo!)

Or... and bear with me here, I could stick you in mapslot 25, seeing as it is still open. (The reserve map that is there is one I released publicly like 15 months ago, and ideally I would rather not use maps that have been seen before, if possible.)

Eris Falling said:

TNT: Kykalution
No? :(

What do you mean, no? This is the best name ever. :D

I can try and make a few MIDIs for this, do you want it to emulate TNT's style like in Devilution?

Yes. Very Yes.

Just to keep everyone up to date on the latest doings here in Revilution land: today I whipped up a couple of skies for Episodes 2 and 3.

Unfortunately, they were shit.

Got a name for MAP01: Dual Joules / Hybrid Joules (pick the best). And also please fix my name. :P

It's just nearly Doom 2 without the texture pack.

C3, looks good, very tnt-ish. We will get the texture pack done as soon as possible.

Kyka, in the midi section of the first post, can you add Tin Toker (Bucket) to map 1, Ionian Isolation (Eris Falling) to map 12, and also add Eris' name to Map 32?

I've cut my break down to March 15. Sw2 should be in testing by then. They seem OK without me and probably didnt want me there in the first place.

I'm really trying not to name my map The Abandoned Mines. But the layout I'm planning isn't helping much.

Maybe the Abandoned Halls?

EDIT: I say we do TNT: Overlousion next then restart my Plutonium (I have the thread. Prob'ly growing mold on all the chars.

The abandoned Mimes?

lolololol.

Soz. Nah, seriously, good to have you on board, and we will get the texture pack out as soon as we work out a few minor issues.