Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

6 Californias: Initiative to Create Six New States

Should California become six new states?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should California become six new states?

• Yes
    • No
    • I Don't Know

http://www.sixcalifornias.info/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/02/21/plan-to-divide-california-into-6-states-will-begin-gathering-signatures/

Map:
http://a57.foxnews.com/media.foxbusiness.com/thumbnails/122013/640/360/122013_fb_malanga.jpg

Califorinans will decide on whether they should divide their state into six new ones, or to remain united. This will undoubtibly have massive political and economic implications for the United States, and the world by extension. California's economy alone is ranked 8 in the world, tied with Russia, and Italy. It has 55 electoral votes (the most in the U.S.) that is typically blue in contemporary times.

Do you think the schism is a good idea? You decide.

A more "hip" and family-friendly alternative to the old tired "good ol' boys" secessionists and Aryan Nations nazis, I suppose.

Fascinating, first misread on washington post venture capitalist Tim Diaper instead of Draper lol. If he says that california is too big to be governed effectively, then how about splitting up texas too.

California, eh? Maybe they'll move the Latin community over to their own state and call Hispanistan.

Waffenak said:

If he says that calofornia is too big to be governed effectively, then how about splitting up texas too.

Texas is way too proud to divide. All Texans have to brag about is that they're from Texas.

Technician said:

California, eh? Maybe they'll move the Latin community over to their own state and call Hispanistan.

Texas is way too proud to divide. All Texans have to brag about is that they're from Texas.

Its funny that this kind of people we can find in every country that got one considerably big governing area and they go bragging " we come from there blahblah blah, we are proud to live in blahlbahblah"

I think the most suspicious thing in here is that Silicon Valley is supposed to be its own state.

Keep the money to the rich, eh?

Graf Zahl said:

I think the most suspicious thing in here is that Silicon Valley is supposed to be its own state.

Exactly.

Graf Zahl said:

Gotta love rich liberals. Yeah, more programs for the poor! Just keep the poor bastards off my multi-million dollar, 100 acre, mansion/ranch.

There is also a movement that wants to make the New York City Metropolitan area its own state; creating New York, and New Amsterdam:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/17/secession-movement-in-new-york-pushes-for-big-appl/

I can definitely see the plutocrats in NYC trying to turn NYC into a upper-class only state. The former mayor even offered free one-way tickets to homeless people, in hopes that they would just leave and never come back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/nyregion/29oneway.html

Clonehunter said:

Lets just make Gum and Costa Rico states too, just for the hell of it.

We've spent so much money on Afghanistan, we might as well make it a state.

It'll be our little Chechnya.

Gez said:

I suggest making every single town in the USA a separate state.

With tiny armies and gun turrets and buggy raids on the neighbouring states. The two presidential candidates with the most chieftain votes could fight to the death!

Kontra Kommando said:

I can definitely see the plutocrats in NYC trying to turn NYC into a upper-class only state.

Dunno, man. BBG is from upper NY and he always whines how the City steamrolls the countryside and how he wishes they got separated, so if there's more people like him, that push might not necessarily stem from the Apple.

EDIT: Wasn't there a movement to divide Texas into 4 states and tip the Senate balance?

dew said:

EDIT: Wasn't there a movement to divide Texas into 4 states and tip the Senate balance?

Yes, I believe it is in Texas's constitution that they can divide into 5 separate states. It doesn't matter though, none of the aforementioned ideas are going to ever pass successfully

Californias are North, South, and Jefferson. There is a flask here.

>

Gez said:

I suggest making every single town in the USA a separate state.

If there's a town called Confusion, I'm moving there. ;)

Quasar said:

Sounds good. Can we abolish the federal government while doing it?

I've always wondered if America would benefit greatly by abolishing the fed and making all states independent countries like Europe.

Technician said:

I've always wondered if America would benefit greatly by abolishing the fed and making all states independent countries like Europe.

Why would you want to do that? Other than the states of Europe having -for the most part- different languages, my impression is that each U.S. state is actually more independent from the Federal government than what each EU member is from Bruxelles.

Granted, there are several tiers of "EU" members here, e.g. those in the union but not in the Euro (UK, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Poland) which seem to fare better than everyone else (except Germany), those in the Euro (other than Germany and a few other states, it's a trainwreck), those not in the Euro but having their currencies pegged to it (e.g. Bulgaria, Lithuania), which IMO are just waiting in line to be slaughtered like the rest. But overall, any other "federation" I can think of (e.g. Swiss, German states, USA etc.) fares much, much better than the Eurozone and allows its member much more flexibility. it's e.g. much better to be a special autonomous province of Italy, rather than part of main Italy, economically & politically (e.g. check out South Tyrol).