Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sqrrt121

Wave-like spawning

Hello, I was wondering, how would you make a wave-like monster spawn rate in which they get increased? Also I would like to know how would you put shops or weapon drop and make weapons strength, rate of fire etc. random? I am new to making .wads and I would like to make a coliseum-like mod.

This is not possible in vanilla doom.
But it is easy in hexen and zdoom using ACS scripting.
If you want an example I could make you one.

Even easier with UDMF.

A good example would be Stronghold: on the Edge of Chaos. It has most of what you want.

A smaller example would be one of the Call of Dooty. I think it was Green Ops which had a parody of the "zombie invasion" mode. It was actually fairly entertaining.

Guest Unregistered account
MisriHalek said:

This is not possible in vanilla doom.

Actually, I once, using dummy sectors, made an invasion level on Thy Flesh Consumed in The Ultimate Doom. It was ok.

I have played Stronghold: Edge of Chaos. I am making it for Zdoom. MisriHalek, I would like a ACS script plez. But I do not know how to make use ACS script from scratch. Also does anybody know how to make a shop like system? A tutorial for ACS would be nice too!

hey, i hope this is not out of date yet.

a wave spawn script can look like this:

script 1 enter //spawns zombieman with thingid 0 on spotid 1
{

while(true) //infinite loop
{
int x=1; //set x to 1 for each loop
while(x<=5) // number of monsters to spawn
{
x++;
SpawnSpotFacingForced("zombieman",1,0);delay(1);
delay(10); //wait 10 ticks to spawn each monster
}
delay(100); //wait 100 ticks and do it again
}
}
this is a very basic example. it doesn't increase the spawn wave size but you can do that by creating an additional loop for the "x" variable. you may also want to insert a thing_hate function, so the monsters can attack you. this is recommended because in this example they spawn on the same spot. i also recommend to learn the very basics of c++, so you can more easily create scripts on your own. stuff like how to make variables, for/while loops, if/then and the general syntax. also:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/ACS

i don't know how to create shops but weapon attributes and drops need to be defined in the decorate file. for random drops you can use the "dropitem" function. drop chance can be defined with this function as well. so, this one is super easy.

for more info:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE