Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperCupcakeTactics

Any idea on fixing signal 11? [SOLVED]

PrBoom-Plus crashes upon loading my map with the error "I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11" Anyone know what could be causing this and how I fix it?

I was testing with GZDoom before trying it with PrBoom-Plus if that means anything.

Signal 11 is sigsegv - segmentation violation. It means the program tried to access data it is not allowed to access, i.e., data outside of the program's allocated memory. A frequent source of this issue is dereferencing a null pointer; though it can also be caused by attempting to access memory that was previously freed.

In short: there's a problem in the map that isn't caught by PrBoom+'s sanity checks. Do you get warning messages in the console log when loading the map in GZDoom?

Most map errors result in an error message of varying degrees of helpfulness rather than a segfault. The only thing I know of that doesn't is a Boss Shooter without Spawn Spots. ZDoom (and presumably GZDoom) simply makes the Shooter inoperative in that case, but in vanilla (and any ports that don't catch the resulting null pointer, such as PrBoom+), this causes an immediate segfault (venetian blind crash in vanilla) upon starting the map.

Is there anything in prboom-plus' stdout.txt after the crash?
Can you post your map? That will make everything a lot easier.

Try the wad with some other ports too.

DoomLegacy (for instance) checks wad fields for legal values (in the 1.44 alpha versions) and reports violations. In previous versions it would segfault like you are experiencing.
The checking includes reminding the user that often these faults are caused by forgetting to run a node-builder on the wad after editing.

SuperCupcakeTactics said:

..... and perhaps there's a debugger I can use to pinpoint the root of the problem? .....

You could use the Map Analysis tool (F4) in either Doombuilder2 or, better still, GZDoom Builder.

Kappes Buur said:

You could use the Map Analysis tool (F4) in either Doombuilder2 or, better still, GZDoom Builder.

Or SLADE 3.

Works for me (in v2.5.1.3).

I saw some missing flats though. Most engines don't support wall textures for floors and ceilings.

Yeah sorry Werecat I just ripped the map out of my WAD. It could be just me as I'm using the same version. Thank you Gez for the new SLADE it picked up some problems I missed; can't wait for the full release.

I've started deleting the beginning sectors and have determined that the problem is in the starting areas with the monsters in them. The more I deleted the longer the game ran until crashing with signal 11.
I eventually just deleted the entire beginning areas and it ran for a long time. Maybe it fixed it or just increased its lifespan.

Vertex 1016 overlaps line 1214 without splitting it
Vertex 1583 overlaps line 1655 without splitting it
Vertex 961 overlaps line 1178 without splitting it
Vertex 964 overlaps line 1169 without splitting it

Thank you I was able to locate and fix those, however it runs fine until I access the elevator. I am using PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.3 and that's the second person who says it's fine. Maybe it really is just me :(

It kind of sounds like it crashes when you see some buggy new texture/flat and we aren't experiencing the crashes since we don't have the new graphics. Would you mind posting them as well?

Alright, now I was able to get the crash too. After experimenting with the first room a bit I noticed that the crashes were happening immediately after looking at certain textures: COMPCT08 and NWALL003, for example. So I opened the WAD in XWE and found out that these (and a couple of other) textures are in the PNG format instead of Doom format. That must be the problem. You need to resave them in the Doom format. I'm not too familiar with SLADE but I think it can do that easily (just right click on the lump and there should be some option for resaving in the Doom format).