Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Canofbacon

Pain Elemental

I think it just hacks up all the skulls it ate from all the UAC marines and those skulls became Lost Souls while churning in whatever serves as its belly.

I heard somewhere that the PE's and LS's are the same species, female and male respectively. Well, I heard it from a friend who heard it from a Doom source of sorts, but it's interesting to think about lol

The pain elemental follows as the shock troops from Hell sweep an area and claim any souls remaining. Inside, the souls of combatants and non-combatants alike that have been killed churn and roil inside the pain elemental's belly, scorched by the fires of Hell that smolder within (hence the name). Only when the pain elemental determines it is necessary, the souls that have been imbued with this pain, this torture and are shrouded with the very flames of hell emerge from their jagged maws as lost souls. Transformed, enraged and engorged with fire, they attack the first human target they lay their eye sockets upon.

Would it make sense if the PE had yellow/orange blood since it's similar to the cacodemon but has yellow/orange in it's mouth instead of blue?

Jimothy said:

I think it just hacks up all the skulls it ate from all the UAC marines and those skulls became Lost Souls while churning in whatever serves as its belly.

That would make sense.

Avoozl said:

Would it make sense if the PE had yellow/orange blood since it's similar to the cacodemon but has yellow/orange in it's mouth instead of blue?

Their would be no blood since the pe is just a boulder in the form of a Cacodemon.

Canofbacon said:

Why does the Pain Elemental spawn Lost Souls?

Because it can. That's the sort of question you shouldn't dwell on too long since it can lead to madness. Here's another - why doesn't the cyberdemon run out of rockets?

PRIMEVAL said:

I heard somewhere that the PE's and LS's are the same species, female and male respectively. Well, I heard it from a friend who heard it from a Doom source of sorts, but it's interesting to think about lol

Your friend probably read that here

Jimothy said:

But human skulls don't have horns, unlike Lost Souls.

I always thought as a child that pain elementals were females and cacodemons were male. It's like many species of birds, where the males look more feminine, at least that's the theory my child brain came up with years ago. I haven't really thought of it since then!

Why do barons throw globs of glowing snot?

I also support the "summoning" theory. It summons souls from hell to attack the victim.

Think of PE as a one-way teleport for LS :D

Phobus said:

Because it's more interesting monster behaviour than just another straight line projectile.

This. Seems to me they were trying to explore new attack types in Doom II, while Doom I monsters (Imp, Caco, Baron) shared very similar attacks.

I always thought the PE shot out lost souls as a sort of mobile conduit from hell. Like the beginning of DOOM 3, many lost souls flew through the gate to possess the humans and spread confusion moments before the main invasion begun. It could be that lost souls need a dead host if the human possess to great a will power (as explained that they can't possess you, but simply attack.)
The pain elementals job is to be a mobile hell gate, allowing rapid possession of human civilians and dead bodies as a vanguard to the invasion. Also explains then appearing later on after blasting LOADS of former humans.
Just my 2¢...

GreyGhost said:

Because it can. That's the sort of question you shouldn't dwell on too long since it can lead to madness. Here's another - why doesn't the cyberdemon run out of rockets?

Why does the Lost Soul bleed when you shoot it?!! IT BOGGLES THE IMAGINATION!!!!

baronofheck82 said:

Why does the Lost Soul bleed when you shoot it?!! IT BOGGLES THE IMAGINATION!!!!

Because behind that evil face and hellish flames, it has a heart deep inside.

Well, actually, the reason behind Lost Souls coming out from a Pain Element is because... uh because... uh... maybe a daddy Revenant and a mommy Pain Element loved each other very much and made a happy family and the Pain Element acts as one of those fish that keep their children in their mouth?

The Pain Elemental I made for FreeDoom is a mobile cage of Lost Souls.
When the cage lets one out, it replaces the lost member by means unknown. I was thinking along the lines of a portal in the cage.

Pain Elemental's mouth is an interdimensional portal to that part of Hell where flaming souls get lost.

Canofbacon said:

Why does the Pain Elemental spawn Lost Souls? Are the Lost Souls its baby or something?

Because it would look strange if they spawned a sausage on a fork?

How does a Pain elemental spit lost souls?(Hocch!)

My guess is that when you kill an enemy, they all call 1800-STEAMER and this annoying flying mancubus with stubby arms comes with a Wax Vac, taking the souls inside their unconscious

Why is the lost soul on fire?

Theory A: when the above happens, the souls of all those archviles and zombies are angry and get a bit fired up

Theory B: Every time you kill an arch vile, the Flying Motherfu--- er Pain Elemental--- takes the fire power.

Theory C: Couldn't work the hair drier.

MajorRawne said:

Because it would look strange if they spawned a sausage on a fork?

This made me laugh out loud, best response yet!

William Blazkowicz said:a daddy Revenant and a mommy Pain Element loved each other very much[/B]

[obligatory pic of PE's behind goes here]

If you want a logical answer its because the pain elemental is summoning the lost souls from hell. If you want a illogical answer its because its raping you and the lost souls are your babies.