Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHighestTree

HUD face question

Does anyone know exactly what triggers the "STFOUCH-" face in the HUD? You know, the pic of the Doomguy when he's screaming. I've seen it a few times after (barely) escaping crushing stuff and maybe after a melee rocket mishap. I've never even seen the ones when he's <20 health until i started tweaking an IWAD...

I've gotten it a few times when I get hit in the back unexpectedly, like hes surprised. I hope thats the face you're talking about, the surprised one?

I think it was originally supposed to be used when you got a berzerk pack. Quake 1 had a similar face for when you picked up a Quad. I don't know why it wasn't used. I've never seen the screaming face outside of a sprite browser.

Can someone post a pic of the face? I don't know if thats the same face I'm talking about.

The STFOUCH- graphics originally appeared in the Press Release Beta. It made that face when you stepped in a harmful sector. In Doom's final release, the STFOUCH- graphics appear when you take a shitload of damage but don't die, I do belive. It also appears when you take a large ammount of damage from say...a rocket, then get health from something like a medkit that was right behind you. Another way is to use IDDQD in E1M8's final room. There are probably more ways, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

yes any level where u start in acid/lava, will do it. also large amounts of damage, however the screen is so red it can be a bitch to see. also like BBG said go into the exit of E1M8 and iddqd. also as he said too it was originaly in the press release, most likly was gonna be the face for taking damage

Linguica said:

Anyone want to check the source code for an explanation?

I would if I knew wtf to look for :/

yah i am sure that what it is cus when i used to duke it out when csdoom was still kickin, i would take a hit from a bfg and not die, and i would alwase get the face. it can happen when your standing right ontop of a med kit right when you get shot.

bigbadgangsta said:

Doesn't it also have to do with taking a lot of damage without dying?

thats what I tend to notice.

I've been looking at the source but I can't quite figure out what causes it. It appears to me that if the player gets hurt and ends up with more than 20 more health than he had before he got hurt, the "surprised" face comes up.

Here's the part that looks like what causes it:

if (plyr->health - st_oldhealth > ST_MUCHPAIN) // ST_MUCHPAIN is 20
	    {
		st_facecount = ST_TURNCOUNT;  // ST_TURNCOUNT is 35
		st_faceindex = ST_calcPainOffset() + ST_OUCHOFFSET; // ST_OUCHOFFSET is 5
	    }
So for instance, if you are at 60 health, get SSG'ed and pick up say a soulsphere at the same time, you'll get the face. It has to be almost syncronized however, a fraction of a second too soon or too late and it won't work.

Linguica said:

I've been looking at the source but I can't quite figure out what causes it. It appears to me that if the player gets hurt and ends up with more than 20 more health than he had before he got hurt, the "surprised" face comes up.

So...if a player has 50 health, gets hurt and loses 5 health and gets back 25 then the STFOUCH are activated? Cool!

bigbadgangsta said:

So...if a player has 50 health, gets hurt and loses 5 health and gets back 25 then the STFOUCH are activated? Cool!

No, because that would be going from 50 to 70, and it only works if the net gain is OVER 20, so if he only got hurt for 4 health then it would work.

Linguica said:

No, because that would be going from 50 to 70, and it only works if the net gain is OVER 20, so if he only got hurt for 4 health then it would work.

Oh! Now I get it!

I have gotten that face when walking in the slime on E1M1 once. I'm not sure if it was 1.9 or 1.666 i was playing at the time tho. Any more related code in there?

Lament said:

Your avatar is fucking scary.

It strikes fear into the hearts of meat products!

Linguica said:

Here's the part that looks like what causes it:

if (plyr->health - st_oldhealth > ST_MUCHPAIN) // ST_MUCHPAIN is 20
	    {
		st_facecount = ST_TURNCOUNT;  // ST_TURNCOUNT is 35
		st_faceindex = ST_calcPainOffset() + ST_OUCHOFFSET; // ST_OUCHOFFSET is 5
	    }
So for instance, if you are at 60 health, get SSG'ed and pick up say a soulsphere at the same time, you'll get the face. It has to be almost syncronized however, a fraction of a second too soon or too late and it won't work.

Sounds screwed up to me. Looks like someone got their signs the wrong way round. The sane version probably ought to be:

if (st_oldhealth - plyr->health > ST_MUCHPAIN) // ST_MUCHPAIN is 20
This would mean that if you got above a certain amount of damage, you'd get the face. After all, you probably want that face when you lose health, not when you gain it.

Hmm, just tried modifying it and it doesnt seem to work. It probably can be made to work but I dont have the time right now. Its probably something that was put in but not properly tested. There were several things like this, such as the "picked up a medikit you REALLY NEED" message

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

If you're making a patch, make it have Cartman say 'SON OF A *****!' every time that happens. That would rock.

Lament said:

Your avatar is fucking scary.

Is it just me, or does it keep getting longer?

Anyway, I remember seeing this face when I played D! and put random floors on. I'd start in acid half the time, and get that face.

fraggle said:

Sounds screwed up to me. Looks like someone got their signs the wrong way round. The sane version probably ought to be:

if (st_oldhealth - plyr->health > ST_MUCHPAIN) // ST_MUCHPAIN is 20

This would mean that if you got above a certain amount of damage, you'd get the face. After all, you probably want that face when you lose health, not when you gain it.

I think you are wrong.

I mean, just look at that face again.

It's definitely supposed to appear when you GAIN health, not lose it. Like, you're almost dying and then you get a medkit and you're so happy you go crazy. Hence that face.

Lament said:

I think you are wrong.

I mean, just look at that face again.

It's definitely supposed to appear when you GAIN health, not lose it. Like, you're almost dying and then you get a medkit and you're so happy you go crazy. Hence that face.

The face is called "OUCH."

The variables related to it are "ST_OUCHOFFSET" and "ST_MUCHPAIN."

It seems pretty obvious to me that this was SUPPOSED to be shown when the player got hurt badly. There is not a single comment or clue in the code which suggests that they meant it to turn out the way it did.

Shaviro said:

I was startled the first time i noticed that face.

Me too. I was like: "Holy SHIT, what happened to HIM!?"
I can only get it to show that face when I scoop up some health and take damage simultaneously.

I discovered it the first time on E3M3 - there's that bit where there's lava and harmful blood in some cramped space room and there's a soul sphere. Occasionally when I picked up the soul sphere, I took damage simultaneously with receiving the health boost and the face would show the STOUCH face.