Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

The Doomworld ghost thread

I should probably mention, of all of the allegedly haunted places I have visited (The USS Hornet aircraft carrier, The Winchester "Mystery House" in San Jose, California, Alcatraz Prison in San Francisco, and Mission San Francsisco De Solano in Sonoma, California) not a one appeared to be in any way haunted. The mission in particular was very serene and quiet.

GreyGhost said:

Most likely abducted by aliens and given a quick anal probe before having their short-term memory wiped.

And then the aliens stuffed the memory eraser up his arse for good measure (and a cheap extra-terrestrial laugh). That's why he "doesn't remember" anything.

BaronOfStuff said:

And then the aliens stuffed the memory eraser up his arse for good measure (and a cheap extra-terrestrial laugh). That's why he "doesn't remember" anything.

Really? That's the part you find hard to swallow? Actually, we already have amnesia-inducing drugs here on Earth, and they're routinely used in medical procedures where, for whatever reason, traditional anesthesia just isn't possible. Granted, it's kinda messed up when you think about it - "Hey, this won't stop the operation from hurting like a bitch, but at least you won't remember it," but it's not exactly way-out-there science fiction.

I'm not saying alien abductions are real or anything, just pointing out that the memory-loss aspect is entirely plausible and in fact can be done quite easily (and in fact is done fairly regularly).

So aliens mastered space flight and became immune to earthly disease so they could shove things up the arse of Stocksbridge residents? I'm sure there would be a better way to learn about us. For example, they could experience the bittersweet beauty of heartbreak by listening to any Steps album.

And before I get accused of trolling my own thread, there is a serious point to make. Someone previously suggested I had my argument backward. They were right. Sometimes I can only get a point straight in my head by saying what I'm thinking, then using the feedback of others as a guide.

What my point really was, is that it is the easiest thing in the world to disbelieve things you haven't directly experienced. That supernatural events are hard to believe/prove/repeat is irrelevant; no-one has proven that they CAN'T exist, there is simply a common acceptance that they don't, because they've been scientifically investigated and no evidence has been found - but the contradiction here is, maybe our technology isn't advanced enough or calibrated to detect certain phenomena.

Take the suggestion that aliens might actually be extra dimensional in nature, in other words they exist in a dimension we cannot see, sense or measure, but there is sometimes an overlap when we can see each other and interact. How would you go about proving what you've seen - and how would you prove that there aren't any extra dimensions, when quantum mechanics basically states that there's got to be?

MajorRawne said:

That supernatural events are hard to believe/prove/repeat is irrelevant; no-one has proven that they CAN'T exist

That is because it is literally impossible to do. You cannot prove a negative assertion. The best that can be done is to cast doubt upon it.

but the contradiction here is, maybe our technology isn't advanced enough or calibrated to detect certain phenomena.

Forever moving goalposts.

Take the suggestion that aliens might actually be extra dimensional in nature, in other words they exist in a dimension we cannot see, sense or measure, but there is sometimes an overlap when we can see each other and interact. How would you go about proving what you've seen - and how would you prove that there aren't any extra dimensions, when quantum mechanics basically states that there's got to be?

Because this entire line or reasoning suggests that we can and simply should just believe in whatever nonsense we can come up with in our heads so long as we can justify said ideas with our misunderstandings and ignorance of modern scientific ideas.

That's one viewpoint, and I agree it's trite to simply say "our technology isn't good enough", but I would not completely dismiss something just because it hasn't been interviewed on the News at Ten. The Loch Ness Monster, for example: maybe it is a hoax or a misidentification of a seal or something (a new kind of seal that looks like a plesiosaur), but what happens if some deep sea expedition actually captures something like it on film out there in the immensity of the ocean? Obviously this might never happen but I don't carry some kind of "possibility calculator", I'm not sure how something can be 100% ruled out. That seems almost arrogant. "No alien race has responded to our signals, therefore we are alone." "Nobody took a good photo of a ghost, therefore they don't exist."

Piper Maru said:

I thought I saw Bigfoot taking a shit in my backyard, but it was actually my neighbor.

Remarkable! I saw my neighbour taking a shit in the street and thought it was Bigfoot!

MajorRawne just keeps going and going.

You even admit your whole approach to this is just wishful thinking. And please stop lumping together ghosts and aliens. No one's claiming alien civilizations can't exist (unlike ghosts), they just don't (can't) visit our stupid planet and even if they could, it wouldn't be to put probes up our asses and explode our cattle. Most people this desperate to believe in magical beings just go with a god of choice.

By the way, those "ghost footsteps" happen a lot at my grandma's house. It's a century old mansion with wooden stairs and parquet floors. Lots of squeaking. The theory we go with is that the parquet tiles get pressured down as people walk over them during the day, then as they go cold in the night, they pop back up in almost perfect order. The effect is really convincing, yet no one in my large extended family ever believed it to be ghosts, heh.

MajorRawne said:

but I would not completely dismiss something just because it hasn't been interviewed on the News at Ten.

When I was a child, I had an imaginary friend...or was it imaginary?

The Loch Ness Monster, for example: maybe it is a hoax or a misidentification of a seal or something (a new kind of seal that looks like a plesiosaur), but what happens if some deep sea expedition actually captures something like it on film out there in the immensity of the ocean?

Then evidence would come to be that a new organism unknown to science exists like so many others? We taxonomically identify it and it goes on the books? Which is something that actually happens every time we send vessels to the abyss.

MajorRawne said:

The Loch Ness Monster, for example: maybe it is a hoax or a misidentification of a seal or something (a new kind of seal that looks like a plesiosaur), but what happens if some deep sea expedition actually captures something like it on film out there in the immensity of the ocean?

I'm not 100% sure about the beast itself, but the best known picture of Nessie has been exposed as a fake and if plesiosaurs (being air breathing reptiles) are to be found anywhere it'll more likely be in shallower coastal waters.

Piper Maru said:

I thought I saw Bigfoot taking a shit in my backyard, but it was actually my neighbor.

I'd consider moving to a better neighborhood.

ghost
Ghost Delta Sierra
Ghost the Bat
Ghost13
Ghost173
GhostFaced
GhostG
ghosting
ghostjwm
GhostlyDeath
Ghostpilot
Ghosty
Ghost`01

Most of these members haven't even posted in the double digits.

Piper Maru said:

So dose your neighbor usually shit in your backyard?

I don't believe in paranormal shit.

I have tripped way too many balls, deep into outer dimensions, plunging into the nether realms, coasting into nothingness to conclude that there is really nothing paranormal. If you think there is, then you have been deceived or are misconceiving your surroundings.

Well, I honestly think noone is in condition to say if ghost do exist or not, talking about concrete clues.

Ledillman said:

Well, I honestly think noone is in condition to say if ghost do exist or not, talking about concrete clues.

I don't have to eat shit to know it doesn't taste good. Likewise I don't necessarily have to have concrete evidence one way or the other to not believe in supernatural entities that exert influence on our reality. If there was evidence to be found, I don't think it would be so exclusive to fringe belief as it is.

Technician said:

ghost
Ghost Delta Sierra
Ghost the Bat
Ghost13
Ghost173
GhostFaced
GhostG
ghosting
ghostjwm
GhostlyDeath
Ghostpilot
Ghosty
Ghost`01

Most of these members haven't even posted in the double digits.

I'm doing my best to compensate for their absence. ;)

MajorRawne said:

Obviously this might never happen but I don't carry some kind of "possibility calculator", I'm not sure how something can be 100% ruled out. That seems almost arrogant.

Who does this?
Not believing in something is not the same as believing something to be false.

I had a box full of DVD cases on my floor. On Wednesday or Thursday of this past week, I stubbed my toe on the box and the case on top fell out.

It was the case for the two Ghostbusters movies. I'm gonna say that Harold Ramis put it there.

I'd say ghosts are inconclusive. On one hand, it's probably a bunch of people who are straight up high, or if their tech goes out then that means someone as probably messing with some sort of electromagnetic pulse toy they found in a cracker jack box, or they killed someone and now think they're seeing the victim out of guilt. Who knows.

If ghosts and such "haunted" things do exist, and can't be proven scientifically (So say the ghost of Ronald Reagan appears on National TV to slap Obama on the ass during a press conference), well it's a pretty hilarious cog in the machine (As in everyone saw the ghastly image of Reagan slap the bear naked brown butt of out President Hussein Obama but no one can prove Reagan was there [Lets say reruns the Ghost seems to disappear and not even anyone's DVR could've grabbed it because HAUNTED SHIT FUCKS SHIT UP] though everyone nation wide saw it).... I don't remember where I was going about this, but I wanted to say "cog in the machine".

Coopersville said:

zombie goasts aint real dummy.

Dead zombie communist ghosts that don't know they are dead took over my street :'(

dew said:

You even admit your whole approach to this is just wishful thinking. And please stop lumping together ghosts and aliens. No one's claiming alien civilizations can't exist (unlike ghosts), they just don't (can't) visit our stupid planet and even if they could, it wouldn't be to put probes up our asses and explode our cattle.

It's harder for me to put a valid discussion across when I'm typing it on my phone, especially when I'm doing it sneakily at work, but I admit that my arguments in this thread haven't been very good.

Aliens and the supernatural are different. What I was actually hoping for were some creepy stories about anything really, I thought that a community as diverse as this one would have loads of weird experiences that you wouldn't find in one of those crappy Mysteries of the Unexplained type books. Creepypasta is fine, but when you go into it knowing beyond doubt it's fake, something is lost.

I suppose my point was that people dismiss stuff as being unlikely, which again is fine, but they express their opinions with such finality, as though it will always be correct, and that everyone who experiences something weird is basically telling falsehoods.

I saw a UFO that scared the shot out of me. It was not any conventional aircraft and it felt "wrong" to look at, like my brain was trying to explain it but there was absolutely nothing to compare it to. The idea of someone who wasn't even there telling me it was a helicopter or balloon winds me up.

MajorRawne said:

I saw a UFO that scared the shot out of me. It was not any conventional aircraft and it felt "wrong" to look at, like my brain was trying to explain it but there was absolutely nothing to compare it to. The idea of someone who wasn't even there telling me it was a helicopter or balloon winds me up.

What did it look like? I'm legitimately interested.

Seriously.

I never saw aliens or UFOs, but I have seen supernatural stuff when I was younger. I don't believe that kind of stuff exists, but I've seen things, though I believe my brain played tricks on me.

Otherwise, my cousin has seen things like that last summer. His step-father feels ghosts and he has weird pictures from the time he was seeking to buy a new house with his wife. He took pictures of the houses he visited when he felt there was ghost.

Once, he went to small house to do his bricklayer job. He had to raise the foundations of the house. There was an old house there. My cousin's step-father told him not to go there.

He later asked the woman which was the owner of both houses why she didn't live there. She said she didn't live there. (That didn't answer why.)

My cousin had to take a crap and he couldn't go in the house that was raised because all the tubing were disconnected. So he went in the other house.

He felt cold air under his butt. Of course, he didn't like that. So he hurried to get out of here. All the picture frames on the wall were titled and there was a knife on a table moving in circles.

To me, the knife part is impossible and the other stuff may just be wind or something like that. The weird thing is the cat, it walked around the house, meowing. It went to eat, relieve itself and then came back to do the same thing again and again. That's strange. I saw pictures of the house, it's 80 years old and there was a kind of translucent being in a window. That may be caused by the sun, so I don't believe it's a ghost.

The UFO was bobbing and weaving in an extremely erratic manner. If there were people aboard, they'd most likely have been extremely airsick, and it's hard to see how they could control the craft as it was gaining and losing height rapidly. It was following some kind of course though - it slowly and drunkenly circled once around the top of a cooling tower then headed back into the sky, where it appeared to vanish. Clouds were visible, but not near the UFO, unless there was some kind of haze in the sky. I thought it "blinked out" of view but my dad said it faded very quickly and disappeared. It was probably moving at around 20mph. It did not rapidly accelerate and did not change speed.

At a rough guess, it was around the size of a small aeroplane eg a Cessna, but it wasn't an aeroplane. It was shaped almost like a top hat except wavering around the edges, no straight curves. It was black and/or grey. There were no lights, no wings and no extrusions other than the raised, curving dome of the top hat shape.

As the object moved away from us, it appeared to change shape into an amorphous blob of the same general size. My dad said it didn't change shape but instead rolled onto its side. My sister, who was standing beside me, said it did appear to change shape and did not roll over.

It hurt to look at because it was of a totally unclassifiable shape and it did not manoeuvre like anything that could have men working in it. A man would have been totally incapacitated by its movements, which were unpredictable and strange, somehow wrong. If it was a manned aircraft, it was in serious trouble, yet somehow it managed to fly in a circle. There was something not right about it, made all the more monstrous by my mind being totally unable to even remotely compare the shape or its behaviour to anything I've seen or heard about.