Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MajorRawne

The OFFICIAL Doomworld Rob Zombie's Halloween thread

Even though they're sordid and horrible with nobody to really get behind - the women are hateful slags and the men are violent pricks - these films are, in my opinion, masterpieces of dark horror. They scare the shit out of me, not just because Michael Myers is purely terrifying, but because the acting is first class. The hospital scene from the second film is probably the most intense and disturbing scene from any horror film except for maybe the sustained tension of The Strangers. These films utterly reject human goodness, but they embrace the darkness in a way that isn't depressing, it's frightening and feels honest, even though it is biased and unrealistic in a way.

I would never recommend these films to fans of the original. They're only for the mo're extreme and twisted horror fans, who want a genuine attempt to provide a psychological element. I also want to shag this new Lori, which I never felt about the original.

What did other people think about them? Was Rob Zombie heavy handed with the psychology, especially the metaphors and dreamscapes of the second? Or was he a bold reinterpreter of classic horror, who created a dark, disturbing legend?

Technician said:

Rob's Halloween 1 & 2 sucked.

That's what I love about Doomworld, the thrust and parry of reasoned debate :P

Why do you think they sucked? I normally hate sordid, ultra violent films, but I think these are brilliant.

Nope, rob zombie is a hack, his movies are shit remakes of shit originals or shit tributes to shit genres and his music is crap as well.

I saw Halloween 1 in theaters with my cousin and some of our friends. The entire cast from Devil's Rejects did a cameo where they were security guards and murdered as some of Meyer's first victims (except for the fat clown who was elsewhere in the movie). BUT its not in the DVD, not even as a deleted scene.

I saw the 2nd movie and it just really seemed like cheap camera work, plus having a 20 minute dream sequence didn't help. I listened to the DVD commentary from Rob for the 2nd movie. Learned a lot such as non breakable walls are cheaper than breakable walls? Maybe its his dry sense of humor.

Also the Geiko Caveman was in the 2nd movie.

I don't watch Rob Zombie films, they're horrible, so I was surprised when he got the rights to Halloween, but I honestly don't understand the criticism of Halloween 1 and 2. Zombie seemed to have loftier intentions than most of the hacks currently making horror films and he got the best out of a talented cast. It feels wrong to be arguing for such squalid films, but they honestly seem under-rated.

Lords of Salem was awful. Very dull, boring, its a very very slow build to craziness happening at the end with a lot of startle scares that none of the characters see, but you the viewer see. But if you like naked elderly its totally for you!

Well I also liked Star Trek Voyager, so maybe I'm just weird. Voyager could have been much harder-hitting, but DS9 was telling edgy stories with tons of continuity, so there had to be some kind of difference in tone. And there was more character development in Voyager than in TNG or Enterprise. (I also like Enterprise very much, despite its obvious, Bermaga-related flaws - and they were all Bermaga-related.)

Comparably, Angel was darker and more aggressive than the humorous teen drama of Buffy; Stargate SG1 was more political, while Atlantis was more action-centric and Universe told difficult stories about humans pushed to the limit.

What has this got to do with Rob Zombie? I don't know.