Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
7hm

Original IWAD author credits

The individual mappers for the official Doom levels are pretty well known, but does anyone know who authored maps in the other IWads / related ports?

I managed to find the Doom 64 level credits in an old interview*, but I'm specifically wondering about Heretic, Hexen, Strife, and any massive console port changes. Even the credits for level design in the games themselves differ from what you see on various FAQs / wikipedia entries.

*just for reference:

Sure - for time reasons, I'll answer in comma'd format (R,D,T style) starting at Level 1. I'm about 90% sure on these.
R,R,D,R,T,D,T,R,R,D,D,T,T,D,R,R,D,R,T,R,T,R,T,R. R(cat-n-mouse),D(hardcore),T(playground),R(last level). D,D,T (the 3 secret levels).
Hectic was done by all of us. We each made a room. Dan made the Hell Knight room, Randy was the falling pit/spawning monster room and I did the elevator room.

7hm said:

I managed to find the Doom 64 level credits in an old interview*,

Where did you find it? Is it on the web?

Specific credits for Heretic, Hexen, and Strife maps will be hard to find. Michael Raymond-Judy talked a bit about it in his interviews, but without giving a precise list like what you have for Doom 64.

How did you create the maps?

Very quickly. I think on average I could crank out a first run at a map in about 3 days, including textures and initial placements. Then it took a few more days (sometimes as much as a week) to tweak textures and items to make it balanced and pretty. Then the boss hated it so we made a new one :)

The editor (DoomEd) was a breeze, other than the fact it had no side view, and aligning textures was a pain. It ran on our "power machine" of the time, a 486sx running on NextStep. Zoom.

What did it feel like to create all the maps of a whole game alone?

I never did that, but I did touch every map that went out. I think I ended up making a bit more than half the maps for the original 3 episodes, and thankfully Eric Biessman got hired and he cranked out a bazillion maps for the SotSR add-on. But I can say that FIXING all the maps for an entire game, especially ones done in a hurry by someone else, is, well, "not fun". Except of course that I got to add little secret rooms and traps to their maps and move weapons for deathmatch, so when we played the "builder's edge" suddenly shifted to me :) (or as someone one said, "Now I am the master!").

The original Heretic had a secret map at E4M1. Who did create this map, what was the reason for it, why hasn't the map been finished, and what name would you've given it if you'd have had to?

It was supposed to be a deathmatch-only map, I think it was patterned off a Doom DM map (built by American McGee I think). There were so many versions of Heretic put out (freeware, shareware, retail, add-on) that I think it got lost in there somewhere. I don't think I ever thought of a name for it.

Gez said:

Where did you find it? Is it on the web?

Specific credits for Heretic, Hexen, and Strife maps will be hard to find. Michael Raymond-Judy talked a bit about it in his interviews, but without giving a precise list like what you have for Doom 64.

Yeah, it's from an interview with Tim Heydelaar & Randy Estrella on Doom Depot.

e: Cool, that interview you posted has some answers already.

Well, not much, but at least it tells you who made e2m6. Also, it looks like for the main Heretic game, Michael Raymond-Judy can be credited on every single map, whereas on the expansion there are at least three - him, Eric Biessman, and Brian Raffle (e2m6).

Has anyone managed to compile a complete list of the Heretic and Hexen map authors? I've looked everywhere and haven't found anything more concrete than this thread. Asking because I'd like to add author credits to my bot that posts random Doom engine screenshots: http://wadbot.tumblr.com

Not as far as I'm aware.

I know a few other maps with mystery authors, too: the extramap.wad included with the 3DO resource dump (Romero couldn't ID it), the deathmatch maps included with GBA Doom, and some of the new maps in the PlayStation version.