Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

Ah, nice - a 32-unit glide between a thing and a wall. That's essentially a standard glide (i.e. not flat-faced) so east->west vs west->east etc. shouldn't make an enormous difference.

I don't recall too many glides between things, apart from my own on Osiris map06. (The standard wiggles on Doom2 map19 are a different matter, though that map also offers 32-unit glides between things.) I'd guess there are a fair few glides of this type that are waiting to be discovered. A Prb+ option to show things' bounding boxes in the automap might help track them down.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Does it count if you do it on I'm too young to die or hey not too rough?

As far as I'm concerned they're just different categories, so yeah why not. Except they don't appear on this list on the DSDA, so it's up to Andy to decide whether they're legit I guess. However once in a while people upload Hurt Me Plenty runs of super hard maps such as Disturbia to the forums, so personally I see nothing wrong with other difficulty levels (although only Ancalagon's UV Max run exists on the DSDA).

Plutonia ep3 in 11:38
I had to see if that glide was viable in ep runs. Apparently it is. Pretty sloppy but I'm kinda rusty.

There are demos in all kinds of difficulties on DSDA, vdgg did a mm2 skill3 run and doom2 has mostly episode and full runs on all skills. I'm sure there's lots of others, especially in movie categories. They're always listed as "other". There's much dumber stuff on DSDA than skill 1 or 2 runs (check out Beginners doom ep1 ballerina run...)

1138pl21.zip

Plutonia movie in 30:44

Third Plutonia movie. Probably at around 3000 attempts by now, heh. After that ep3 run I tried to polish some strats and ended up with this. First 20 levels go really well, over 2:30 faster than the compet-n run. Then all goes to shit but I still end up under 31. Obviously the part I mess up is the part I practised the most lately. First 10 maps are 2 seconds faster than the ep1 record.

30pl3044.zip

TNT Evilution Movie in 52:36
Played in Cndoom 2.02

False alarm, just me screwing up compatibilities as usual when playing
back the demo on prboom+

30ev5236.zip

Dime said:

Plutonia movie in 29:29
Played in cndoom 2.02

You can't beat bumper car doom by more than one second? Jokes aside, grats on the run. I will say that I was expecting a real improvement though, lol.

Thanks Kunkun, sometimes things go wrong in a run! Final frontier and genesis were the big culprits in this run unfortunately.

Dime said:

Thanks Kunkun, sometimes things go wrong in a run! Final frontier and genesis were the big culprits in this run unfortunately.

I will say I'm going to be mad as fuck if you leave the run at that. Especially for SDA you should use the map17 death exit and aim for at least sub 28. Sadly I don't think I can really play anymore because I started getting carpal tunnel problems during the last grind. That 29:30 is probably the last run for me so if you just want the record you can just have it without anyone kicking you in the ass to improve it.

On map28 you can avoid the second teleporters (in the room with the possible linedef skip) by only firing while standing on water by the way. I also still think your map30 setup is silly, you should "always" get at most two cycle.

I hate to reply on such threads without having watched the last run, but...

kunkun said:

Sadly I don't think I can really play anymore because I started getting carpal tunnel problems during the last grind.

Damn dude. I hope it gets better. You probably know the facts already, but

Most patients with carpal tunnel syndrome improve with conservative measures and medications. Occasionally, chronic pressure on the median nerve can result in persistent numbness and weakness. In order to avoid serious and permanent nerve and muscle consequences of carpal tunnel syndrome, surgical treatment is considered. Surgery involves severing the band of tissue around the wrist to reduce pressure on the median nerve. This surgical procedure is called "carpal tunnel release." It can now be performed with a small diameter viewing tube, called an arthroscope, or by open wrist procedure. After carpal tunnel release, patients often undergo exercise rehabilitation. Though it is uncommon, symptoms can recur.

Previously it states that in some cases, it gets better on its own (depending on what causes it). You should probably give it some time and see what happens.

Sorry for getting off topic. To thread subscribers: Please continue the great runs. :)

Dime said:

Uses map 17 suicide

Yay, finally. That long route in all the previous runs was bugging me, heh.

Grats on the run dime. I'm not sure if sub 28 is even going to be worth the grind unless there's some new strats found. One small thing that might help is getting the backpack at the beginning of map19 since otherwise you end up missing bunch of plasma pickups due to being capped at 300.

Here's some old junk I recorded a while ago. Outside of ep1 seems like no one has beaten these yet so might as well post.
Pl ep1 in 8:40
Pl ep2 in 8:26
Pl ep3 in 11:00

plepisodes.zip

It's worth beating, but it will be frustrating due to the great ep 1 outside of caughtyard. If I didn't make the anti-christ mistake then ya I would likely leave this alone for awhile.

Dime said:

Plutonia movie in 27:20
Played in Cndoom 2.02

I want to push this a touch further before I call it quits.

Congratulations man, this is really good. Now you can call me all the awful things you ever want. I'm surprised theres still room for improvement and even more surprised you're actually going to go for it.

It would be less of an issue if the errors were more spread out, but it's maps genesis through compound that im unhappy with in this run. Of course the rest is very solid with the exception of final frontier so we'll see how runs are going.

Good work on pushing the boundary, Dime. Now find a new Doom goal. :)

Dime said:

Plutonia movie in 26:46
Played in cndoom 2.02

Enjoy! This is my final submission to this category.

Amazing ... breathtaking ... excellent ... thanks! :-)

TNT Movie in 52:31
Played in cndoom 2.02

This movie doesn't break, thats a plus.

Up and down run, awful mistake on Mill + Heck. Slight improvement!

Dime said:

TNT Movie in 52:31
Played in cndoom 2.02

This movie doesn't break, thats a plus.

Up and down run, awful mistake on Mill + Heck. Slight improvement!

Holy shit what a fantastic run! Is what I would be saying if the demo was posted. I think you may have pressed "preview reply" which is a bit funny with attachments after an item has been attached.