Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

mouldy said:

Funny I also just discovered a secret route which thanks to the mastermind door thing allows you to finish the map in under 30 seconds without firing a shot.

More like under 20! :P
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1244395

I bet someone could shave a few seconds off of that still. You could get over the exit bars a bit earlier by jumping off of the EXIT signs.

edit: On further inspection it looks like this is intentional? It's not the SMM that opens the door but a walkover linedef in that secret passage. Odd choice, but okay.

And yes this did exist in the Dec13 beta. I don't remember anyone saying anything about it then. The sector 768 specials were in the beta too, but Crispy Doom didn't exist at that time...

plums said:

More like under 20! :P
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1244395

I bet someone could shave a few seconds off of that still. You could get over the exit bars a bit earlier by jumping off of the EXIT signs.

edit: On further inspection it looks like this is intentional? It's not the SMM that opens the door but a walkover linedef in that secret passage. Odd choice, but okay.
And yes this did exist in the Dec13 beta. I don't remember anyone saying anything about it then.

haha excellent! And yes you are right, the mastermind doesn't open the door, so it is intentional. Thats hilarious.

I never heard of crispy doom. I used some transfer heights specials in one of my maps figuring its only cosmetic and limit removing ports would either recognise them or ignore them. I guess that won't pass the crispy test either...

mouldy said:

I never heard of crispy doom. I used some transfer heights specials in one of my maps figuring its only cosmetic and limit removing ports would either recognise them or ignore them. I guess that won't pass the crispy test either...

It's a very recent patch to Chocolate Doom, and in fact it doesn't have a proper name yet, but Crispy Doom was one of the suggestions and writing "fabian's limit-raising patch to chocolate doom" is too long so that's what I'm calling it for now :P

Transfer heights linedefs (it is a linedef action, right?) should be fine as long as they're in a control sector where the player can't interact with them. The Boom sector specials only cause a problem when the player enters that sector. That said, all of your Nova maps crash in Crispy Doom at some point, because it's a "limit-raising" port and not "limit-removing", and so is still susceptible to VPOs etc. in highly detailed areas.

MAP27 was originally aimed at a port other than limit-removing when I got it from Alwaysdoomed. I had to remove a lot of the advanced features and the linedefs specials you're all mentioning I have not noticed before, and are therefore something I haven't removed or touched.

And the early secret exit in MAP27 is intentional, but the Spider Mastermind is not supposed to be able to open the door. The door should only open by itself if you go through the secret that leads you to the rocket launcher outcropping. If the door opens otherwise, there is a fault there.

I did a little testing and couldn't get the mastermind to open the door so must have been just going over that line that did it for me.

Since crispy has limits I guess we don't need to worry about that port.

Seems like there's also a sector effect of type 1024 on MAP27. Clearing it and the 768s makes the map Crispy-compatible. I guess it's nothing to worry about though, since the wad as a whole isn't compatible with that port, which probably only has a few people at most using it right now anyhow :P

kildeth said:

And the early secret exit in MAP27 is intentional, but the Spider Mastermind is not supposed to be able to open the door. The door should only open by itself if you go through the secret that leads you to the rocket launcher outcropping. If the door opens otherwise, there is a fault there.

Sorry, that was entirely me jumping the gun. Everything regarding the blue key works as intended I believe. I just got surprised since I didn't see that shortcut at all during earlier playtesting. Even though I did find those secrets before, I guess I got them after already opening the blue key door.

Great stream tonight, there is one suggestion based on the playthrough.
Map10 - The yellow key door should be marked as a repeatable linedef action 136 instead of the singular linedef action 137. Because if you access the secret in the final area you can lock yourself out of the exit room.
Otherwise the maps look great to play through, so again great job to everyone on the Nova team.

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/3776338 = part 2 of my NOVA playthrough. (maps 10-15 & secret level map 31 covered)

Boy is the difficulty getting harder in this megawad! Maps 15 and 31 had some intense encounters on them, but generally I'm feeling that the difficulty has gone up some after the end of map 10.

Sure helped to have most of the NOVA mappers in the chat this evening, especially Dobu on his "gggmork"-esque secret map. (only lacked a silly joke in it) Am still enjoying NOVA: The Birth though, can't wait to see what the other half of this project has in store for me.

Also congrats to Dobu on showcasing HOW to do a puzzle level in Doom correctly without being about obnoxious switch hunting. Although granted I'm also glad Dobu was in the chat because the puzzles weren't that easy for me to figure out.

It's a warm and happy feeling to have helped a project (as in submit maps to it in this case) and then see it fresh out the door...

We did it.

If there is ever a round 2, you know where to find me.

Hey guys,

Just a few corrections to the novainfo.txt I would like to note:

1. The music for map 29 (Extorta Nova) is not what is listed in the text file. Some time in early 2013, I showed fiend-o-hell the current track and he liked it enough to replace the listed track,

Map 29's track is "Castle Cimmeria" theme from the Lands Of Lore: Throne of Chaos soundtrack, Composed by Frank Klepacki, Paul S. Mudra & Dwight K. Okahara

Map 31's midi is actually "ohno2.mid", "quickfast.mid" was not used in Nova, but it was used in dobu gabu maru's standalone map (the one he made for nova, and decided it was too big so released it on its own)

Paul D said:

Hey guys,

Just a few corrections to the novainfo.txt I would like to note:

Me too.
The MIDI in MAP26 is actually called "Becoming - Pantera"

While we're reporting bugs, Suitepee, during his stream, found a major bug in Hell's Furnace that renders the map impossible to finish.

After you enter the Yellow Key door, it slams shut behind you for the fight, and is impossible to open. This is fine in itself, but there is a secret which teleports you back outside the door, making the map unwinnable.

My bad.

I dont know if there's anyway to fix things that have already been uploaded to /idgames, altough I suspect there is. It's just a simple matter of changing the linedef action.

Found a problem in map07:

The secret is impossible to trigger in prboom, most likely because of the sector type changing shenanigans included which deletes the secret flag of the sector. See the Secret-article in doom.wikia for reference. The metal wall in front of the soulsphere alcove is completely unnecessary too since the player, barring a linedef skip, will not even know it has been there by the time you'll make it to that point. It would only be a matter of removing the tag 8 actions/adjusting the secret sector's floor height and nothing would be lost from a players point of view.

Hey, Suitepee. When is Part 3 of the stream coming? I've been waiting excitedly for a while now!

Arjak said:

Hey, Suitepee. When is Part 3 of the stream coming? I've been waiting excitedly for a while now!

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

How about right now, tonight! It's time for part 3 of my livestreaming coverage of this (so far) awesome megawad, as I resume from the super secret map (MAP32) and see what toils lie ahead.....and which mappers show me to help/laugh/spot technical bugs.

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/3822292 = part 3 of my livestream playthrough.

Half-way through, half-way to go. And the maps keep on remaining tough and tricky and full of newbie mapper surprises!

Mouldy's map 19 here deserves special mention for having some of the most detailed and awesome visuals in a Doom level ever, especially that ending Cyberdemon fight room! I look forward to seeing a lot more of mouldy's attention to detail in the future (and on the other maps he did for this wad).

Hurricyclone's map 32 was a bit awkward at times but I liked the whole 'use the chainsaw a lot to survive' thing.

I'm also declaring cannonball to be "Rottking Jr" for having a similar knack of evil bastard enemy placement on both his levels so far!

Can't wait for part 4, when I'll probably struggle some more....

(P.S. Cheers for Arjak for missing a group appointment to come watch his map 20 be played through! And to all the other mappers that showed also!)

glad you are enjoying it suitepee, its entertaining watching the stream, although on my slow internet I only get about 10 seconds of video before it freezes and buffers.

Some epic battles to come.

I'd join the stream except I have limited internet credit and would rather not have it run out on me as that stuff can be expensive. :(

joe-ilya said:

Will you livestream part 4 in the weekend?

I will strive to try and do part 4 this weekend, yes!

That's funny, my problem with Suitepee's stream (tried watching part 2?) is not the internet but that my slow computer can't handle 1080p streaming in flash. I get like 4 FPS. I downloaded some of the past ones to browse through them though, been fairly enjoyable.

Suitepee you should check out The Eye by mouldy if you haven't played it before, it's really a treat visually. Quite fun too though also quite hard.

Suitepee said:

I will strive to try and do part 4 this weekend, yes!

Sunday evening would be great for me :)
Oh and add "going down" to the list of mouldy wads to try, episode 1 is burried somewhere within the section of the forum.

cannonball said:

Sunday evening would be great for me :)
Oh and add "going down" to the list of mouldy wads to try, episode 1 is burried somewhere within the section of the forum.

That reminds me, episode 2 is one the way, time for an update..