Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meapineapple

SLADE Troubles

I added a texture patch and a new flat but neither shows up in Doom Builder. What gives?
http://i.imgur.com/FC1b4T7.png
http://i.imgur.com/tIFgIM6.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q7vCh4X.png
http://i.imgur.com/1W9A5A4.png

Previous, solved issues:

What exactly is going on here? I'm trying to convert an image to Doom format, which is an indexed BMP with the Doom palette. (Also tried a PNG but the same thing happened.) SLADE fucks the colors.
http://i.imgur.com/X8PBnFc.gif

Trying to run SLADE hits me with this error. SLumpED gives me a very similar one. (MSVCR70.dll instead of the other.) I'd already installed that x86 Visual C++ thing. Tried grabbing the x64 version as well to see if that would work, and it didn't. How do I fix this?

Did you set your base resources up and then select doom2.wad? Should be on the top-right of the window.

meapineapple said:

And now I'm having all sorts of issues adding textures to a wad. Poop.

Don't know if this would be any useful for you, as you maybe already know what I'm gonna say.

Simplest way to add custom wall textures: Place your patches in between PP_START and PP_END markers. Convert them to Graphic(Doom) format. Now open DOOM2.WAD in SLADE3. Search for entries called TEXTURE1 and PNAMES. Copy-paste these two entries into your wad (not between PP_START and PP_END markers). Now select your patches, use context menu and choose Textures->Add to TEXTUREX. Now the textures should be properly added and available in the map editor.

See also here:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Adding_custom_textures

Doom wiki is a good place where to seek for various information, including the editing related.

http://doomwiki.org

Haven't even gotten as far as working out names and things. When I try to convert the image to doom format something goes wonky. (See the GIF in the OP.)

I don't think there is an actual problem. When you convert, it displays a greyscale image, showing that the current global palette is greyscale. Then you choose the Doom palette, and it does the conversion using it; but keep in mind that the palette information is not kept in the image with Doom's graphic formats (both sprites/patches and flats). So when you display it, it is still displayed with the greyscale global palette.

So the question now is, "why is the global palette greyscaled"? You'll want to look at those two things:

SLADE will display stuff using the palette from the palette chooser (on the right). If it's set to "existing/global" as it is by default, then it'll look for a palette to use in this order:
1. Current active archive
2. Any open archive
3. The base resource archive
4. Fallback to a default greyscale palette which is guaranteed to be present

So if you have no palette in your current archive and the base resource archive is not set (displaying <none> as in the image above) then it'll fallback to the greyscale palette.

You can also, of course, choose the greyscale palette from the palette chooser, too. It'll be at the very bottom of the drop-down. (But before any custom palettes or test palettes.)

So you've replaced ASHWALL6's patch and added a new flat, and they don't show up. I kind of feel like it's more of a Doom Builder trouble.

Have you...

• Made sure to save the .wad in SLADE, and then reload resources in Builder?
  • Tried adding the .wad as a resource file when loading the map in Builder?

Gez said:

• Made sure to save the .wad in SLADE, and then reload resources in Builder?

Yep

Gez said:

• Tried adding the .wad as a resource file when loading the map in Builder?

Tried that, no dice.

Sometimes (but not always) when I load the map in Doom Builder I get an error: "None of the loaded resources define a color palette. Did you forget to configure an IWAD for this game configuration?"

Here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10116881/modding/doom/Moonbase/moonbase-bad-tex.wad

Is that the right file? it's not got any textures/flats in it, just a map.

Sorry, this is the strangest thing. SLADE says it's in the wad file I copied, but not the one pasted into Dropbox. Tried it a couple more times and the same thing happened - source file is fine, pasted file doesn't have the lumps. I'll report back when I've figured out what's going on.

edit: I got the file there another way and the lumps should be in there now, same link as before. This shouldn't be the problem I've been having with Doom Builder, SLADE says the lumps are in the wad I've been editing.

So the flat works fine for me in DB, maybe you have to select the right wad though? I think by default DB shows only flats/textures in the main iwad, and you need to select either "All" or your specific wad.

For the wall texture (which is really a patch), it's not enough to add a new graphic between PP_START and P_END. There's 3 things you can do:

one:

• Select the texture(s) in SLADE
  • go to Graphic > Add to TEXTUREx
  • select OK at the prompt
  • choose "Import From Base Resource Archive"
This will create new TEXTURE1 and PNAMES entries in your wad. Generally this is the best way to do it.

two:
For ZDoom and some other ports, you can use the markers TX_START and TX_END for texture graphics, instead of PP_START and P_END.

three:
Make your patch the same name (and ideally the same size) as a patch in the iwad, such as RW22_1, which is used in the ASHWALL2 texture. Not recommended but you'll see it sometimes for replacing skies, especially in older wads.

Original Doom textures had a few parts to them. Patches are the actual graphics, and a list of all patches is included in the PNAMES lump. Textures are an arrangement of one or more patches, stored in the TEXTURE1 (and optionally TEXTURE2) lumps. Wad editors use texture names and not patch names, which is why you see things like RW22_1 as a patch name for the texture ASHWALL2.

There's no real reason to not have one patch per texture, both with the same name, for added graphics in a wad. This patch/texture system was mostly to save disk space (I think?), since a small patch could be extended to a larger texture or used in multiple textures.

plums said:

For the wall texture (which is really a patch), it's not enough to add a new graphic between PP_START and P_END.

In that case it was enough because it was replacing an existing patch used by an existing texture. (RW27_2 is used by ASHWALL6.)

meapineapple said:

Sorry, this is the strangest thing. SLADE says it's in the wad file I copied, but not the one pasted into Dropbox. Tried it a couple more times and the same thing happened - source file is fine, pasted file doesn't have the lumps. I'll report back when I've figured out what's going on.

The only thing I can see resulting in this behavior is Windows' folder virtualization: if SLADE does not have write access to the folder where the file is present (typically, because it is in a subfolder of Program Files), then Windows will create a copy in a virtual folder and let it change that copy. However other programs trying to access the same file would get a different copy.

This is why you shouldn't install games in Program Files, by the way.

Gez said:

The only thing I can see resulting in this behavior is Windows' folder virtualization: if SLADE does not have write access to the folder where the file is present (typically, because it is in a subfolder of Program Files), then Windows will create a copy in a virtual folder and let it change that copy. However other programs trying to access the same file would get a different copy.

This is why you shouldn't install games in Program Files, by the way.

Well fuck, that's exactly the problem. Thank you much for pointing that out. Yep, Windows 8 is balls.

Thanks also, plums, for the bit about textures, I hadn't been able to find a thorough tutorial online for adding new ones as opposed to patches.

By the way, is there any resource that lists which patches make up each texture?

meapineapple said:

I hadn't been able to find a thorough tutorial online for adding new ones as opposed to patches.

There's this old thing. There needs to be a tutorial about texture composition as well.

meapineapple said:

By the way, is there any resource that lists which patches make up each texture?

In SLADE's texture editor, on a texture lump tab you can browse through textures to see which patches they use, and on the pnames tab you can browse through patches to see which textures use them.