Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Livo

Spiderdemon concept art

I was flicking through DW's screenshot index from the Legacy section when I saw this nice piece of art

http://www.doomworld.com/shots/e32k2/ss15.jpg

I think that the plasma cannon, or whatever it is should be mounted lower, as it looks like its mouth is nearly enclosing it. Could just be the angle though. Other than that, it looks great. What do you guys think?

it looks almost like the face is like decoration, lke a hood over the machinery, i don't know...feeling sleepy...must shut eyes...

I think that the desing of the new cyberdemon looks way too Strogg.
Also the new Pinky, looks like a developed Q2 parasite.

Well, the spiderdemon looks very impressive, but it's the type of monster that needs lots of space, so I don't expect to see it very often.

Alboroto said:

Well, the spiderdemon looks very impressive, but it's the type of monster that needs lots of space, so I don't expect to see it very often.

Where is the pic of the new Cyber Demon?

Yeah, I don't think they've shown the new cyberdemon. I'm sure it'll be a while before id lets us get a glimpse of it.

Alboroto said:

Firstly, what are YOU talking about? Cyberdemon??? Nothing we've seen so far is the cybie. Have you seen something we haven't? The new pinky actually looks awesome and even feels like the old one imo, despite the mechanical legs.

And your statement about not seeing the spidey that often is kinda redundant - the SM is likely going to be a boss, meaning that you'll only encounter it once.

I can't tell if that's the Arachnotron or the Spider Mastermind, but then again it doesn't matter to me. It looks terrifying and awesome.

Fredrik said:

I like this spidey. Quite a lot.

Yeah. I can't wait to see it in action. I wonder if there will be more than one variant, though.

Alboroto said:

I think that the desing of the NEW CYBERDEMON looks way too Strogg.

Sorry people... I meant to say the NEW BULLDEMON...

Shaviro said:

Yeah. I can't wait to see it in action. I wonder if there will be more than one variant, though.

Possibly there will be just one, with power somewhere between that of the Arachnotron and the Spider Mastermind.

DooMBoy said:

I can't tell if that's the Arachnotron

It's the arachnotron; green plasma gun gives it away, plus the mastermind's brain was actually in a glass dome and this new artwork matches the arachnotrons dimensions much more than a mastermind.

Lüt said:

It's the arachnotron; green plasma gun gives it away, plus the mastermind's brain was actually in a glass dome and this new artwork matches the arachnotrons dimensions much more than a mastermind.

Eh? Glass dome? I don't see no glass dome on that thing, only some sort of wires inserted into the sides of its head leading to the back of its brain or something - I don't think it looks like a glass dome.

Anyway, after seeing this spider concept, I can imagine that the SM could look even cooler and even more evil than this potential Archno.

I do believe that what we are seeing is the arachnotron, but I don't agree that the present mastermind is encased in a glass dome.

I know what made you believe so. The spider mastermind has two thin cables running from it's brain back to it's carriage. Some might believe that this is the haze of an otherwise invisible glass dome.

But you did give us an idea that might turn out useful in the Freedoom project.

Heh, I have long been thinking that if the spider mastermind would be in Doom 3 it should at least have a glass dome to protect its brainy hide, but I haven't seen any proof that the old one has it :-)

What the Hell? I don't remember a glass dome.

Does anyone have a pic of the original model to confirm this?

Dat Archnotron looks ill as fuck! I can't wait to see da rest of da monsters pics! Very realistic, and scary lookin.

The only 'glass dome' ever mentioned concerning the SM was in the novels.
Still, if this truly is the Arachnotron, then the SM should be one scary arsed bastard.

Spike said:

Still, if this truly is the Arachnotron, then the SM should be one scary arsed bastard.

That's what I expect too >:-)

dsm said:

...The new pinky actually looks awesome and even feels like the old one imo, despite the mechanical legs.

And your statement about not seeing the spidey that often is kinda redundant - the SM is likely going to be a boss, meaning that you'll only encounter it once.

Yeah, the new pinky is a well made critter: look at all that mass of flesh and these geeky leg ehchancements!!!

The new arachnotron looks great also: take a look at the brain mass, it went out of skull... What IQ should it had, heh...

And of course SMM will the ugliest fuckface ever, exuse my french and hei, Spidey has no glass dome, what the purpose of that shit...

Call it strange, but I've always thought that the Arachnotron should have had the chaingun (small one obviously) and that the Spider Mastermind should have had a beefed up plasma cannon.

Oh well, the Spider Mastermind will be a very nasty opponent, especially if he has some decent AI and sounds coded in.

Livo said:

Call it strange, but I've always thought that the Arachnotron should have had the chaingun (small one obviously) and that the Spider Mastermind should have had a beefed up plasma cannon.

Oh well, the Spider Mastermind will be a very nasty opponent, especially if he has some decent AI and sounds coded in.

Well, it's not an ordinary chaingun that the SMM has. It's chaingun cannon I believe as it seems to do more damage than a regular chaingun.
But maybe I'm wrong all the same, but remember: The chaingun is hit-scan, making it impossible to dodge without cover - the slow plasmagun that the arachno weilds is relatively easy to dodge.

The arachnotron plasma gun is not the coolest plasma gun in the world. It's firing rate frankly sucks!

It is also my opinion that masterminds were not meant for combat. Though they are armed to counter threats their real function is to, well, mastermind the demonic forces. When a mastermind is forced to actually participate in real combat it usually not planned.

dsm said:

Well, it's not an ordinary chaingun that the SMM has. It's chaingun cannon I believe as it seems to do more damage than a regular chaingun.
But maybe I'm wrong all the same, but remember: The chaingun is hit-scan, making it impossible to dodge without cover - the slow plasmagun that the arachno weilds is relatively easy to dodge.

Isn't it called the Super Chaingun?

The SM chaingun actually fires shotgun rounds, not bullets, the same as the Former Commandos (heavy weapon dudes). A bullet-based chaingun wouldn't do anywhere near that amount of damage.

Spike said:

The SM chaingun actually fires shotgun rounds, not bullets, the same as the Former Commandos (heavy weapon dudes). A bullet-based chaingun wouldn't do anywhere near that amount of damage.

heh. It would be pretty lame if the chaingunner was as dangerous as the Spider.

Little Faith said:

I know what made you believe so. The spider mastermind has two thin cables running from it's brain back to it's carriage. Some might believe that this is the haze of an otherwise invisible glass dome.

Actually, I read in the novels that it did. I thought it was a stupid addition to the story until I looked at the actual sprites and saw it. I don't think those are cables, just the edges of the dome, since id couldn't make a transparent dome given Doom's limitations without it looking utterly horrible.

If the spider mastermind actually had a glass dome around its head, then I'm sure there would be circular contour in *all* frames, around the entire head. Now look at these:

I see no indication of a glass dome, none whatsoever. The author of the DOOM novels is a retard, and you should not follow his stupidity.