Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

Eris Falling said:

The list in the OP has been blanked save for any other uncompleted changes which will be ready for the next one (I presume)

Wow, now a relatively clean release it looks reasonably reachable! Did you PM CorSair at any point like you wanted? I really want to see the light change integrated because IMO it turns the outdoors of that map from kinda meh-looking to quite atmospheric.

Edit: I just noticed some bits of sky cutoff in map27. Since I already went through that map fixing mistakes I might as well adress that.

Edit2: here you go, I knew I'd miss something. It was in the zimmer-and-bloodfall blue key area, on both sides.

I PM'd CorSair but he hasn't replied.
I'll add your change to 27, but it won't be in TNS tomorrow, I don't want to flood them with updates :P

Returning to the topic of sky tiling, map15 has some in the secret exit. I presume if there's other "sky hole" things throughout the wad there might be some in any of them... Does anyone except for me feel that they are worth fixing? Or should we just leave sky hole exits like that? We did fix a couple already (in maps 22 and 27 for example).

Fellowzdoomer said:

When will UDINO start up?

Also, this. I have some renewed enthusiasm to do a map or two for a project like this one, and I don't remember what Jay said about it last time it was brought up...

Antroid said:

Returning to the topic of sky tiling, map15 has some in the secret exit. I presume if there's other "sky hole" things throughout the wad there might be some in any of them... Does anyone except for me feel that they are worth fixing? Or should we just leave sky hole exits like that? We did fix a couple already (in maps 22 and 27 for example).

Also, this. I have some renewed enthusiasm to do a map or two for a project like this one, and I don't remember what Jay said about it last time it was brought up...

I can replace the sky texture with lava for the next beta. Hopefully I won't go too crazy trying to fix stuff in that map :P

Maps 14, 20, and 21 also have relatively minor cases of sky tiling in the exit holes, and MAP18 has a pretty horrendous view into the empty sky above the exit. That one REALLY needs some sort of fence on the side that is visible from the window above (left side if looking at the exit, the window is on the right). If kongming is declared unavaibale, I can do that in his place.

Noticed a small oddity in MAP08 also. The switch tagged 6 that drops a bunch of floors instantly doesn't animate when pressed (playing in zdoom). However by switching the upper texture on that linedef to a variation without the switch (METAL1) you can fix this - it starts animating. Apparently when there's a switch as both the lower and the upper texture, zdoom only does the upper? If any at all?

As a bonus, after doing that fix you can point at the upper texture in doom builder's 3d view and auto align it with the surrounding METAL1.

I feel like I should run around maps looking for tutti-frutti and various overflows now, seeing as I have only been testing in zdoom.

Eris Falling said:

I PM'd CorSair but he hasn't replied.

Yeah, hasnt been online in a while. PM tracking says he still hasnt seen the TNTR texture pack yet.

Anyway, a new beta? I knew you guys would be pumping out new versions faster than I can be motivated to play them ._.

Slow player is slow.

Antroid said:

Maps 14, 20, and 21 also have relatively minor cases of sky tiling in the exit holes, and MAP18 has a pretty horrendous view into the empty sky above the exit. That one REALLY needs some sort of fence on the side that is visible from the window above (left side if looking at the exit, the window is on the right). If kongming is declared unavaibale, I can do that in his place.

Somebody said the guy who did map18 hasn't been seen for a while so think it would be best to fix his map in his absence.

Here's a version of map20 that replaces the sky floor exit with a pool of blood:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5whipzydy36w0wc/d2ino-map20-mar6.zip

Hey Eris, I know you said you're not making any more updates to the new beta but I've made a few bug fixes and updates to Map 08 here. Chief among those updates are multiplayer starts and multiplayer monster and thing placement - both things which may or may not be important in actual multiplayer playing. :V I may join in tomorrow night's festivities as well, as I'd like to see how Map 08 plays with other people.

EDIT: while I'm at it, have my (possible) final update for map 17. More multiplayer shenanigans included, I believe!

just playing through beta V, i noticed too late there's a beta VI already. using the latest official gzdoom (no svn build) with doom expanded and ketchupmod, and i'm stuck in the "throne room" on map31... killed everythîng inside and can't get out. otherwise a stunning map, and the music, omg. where's that from? the crates and walls look like they're from rtcw. thanks, herr xaser.

same on map07, another great one. i killed the mancs, arachnos and the mastermind, and then i'm supposed to climb some stairs to a place filled with revenants... except the stairs don't appear. did i miss something or is that a technical problem?

Pirx said:

using the latest official gzdoom (no svn build) with doom expanded and ketchupmod, and i'm stuck in the "throne room" on map31... killed everythîng inside and can't get out.

Did you make sure to use the deh file as well as the wad file? The way out of the throne room opens when you kill a custom enemy added in the deh. Dunno what's up with 07 though, it always worked for me. Did you have a save at that moment? It should be possible to noclip to where the enemies spawn from and see if anyone's left and if someone is, where exactly (one of the guys who spawn or one of the guys who are supposed to be killed before even spawning, for example).

Speaking of which, Eris, any chance of adding the deh as a lump directly in the wad? That way at least with zdoom we wouldn't have to bother with the actual DEH file, I know I'm not used to needing to use it too. I thought zdoom autoloaded them but apparently most wads I played just had a copy of it as a lump in them.

Oh, and map 18 antfix. Extended the area beyond the exit to block any sky tiling (one fence didn't turn out to be enough...), and also added exit signs because with the area extended it wasn't as obvious that this was the exit.

Fellowzdoomer said:

So is it ok to start udino or wait till it's surpassed mappers ocd over maps :-p

UDINO is supposed to start when this one is completely finished.

Pirx said:

just playing through beta V, i noticed too late there's a beta VI already. using the latest official gzdoom (no svn build) with doom expanded and ketchupmod, and i'm stuck in the "throne room" on map31... killed everythîng inside and can't get out. otherwise a stunning map, and the music, omg. where's that from? the crates and walls look like they're from rtcw. thanks, herr xaser

Nice to see I'm not the only one who has witnessed the very anticlimatic fight with a single Wolf SS :P
That music is a new one, Jimmy wrote it at Xaser's request for the map

Okay, now THIS is the point where I can't resist to the force! I must do a LP about it! I'm gonna update this comment when it happened.

Katamori said:

Okay, now THIS is the point where I can't resist to the force! I must do a LP about it! I'm gonna update this comment when it happened.

You should probably wait until the issues from The List are all resolved.

Updates added.
I'm just going to post an early warning that I would appear to be entering a situation that in the worst-case scenario will force me into one of those infamous Doomworld hiatuses.
Uncross your fingers. Yes, you.
Jokes aside, in the event that this does happen, which I seriously hope it doesn't, and this still isn't finished, I nominate Antroid and/or mouldy as emergency project leader(s), just to get things finished up.

As I say, it shouldn't come to that, but it's worth giving this warning. Let's not forget why I'm leading this :P

Eris, would you at least be able to warn us if you're about to disappear? I wouldn't mind taking over the last steps if you do (then it would be in my power to be the hard-ass overlord who would just go and fix all the freaking sky tiling holes himself, as well as implement map09 without having to wait for CorSair. Although I have no idea what a proper "seemingly clean" release entails besides just uploading the wad to mediafire and maybe making a new thread for it), but I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions if you just don't post for a day or something.

Katamori said:

Antroid, I wouldn't mind skipping the rest on any maps if a fatal issue happens somewhere.

I don't think there'll be a fatal issue at this point, but I really want map09 to look slightly better before people pass their judgements. (Without any false modesty, I do think that the simple lighting change I made to it turned it from so-so to pleasant)

On a related note, do you want a guest commentator? :D

Okay, it seems that I won't do an LP yet, since there's a curse on me or whatever - GZDoom was crashed during a save, so I lost both the saveslot and the recorded material. Though, I don't wanna do this sh&t from the beginning again...

The Curse of Antroid?

Sounds like a superbizarre Doom 2 modification with an overuse of Heretic textures.

So, Thursday Night Survival was a thing. And by A Thing, I mean somebody set it up so it was -fast monsters and them dealing double damage so THANKS FOR THAT, whoever set it up. Also this bug was found right here:

Map 10, blue key room. Once the blue key is picked up sector 650 (tagged 33) is raised, leaving a lovely hall of mirrors on linedef 700 and an impassable wall of flesh for anybody else playing to pass through. If the player past this sector dies, the map becomes unwinnable.

My one request is this: can more multiplayer shit be placed within the map? I know most people are going for badass cinematic experiences with their levels but the sheer amount of grind we had to slog through at the beginning of the map whenever we died (Maps 11/13 were prime examples of this out of the few maps I played tonight) quickly stopped being fun and became tedious as hell. Please throw some multiplayer weapons at the start so we can have some fun and mayhem please. :(

On that topic, if I get my final versions of my map finished quickly enough, I may solo-net my way through all of the maps and give ideas for thing and monster placement that could spice up multiplayer.

That HOM is caused by the texture on that linedef being on the wrong side and is easily fixed, but I'd wager there is a lot more situations in many of these levels where a path into an area closes and has to be opened from the inside. Either someone has to go through ALL the maps picking out and fixing (or worse, reporting and waiting for the authors to fix) them, or, what I would personally prefer to do, we say screw coop and don't bother. This check-up and doing specific multiplayer shit could take a lot of time AGAIN, which IMO isn't worth it, after all it does say in the readme that the coop support is "player starts only". I was under the impression that that was kinda our policy about multiplayer stuff: fuckit.

Well it's not "fuckit" but the primary focus is single-player. MAP06's central room (the one which keeps changing as you progress through the map) was constantly up and down due to players always crossing the trigger lines, which, considering I was dead, was hilarious to watch. We all got stuck at the start of MAP08 too (too many over the drop) and all thought punching each other would solve the problem. MAP01's "trap-in-the-last-room" doesn't work in MP, and I know MAP22 will have similar issues when we get to that.
This is stuff which you can't fix for MP without changing SP.

Eris Falling said:

We all got stuck at the start of MAP08 too (too many over the drop) ... this is stuff which you can't fix for MP without changing SP.

My update fixed this by putting a bunch of additional starts around the start area. :V

Honestly, I think it's easy enough to accoodate for multiplayer gameplay - something as easy as putting a mix of the basic weapons at the start so that survival isn't a slog and new people joining the game aren't running around the map looking for something that isn't a pistol, as well as throwing a boss monster or two, surrounded by 50 rockets. Throw some pain elementals in a busy area, throw a half dozen arch viles in an exit room, etc.

Fair enough, as long as it doesn't damage the SP it's fine really.
BTW MAP05 on the fast+powerful rotation was damn near impossible :P

an_mutt said:

So, Thursday Night Survival was a thing. And by A Thing, I mean somebody set it up so it was -fast monsters and them dealing double damage so THANKS FOR THAT, whoever set it up...

That's probably because you joined us in Pain rotation, we always play the first one without modifiers :P Also we only played maps 01-16 and 31, second part will be played in 1-2 weeks.

I think a lot of multiplayer issues could be fixed with a minimal amount of work, though it would require an in-depth knowledge of the map to realise the problem spots. Its usually just doors that lock from one side (just have it so you can open them from the other side), some maps might have issues if multiple walkover triggers are set off out of sequence, but I reckon most stuff could be fixed with a little lateral thinking and without impacting SP much.

I'm pretty sure I've fixed my maps for possible MP problems, though I'd welcome any suggestions for additional monsters/weapons. I doubt I'll ever play multiplayer but don't mind a bit of extra work so others can enjoy them.

I believe none of my maps ever lock you in a place in such a way that also locks people out. I remember only employing the sawtooth. I suppose if people are willing to accomodate it's no problem at all, but some authors don't seem to appear here anymore and someone is gonna have to need to study their maps and possibly fix them all. And this time it's not gonna be me!