• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dima

New DOOM III Article With New Info!

Read it here:

http://articles.dailytelefrag.com/eng/previews/2002/06/04/doom3/

P.S
More precisely, not much new there, just all the old stuff but a bit more informative, although there is one intresting quote there:

Moreover, according to Jim Dose, DOOM III won't be confined within narrow corridors and rectangular rooms of military base. Did they opt for the outdoor areas and huge sceneries of Mars? "Yes, that's right", - says Jim, - "we plan a number of outdoor levels. I'm not going to reveal you precise number of indoor and outdoor areas. Don't want to spoil the impression. Actually, implementing open-air levels is not our primary purpose. They won't be more than needed, and we are not willing to churn them out just because its flashy these days".

P.S.S
Shacknews reports the following:

I got our own DOOM3 article in the hands of the id Software last week. I suspect we'll see it later this week or next week as they have been kind enough to pass a couple of my questions around to make sure they are answered correctly.

I also managed to find out that DOOM III player will be opposed by Evil itself.

*evil grin*

Another shocking information on DOOM III character cast. While talking to Mal Blackwell on the game's plot, I couldn't but pose a question on the probable introduction of NPCs. "Yes, there will be NPCs in DOOM III", - assured Mal. "They won't be many (look for yourself, how many survivors can there be given that hordes of blood-thirsty monsters are crawling around the Martian base?). However, on your way you will encounter characters whom you can interact with. They can even demand your help (like getting them food or killing a particular monster that occupied their residence), and reveal you a door to the secret room or give out valuable ammo in return. Actually, it's not a significant part of the game, and we need it to reinforce the game's credibility".

dont know what to comment about this

HAMMER-STROKE said:

*evil grin*

Keep in mind that I originally read that article in Russian (the language it was originally written in - I'm a native Russian), and it obviously has none of the mistakes you could witness while reading the same article in English :)

Some dude with horrible spelling said:

We want player not to be aware of what's behind the next door

Wow. This guy's worse than Zaldron.

Moreover, according to Jim Dose, DOOM III won't be confined within narrow corridors and rectangular rooms of military base. Did they opt for the outdoor areas and huge sceneries of Mars? "Yes, that's right", - says Jim, - "we plan a number of outdoor levels. I'm not going to reveal you precise number of indoor and outdoor areas. Don't want to spoil the impression. Actually, implementing open-air levels is not our primary purpose. They won't be more than needed, and we are not willing to churn them out just because its flashy these days"

According to Mal's words, DOOM III will span around thirty levels (probably a bit more). They will be really huge, and will be constructed to convey the pressing atmosphere of fear and terror, where you oppose Evil and you have no idea what's there around the corner.

"This is DOOM! We are not going to mimic Serious Sam where player is exposed to relentless attacks by hordes of identical enemies. Monsters will be more than adequate, sometimes they'll attack in tens, sometimes they poke around alone."

VICTORY !

Lord FlatHead said:

Wow. This guy's worse than Zaldron.

VICTORY !

LOL m8, you should have seen it in Russian, much better!

Well, classic Doom did have outdoor areas, Mount Erebus for example. *snicker*.

Seriously, I do hope for some big sick trippy hellish outdoor areas.

wow!
best part
-big out door area!
-monster attack in tens
-NPC
one interesting note from Jean Paul von Waveren about dealing with monster

"We provide certain freedom of choice,just as we do with the storyline"

Monsters attack in tens yay!!
Outdoor areas! That's great news.
The player will be opposed by evil itself? Does that mean....... S.. SS.. Satan??

Disorder said:

The player will be opposed by evil itself? Does that mean....... S.. SS.. Satan??

Well m8, remember that scene in the 11 minute video in the beginning? where the scientist is... well u know... :))

While talking on the plethora of monsters in DOOM III, Mal Blackwell mentioned that the game will incorporate a number of already recognized monsters (the movie exposed zombie, pinky demon, imp, flying skulls, and cyber-demon),

Cyber-demon??? WTF?
The big dude at the end maybe? Tell me it's not true.

Disorder said:

Cyber-demon??? WTF?
The big dude at the end maybe? Tell me it's not true.

Umm, no. id already confirmed the big guy at the end is some sort of Hell Knight.

I still think that that's not true. That Bird-demon looks way more like a HellKnight. So who's the Cyberdemon in the 11-minute movie? Or are they wrong again (IF they're wrong)?

Disorder said:

I still think that that's not true. That Bird-demon looks way more like a HellKnight. So who's the Cyberdemon in the 11-minute movie? Or are they wrong again (IF they're wrong)?

Can Tim Willits be wrong? :)

Eeerrrr.. Don't know. But c'mon, that Bird-demon looks way more like a HellKnight than the other Demon at the end of the 11-minute movie does.. Agree?

Disorder said:

Eeerrrr.. Don't know. But c'mon, that Bird-demon looks way more like a HellKnight than the other Demon at the end of the 11-minute movie does.. Agree?

Agreed.

We are pretty aware, though, that many players and especially Doom I and II fans might dislike delving into the fundamentals of the story, and ignore the roots of incident on Mars. We can't force them to, so we grant an option to finish game in a shooting-spree style. Well, those who want to know the truth, will find it out".

Very good news for those Doom fans who just want action and who aren't interested in the plot. As for the rest of us, can't wait to find out the origins of the incident.

Shaviro said:

YAY#ยค% 30 OR MORE MEGA HGUE LEVELS"#ยค&%&"#ยค :)

Don't get your hopes too high. It takes a lot of dedication to cram all that detail in these levels. At least all the time wasted in compiling VIS and RAD is gone, but still...

I really liked how you couldn't detect any obvious instanced geometry in the video.

Jeez Dima, whenever you show up, you always have some good stuff to show us! Cheers!

bigbadgangsta said:

Jeez Dima, whenever you show up, you always have some good stuff to show us! Cheers!

Or you could visit Shacknews on a daily basis too.

Disorder said:

How fun that they attack in tens!! And outdoor areas... i hope they are good :) It seems that DOOM3 is only getting better and better!

Zaldron said:

Or you could visit Shacknews on a daily basis too.

I can only visit one site daily and I have marked DW for that.

Hei, its NPC's!!!
Fight for badasses?!!! Me will be a pinky for sure...

BTW, its a goooood news, thanx a lot...

Gde mozhno dostat' russkii variant?

Great - that means that the opposition will be more like what we faced in Doom 1. But that also means that Zaldron LIED to us when he said that there'll only be five monsters on-screen ;-)
Outdoor ares: *completely indifferent look on face*

I think that the stuff about the player being opposed to evil itself just means that he's fighting REAL demons of Hell - killing Satan would be kinda lame I think.

NO WAY! That thing looks waay too small and wimpy for that - looks like the imp mk 2 (or mk 1) or something. Where are the muscles on that thing? I'm tellin' you: that thing is neither a BoH or a HK - it's much too small for that. The BoH or HK would be a lot more burly than that.
And actually, the big mofo in the video actually does look a little like a HK without horns.

Very good news for those Doom fans who just want action and who aren't interested in the plot. As for the rest of us, can't wait to find out the origins of the incident.

It's not that I ain't interested in the plot - but having to go through the same cut-scenes and such over and over again when you just want to kill gets kinda old really fast. I'll definitely be watching every single little plot-telling element the first time, but later, I'd probably be more interested in butchering demons *wicked grin*
I'm well pleased so far that there seems to be the opportunity to skip the story elements and go straight for the action.

dsm said:

Great - that means that the opposition will be more like what we faced in Doom 1. But that also means that Zaldron LIED to us when he said that there'll only be five monsters on-screen ;-)

The gameplay footage showed at max 4, 5 guys SO I WIN. Video proof versus hype words. :P

Video proof that will be useless and most likely proved wrong when Doom 3 comes out, more like it :p

Regardless, I'm pleased about what I saw in the video in regards to opposition, so even if you're right and that the game will only be able to handle 5 critters on-screen as you said, I'll still be able to see a lot of action (and that's my main concern).
However, one thing buckles my mind: In the video we did really see a max of five monsters on screen, but what if you let them live and just ran away from them, letting them rally?
A reason we didn't see more than max five zombs on-screen was because most of them got killed off before the player ran off to alert more of them - is not a definite proof that the engine can only handle 5 monsties on-screen.