Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
H0neyBe4r

German IWADs?

I wanted to ask if there are any disadvantages in using the German doom 2 - iwad, which appearently is missing map 31 and 32, if one wants to play megawads and such.

I ask because I am German and wanted to get the Doom BFG - Edition, which at the moment is cheaper at amazon.de then amazon.co.uk.

Thanks in advance!

The BFG IWAD was 'neutered' for an international release, so any PWADs should be playable without crashing (although any maps that use the Wolfenstein SS enemies without giving them new sprites might be a tad awkward).

As for the original German IWAD, if you're using a source port such as ZDoom then any PWADs will be playable even if the Wolfenstein textures are used. Vanilla and some of the more 'basic' source ports will just crash out with some message about patches not existing IIRC. I've not really tested this extensively.

BaronOfStuff said:

Vanilla and some of the more 'basic' source ports will just crash out with some message about patches not existing IIRC. I've not really tested this extensively.

Not really. All textures are still in there. There are really the maps missing, nothing more.
Any megawad should work, unless it has a secret exit without providing a map there, which I never encountered and would be rather silly anyway.

Anyway, didn't ID provide a patch to upgrade the German WAD to the regular version back then? There was no German law back then which could ban the game just because there is a patch, afaIk.