Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cupboard

Do you want to test your knowledge of Newtonian physics?

According to the New York Times Science section, "a key to understanding the phenomenon, [said Dr. John Biggins, a Cambridge physicist] is that mathematically, a chain can be thought of as a series of connected rods. When you pick up one end of a rod, two things happen. One end goes up and the other goes down, or tries to. But if the downward force is stopped by the pile of chain beneath there is a kind of kickback, and the rod, or link, is pushed upward. That is what makes the chain rise..."

He continues, "'Finding a new physics problem in an Internet video was,' Dr. Biggins said, 'something of a treat. For a scientist it's "really reassuring" that new problems like this can pop up,' he said."

In other news, physics, (along with Newton's 3rd Law) how do they work?

I saw this a while ago. I've heard half-a-dozen different casual explanations. This seems to be one of those things like powered flight where nobody can come up with a satisfying force diagram. My dad actually thinks this is video trickery.

Creaphis said:

I saw this a while ago. I've heard half-a-dozen different casual explanations. This seems to be one of those things like powered flight where nobody can come up with a satisfying force diagram. My dad actually thinks this is video trickery.

That's all I keep thinking after seeing it. I feel like he stuck the jar onto a surface upside down and then manipulated the chain from there. That's just me being quizzical, though what would anyone actually need to do to replicate this anyways?

Believe it or not but it's no fake. I watched a documentation on TV a few weeks ago where this phenomena was explained.
It's basicly refering on Isaac Newtons law of inertia.

It's a variant of fluid siphoning, but with a solid, segmented body instead of a liquid.

Creaphis said:

This seems to be one of those things like powered flight where nobody can come up with a satisfying force diagram. My dad actually thinks this is video trickery.

Seriously? When was that, in the early 19th century?

Maes said:

Alright, well, I was thinking more along the lines of how theories of aerodynamic lift like "the Bernoulli effect" tend to have their limitations, but I didn't want to spend much time making my half-assed point. Forgive me for not delving deep into theoretical physics to make a better analogy.

I always thought there has to be some great siphoning troll opportunity somewhere, like move an entire lake from one place to another with a big camouflaged tube or something. Though there's enough ecosystem destruction, so I guess no.

Maes said:

If my understanding is correct, those diagrams show how the forces exist, but don't show why they exist.

flubbernugget said:

If my understanding is correct, those diagrams show how the forces exist, but don't show why they exist.

It's easy to forget that air is still a fluid and not vacuum...

Fascinating phenomenon and for aerodynamic lift force: are there people who live in barrels and dont believe in laws of physics? people sure can be stupid and ignorant

Waffenak said:

are there people who live in barrels and dont believe in laws of physics?

They call themselves Creationists.