Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Megamur

Doomsday/JDoom Mouse Speed?

I downloaded the newest version of Doomsday--v1.13.2--but for the life of me, I can't find any mouse sensitivity options anywhere. Going to the Controls menu only lets you configure the buttons, and the Snowberry launcher has no control options beyond being able to disable the mouse/joystick/Windows keys. Mouse input is responding, but the sensitivity is way too low to acceptably play.

How can I change the mouse sensitivity? Are there console commands that would let me do so?

Thanks in advance.

Mouse sensitivity can be adjusted from the Input Settings menu of the taskbar, in modern Doomsday. Open the taskbar, e.g., press tilde (see: introduction to the console) or use the Show Taskbar shortcut in the game Options menu. Look for the gear button in the bottom right, click it and then click the Input menu item.

Oh, I see. Yes, that worked. Thank you.

Although there's still a strange input lag with Doomsday that makes movement feel sluggish, regardless. I disabled vsync and the 35 MHz vanilla input, but there's still an odd delay that makes it feel like I'm moving underwater. Not sure what that's all about. Oh well.

You could try disabling mouse movement filtering, which is also found on the Input Settings menu.

Seems to be the same lag even when using keyboard keys for movement. I've never encountered an issue like this in any port. I can't diagnose this one.

Megamur said:

there's still a strange input lag with Doomsday that makes movement feel sluggish, regardless. I disabled vsync and the 35 MHz vanilla input, but there's still an odd delay that makes it feel like I'm moving underwater. Not sure what that's all about. Oh well.

I get the same thing, too. What's going on?

I don't know but I'm definitely interested in getting to the bottom of the issue.

Can you perhaps articulate in more detail? It would also help to know a bit more about the system(s) you've tried it on and perhaps provide a copy of your doomsday.out and config files.

The cvar you are looking for is refresh-rate-maximum.

The vsync issue is known and work is under way to address it. It came about when frame composition was revised in the process of introducing support for stereo 3D and the Oculus Rift.

---

We really will need more information regarding the apparent "input lag", though. Is there literally an observable delay between triggering a control and its effect(s) on the player/world? Does the delay affect all controls (e.g., firing vs player movement). Does slowing down the play simulation with the settics command reveal anything (with/without the vanilla 35Hz rate)?

XCOPY said:

I did set the renderer profile to vanilla, refresh-rate-maximum to 35 and deactivated everything in the input menu, mouse seemed way more responsive, like in most ports. Capping FPS to any value between "<monitor refresh rate> - 10" and "<monitor refresh rate> - 1" seems to be a valid workaround as well.

My senses aren't very sharp, but I noticed I was aiming slightly better and bouncing less in corridors.

It sounds like in your case at least, the delay is more to do with renderer performance than input per say. What effect does this have on your FPS (before/after)?

If I set the game to a lower tic rate (settics), is it supposed to trigger the function (in any button) instantly?

No, quite the opposite in fact. By setting a tic rate < 35 you are telling Doomsday to run fewer game tics per second than vanilla. A value of 5, for example, will slow everything down so much that it is easily possible to discern timing differences/delays between various configurations.

For example, use settics 5 and compare the effect of enabling/disabling the 35Hz input rate.

In that case I'm going to hazard the guess that you are running on Windows (you didn't say) and are indeed suffering the Windows-specific, non-working vsync issue (given that you say manually capping the refresh rate solves the problem and the profile changes don't affect your FPS noticeably). The vsync issue is currently scheduled to be addressed during the 1.14 candidate phase, which will likely begin sometime next week.

Vanilla DOOM's input has inherent lag due to the 35Hz, frame-synced timing. This option unsyncs axis based inputs from the game timing, such that mouse movement is immediately applied to the player's view angle and movement direction. However this naturally alters the "feel" of the game, hence why it is disabled by default. Personally, I live with the slight "lag" because without it, the game doesn't feel the same to me.

Edit: We've now found a workaround for Windows vsync issue, which, appears to be a Qt GL canvas format vs dynamic WGL swap interval compatibility problem. So at the very least, the workaround (recreate the GL canvas when vsync is changed) will be present for the 1.14 release. It may be that our manual framebuffer is the real issue here, however that will need to be investigated further.

I'm running on Windows 7, and yes, setting refresh-rate-maximum to 35 and enabling vanilla 35Hz input rate significantly reduced input lag and it seems to work fine with those settings.

Hopefully you'll be able to sort out the issue with not being able to disable vsync. ZDoom also has had input lag when vsync is enabled with every computer I've ever run it on.

Todays Build 1171 (1.14 unstable) includes the workaround for the non-working vsync issue on Windows. Disabling vsync now works for me on my Windows dev system.

DaniJ said:

Todays Build 1171 (1.14 unstable) includes the workaround for the non-working vsync issue on Windows. Disabling vsync now works for me on my Windows dev system.

Downloaded it, overwrote the old version, turned refresh-rate-maximum up to 120, disabled the vanilla 35Hz input rate and made sure vsync was disabled. Input lag issue appears to be resolved now. Good work. :)