Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tylerisepic1

Do you think that there are too many jokewads being made?

It's a bit of a problem that has been addressed a few times, but trolls always find ways around it.

It's annoying as hell though, honestly. When you donwload something called "Place Crash Site" or something, expecting a regular SP map and then your ears and eyes are raped. That stuff should be disallowed in my opinion because as others have hinted at, it's pretty malicious in terms of Doom mods.

A simple tag should be added like [jokewad] or something to prevent this from ever being an issue - just my 2 cents :)

Doomkid92 said:

It's a bit of a problem that has been addressed a few times, but trolls always find ways around it.

It's annoying as hell though, honestly. When you download something called "Place Crash Site" or something, expecting a regular SP map and then your ears and eyes are raped. That stuff should be disallowed in my opinion because as others have hinted at, it's pretty malicious in terms of Doom mods.

A simple tag should be added like [jokewad] or something to prevent this from ever being an issue - just my 2 cents :)

Those aren't actually Jokewads. According to the Doom Wiki they are called Trollwads.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Troll_WAD

The most famous makers of TrollWADS are Terry and Doomguy 2000.

Inkie said:

There's not enough good jokewads being made.

That is also true.

Inkie said:

There's not enough good jokewads being made.

Agreed. A jokewad is supposed to make you laugh or at least chuckle, which isn't achieved by screamer wads: the only person getting a laugh is the creator, and it's at other people's expense. You want a good jokewad, look for the Call of Dooty series by Chubz.

Most of the so-called joke wads are not really jokes at all and are just shit; a waste of time, effort, bandwidth and disk space for everyone concerned. This is true of the so-called Terry style and other "joke" wad styles such as the quite common "this is a really shit map with deliberate n00b errors" style. Only on the very, very rarest of occasions do they have any entertainment or play value. i.e. like I said, they're shit.

A good joke wad is, first and foremost, a good wad. These are all too rare.

Tylerisepic1 said:

Those aren't actually Jokewads. According to the Doom Wiki they are called Trollwads.

Stop going to the Doom Wikia; it is a terrible place.

Mock2 always amused me- as it had..."content"....sorta.... xD
That and the forum story based maps- odd that I never really got many of the jokes in them because they were some of the first Zdoom based maps I'd played years ago...without being on the forums first!

Gez said:

Stop going to the Doom Wikia; it is a terrible place.

It's the one that Doomworld recommends. Should I start going to the other .org one?

Doomworld recommends it? Where? The link to the Doom Wiki o the frontpage directs to doomwiki.org

There's way too much Terry wads, but cool jokewads like CIF series or TRIBUTE.WAD (or some name like that) are really, really rare

kristus said:

Doomworld recommends it? Where? The link to the Doom Wiki o the frontpage directs to doomwiki.org

That's weird... Okay, I guess I will just use .org.

Maybe there should be a spiritual sequel to Mock 2 called 'kcom' or something with like 80 maps this time.

(also don't forget do-tims)

Enjay said:

Most of the so-called joke wads are not really jokes at all and are just shit; a waste of time, effort, bandwidth and disk space for everyone concerned. This is true of the so-called Terry style and other "joke" wad styles such as the quite common "this is a really shit map with deliberate n00b errors" style. Only on the very, very rarest of occasions do they have any entertainment or play value. i.e. like I said, they're shit.

A good joke wad is, first and foremost, a good wad. These are all too rare.

^ Speaking gospel right here.

I've had idea for a jokewad where I was actually trying to make it entertaining and replayable, where all the zombies/smaller enemies were replaced with different varities of retard marines shooting "terry.wad" files at you rather than fireballs or bullets, choc full of dumb yet funny sounds, but the whole thing was just too obnoxious. Which was the original idea I suppose, but by the end I just said "fuck it" and stuck with a more normal theme. There are enough annoying WADs on the archives.