Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

SLADE 3.1.0 beta 4 (now featuring map editor)

Downloaded the file and started to install

That's where Slade3 stops.

Could you include this file, and any other needed ones, in the download?

Ah, looks like I forgot to switch it back to 2012 (the static code analysis feature in VS2013 requires that it is compiled with the 2013 compiler)

I was thinking of switching to 2013 for the final 3.1.0 release anyway.

I can change soundfonts without needing to close/reopen the program now, right?

Also I like how I can listen to MP3 music within WADs and PK3s now.

Mr. Chris said:

I can change soundfonts without needing to close/reopen the program now, right?

Yes; just click the "reset MIDI player" button.

I had an unhandled exception occur opening 2 more WADs (with 3 or so open already) and MP3 music playing. It was forced to close after closing all the WADs one by one.

The entry list text looks blurry. All other text is ok & readable. Any way to get the previous text style back?

Jimi said:

The entry list text looks blurry. All other text is ok & readable. Any way to get the previous text style back?

Can you post a screenshot or something? Nothing has changed with that since 3.0.2, so the text shouldn't be any different.

For some strange reason, SLADE does not want to load/use very large soundfonts (over 1 GB). I've tried loading the Evanessence 2 (1.7 GB) and Crisis General Midi (1.6 GB) soundfonts and music does not want to play.

SLADE itself doesn't load soundfonts, it just tells FluidSynth to load them.

Jimi said:

Ok... The old version is 3.1.0 alpha r1419.
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/slade_text.png

All A, M, and similar letters are blur in the new. Just realised it's a different font, can I change back to that previous font?

Ah ok, I did change the monospace font to one that looks nicer in newer versions of windows, I guess it doesn't look so nice without cleartype enabled. I might just make it configurable or something.

You also might want to change the tab style in Preferences->Interface to 'Glossy' to remove the lines/artifacts around the tabs/panels.

sirjuddington said:

You also might want to change the tab style in Preferences->Interface to 'Glossy' to remove the lines/artifacts around the tabs/panels.

So that's how to get rid of them! Thanks.

Figured out how to get any font to be used in the entry list.. I changed the Windows system font, and then disabled the monospace font in Slade.

Jimi said:

Figured out how to get any font to be used in the entry list.. I changed the Windows system font, and then disabled the monospace font in Slade.

I added a configuration to set the monospace font for the next version.

Also, I posted this at the zdoom forums thread, might as well here too:

A few questions for those who have been using/testing the map editor - how often are you using the generic object properties list (via the side panel or 'Properties' in the context menu)? And if you use it regularly, what for? I've tried to minimise the need to use it by making common tasks (eg. setting thing types or line specials) more easily accessible in other ways. If it is annoying/difficult to use and needs to be used regularly I might just end up creating custom properties dialogs for each edit mode like in SLADE2/DB.

Gez said:

You need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Runtime to run the official builds.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as bundling the DLL with the exe -- they need to be installed by their dedicated installer.

I didn't have the correct DLLs installed anywhere on the system (because I didn't know there was a 2013 version), so I grabbed the DLLs from the web and dropped them in my Slade folder without issue. Are those relying on a dependency from the old version that just happens to work?

That aside, I quite like Slade 3.1 so far. I started using it instead of DB mostly because it's easier to see than DB (text matches my Windows settings better). I do have five little issues I'd like to whine about, though. Let me know if I should whine somewhere else.

1. Dialogs don't remember how large I set the windows. I use enlarged text and thus I find I almost always enlarge the dialogs. Slade gets major points for this working at all. I just don't like doing it every time.

2. The information bar at the bottom of the map editor doesn't scale like the rest of the text. I have to squint at it. Same goes for the console-esque messages that appear when I switch editing modes. I understand I might be the only guy who ever complains about this.

3. On exiting a dialog such as the map checker, keys to switch modes (eg. sectors or 3D) don't work until I click to focus the map view.

4. When dragging or resizing a dialog in the map editor the view of the map behind it doesn't redraw. Obviously this dooesn't break anyway; it's just ugly and doesn't let you look behind the box if you feel the need.

5. The dialog that appears when I open the map editor uses the last value for game and port rather than detecting what kind of map is being opened.

EDIT...

sirjuddington said:

A few questions for those who have been using/testing the map editor - how often are you using the generic object properties list (via the side panel or 'Properties' in the context menu)? And if you use it regularly, what for? I've tried to minimise the need to use it by making common tasks (eg. setting thing types or line specials) more easily accessible in other ways. If it is annoying/difficult to use and needs to be used regularly I might just end up creating custom properties dialogs for each edit mode like in SLADE2/DB.

I found myself using the context menu more often so far. I think that's a combination of me being used to it in other editors and the side panel being more difficult to see because I had it too narrow for my huge fonts. =

1. What dialogs do you have to resize most often?

2. Yeah this is something that needs to be done eventually, especially with the new/upcoming super-high-resolution screens etc. Text scaling is going to become more common. There are a couple of things in place already for this, but currently the UI in general doesn't scale very well.

3. Will have a look at this.

4. I don't have this problem, maybe a driver issue?

5. This is kind of intended, as it's not easily possible to determine what game+port the map will be for. I guess the port selection could be changed to one that supports the map format, at least, but the game would have to stay as whatever was previously selected.

1. I resize mostly the properties dialogs. I noticed the "new map" dialog that contains map name and format can't be resized. My fonts are big enough that I can't read all of it.

4. I'll see if I can do something with my drivers. Maybe AMD is just being incompetent again, or maybe my Crossfire setup has figured out how to break more things than just shaders in games.

5. I do understand correctly detecting the game and port to use is hard, and often impossible, but it's jarring when it tries to open map01 as a Doom map and then fails with an error.

6. I have a new issue and this one is more serious. When I edit a UDMF map (or create a new one) Slade doesn't save any changes I make to sector light levels. They appear to work in the editor until I save an d close the map. When I open it again the light is defaulted to 160. I tried creating a vanilla Doom map and changing the light. That did work.

I also had one issue where I converted a map to UDMF and then tried editing it with Slade only to have it become corrupted somehow. Neither GZDoom nor DB would touch it after that. I converted it again and edited it in DB before opening it in Slade and now it works fine. I should probably see if I can find a way to repeat that.

Aliotroph? said:

6. I have a new issue and this one is more serious. When I edit a UDMF map (or create a new one) Slade doesn't save any changes I make to sector light levels. They appear to work in the editor until I save an d close the map. When I open it again the light is defaulted to 160. I tried creating a vanilla Doom map and changing the light. That did work.

I also had one issue where I converted a map to UDMF and then tried editing it with Slade only to have it become corrupted somehow. Neither GZDoom nor DB would touch it after that. I converted it again and edited it in DB before opening it in Slade and now it works fine. I should probably see if I can find a way to repeat that.

Hmm, not sure what's happening there, I can't reproduce the problem at all. How are you changing the light levels? And for the second one I'd need a copy of the converted map to see what is going on, if it happens again.

I played with the light thing some more. The light level is correctly saved for any value that isn't 0. When it's set to zero the lightlevel line for that sector is omitted entirely from the textmap lump when the map is saved. Next time the map is opened the editor uses the default value for that sector's light. This is true no matter what method I use to set the level.

The corrupted map issue is something I can't even seem to repeat. I didn't think to keep it at the time, but if it happens again I'll keep a copy for you.

Thanks for the rapid feedback you've been giving all of us on our feedback.

I found useful Visplane Explorer and add it to executables list. Now Checking VPO errors is being easier (currently creating vanilla map pack with SLADE3)

Aliotroph? said:

I played with the light thing some more. The light level is correctly saved for any value that isn't 0. When it's set to zero the lightlevel line for that sector is omitted entirely from the textmap lump when the map is saved. Next time the map is opened the editor uses the default value for that sector's light. This is true no matter what method I use to set the level.

The corrupted map issue is something I can't even seem to repeat. I didn't think to keep it at the time, but if it happens again I'll keep a copy for you.

Thanks for the rapid feedback you've been giving all of us on our feedback.

Ah ok, the 0 light level problem is fixed now. I've also made it remember the size of various dialogs between sessions.

Awesome! You're making me very happy.

EDIT: I just found the script editor with the "intellisense" features. Neat. I can't use it efficiently yet because there's no way to resize the panel, but I like where this is heading.

Is the mousewheel the only way to zoom in and out of the map editor? I noticed that - on the top row of the keyboard zooms out, but + does not zoom in. Numpad +/- do nothing.

Aliotroph? said:

EDIT: I just found the script editor with the "intellisense" features. Neat. I can't use it efficiently yet because there's no way to resize the panel, but I like where this is heading.

It is resizable just the same as any other map editor panel, just drag the edge. You can also drag the title bar out to make it a floating window.

Bloodshedder said:

Is the mousewheel the only way to zoom in and out of the map editor? I noticed that - on the top row of the keyboard zooms out, but + does not zoom in. Numpad +/- do nothing.

Hmm, looks like something has changed in wxWidgets, the key char for the plus key used to be "+" in windows but "=" in linux - looks like it's now "=" in both (which makes more sense). You'll have to go into the Input preferences and set the key manually (it's under 'Map Editor 2D Mode')

sirjuddington said:

It is resizable just the same as any other map editor panel, just drag the edge. You can also drag the title bar out to make it a floating window.

But it's not. I can't drag the edges, and now that I have it docked, it doesn't have a title bar like the other map editor panels. It looks a bit strange with no title bar and with the edges giving no resize options.

Here's a pic of what I see. Notice the panel has no title of any kind. Interestingly I loaded a vanilla map and it's still showing the script from the UDMF map I had loaded previously. Dragging the lower edge doesn't work like it does with the other panels.

Well that's definitely strange, I can't get the title bar for the script editor to disappear like that. What version of windows are you running?