Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tylerisepic1

Question about how to make a door

Why aren't my doors opening correctly? Only one side works, and if I do the other side it doesn't.

I am just doing it in basic Doom 2 format and both linedefs (front and back) have the "Door Open Wait Close (also monsters)" thing activated.

Maybe flip the linedef. For switches and doors, the middle line has to be pointing out towards the player.

◘
|
|
|-    <-player
|
|
◘

I don't think that's the case.

EDIT: Uploading YT video. If there's any audio (probably not)it's just a Doom 3 Mod's music called Doom 3 Classic that is supposed to recreate the original shareware levels.

EDIT 2: Never mind, I'll just make it open and stay open. It's probably just a glitch with that one door.

EDIT 3: Those linedefs must be so stupid. It wont work. I just gave up on an entrance door and just removed it.

You could upload your wad to a site like mediafire or filesmelt and someone can look at it and tell you what's wrong. Don't worry about it being bad or unfinished or whatever.

Tylerisepic1 said:

..... I am just doing it in basic Doom 2 format and both linedefs (front and back) have the "Door Open Wait Close (also monsters)" thing activated.

Too bad you did not mention which editor you are using.
However, since you are a newb and I have some time on my hand I'll give you this story ...

The Slade3 map editor is still in development and does not yet have a 'Make Door' shortcut.
Doombuilder1 also does not have a 'Make Door' shortcut.
But, for both you could use the description in the Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide on page 81 to construct the door manually.

GZDoom Builder r1922 and Doombuilder2 r1715 can both build a door automatically when the sector to be a door is highlighted and Shift-D is pressed and then OK.
If the linedefs, which will be the activating linedefs, should point into the door sector, then they will be flipped.

For example with GZDB: