Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Uses for Commander Keen?

Everyone knows that killing all Commander Keens on Map 32: Grosse opens up all sectors tagged 666.
But you can also do this on any map.

Me personally, I use dummy sectors with Commander Keens hanging on crushers that activate whenever a certain switch is pressed to create doors that need multiple switches to open. I realize there are many other ways to do this, but oh well.

But what more potential do these enemies have? In TVR They're used as Former humans chained to the ground.

In Nutty, a joke (DeathMatch) wad, they're used as fake players.

I'm sure I even saw one in plain sight, unedited, on one of the last few maps of Plutonia 2.

And what about you? Are there any amazing, genius uses that you've thought of/seen?

Not really. Not really anyhow else than what you've mentioned. Their look, sounds and harmless nature just make them an unnaturally feeling mechanic, even if you make use of their death special. They're best to be DEHACKED-replaced with a functional monster (in vanilla DEHACKED, it requires stealing other monster's states too, though).

If you're after an interesting take on their special, check out MAP01 of [WIP] Switcheroom 2.

I usually use them with crushers or barrels for various effects: you can check one of my recent speedmaps for this effect. Although I find that if you crush them too quickly the action doesn't activate.

See also MAP20 and MAP32 in Hadephobia for edited Keens with their death actions used to progress through the level.

scifista42 said:

Not really. Not really anyhow else than what you've mentioned. Their look, sounds and harmless nature just make them an unnaturally feeling mechanic, even if you make use of their death special. They're best to be DEHACKED-replaced with a functional monster (in vanilla DEHACKED, it requires stealing other monster's states too, though).

If you're after an interesting take on their special, check out MAP01 of [WIP] Switcheroom 2.

Haven't you heard of sound replacements? No need for hacking.

Here's another example: put many Keen dolls next to the final boss' core in MAP30. When the player first shoots a rocket there, they will all 'die' in unison resulting in a loud crackling sound (which can be replaced with something bossy) and their 'death' release dozens of Cyberdemons on you.

Hell To Pay replaced them with fuses, which all had to be destroyed within a strict time limit, pretty ingenious. Im planning something similar to this in something, but I'll need some new sprites sadly.

Joe667 said:

Me personally, I use dummy sectors with Commander Keens hanging on crushers that activate whenever a certain switch is pressed to create doors that need multiple switches to open. I realize there are many other ways to do this, but oh well.

Me too, Commander keen doesn't really belong in the sense of a Doom map. In my latest project I'm putting him in an outside sector far away from the rest of the map and have him crushed or otherwise blown up by a barrel to trigger some scripted doors and stuff.

Mind you, I'm making this a vanilla compatible set. :D

But what more potential do these enemies have? In Strain (I believe) They're used as Former humans chained to the ground.

That would be TVR!

I'm sure I even saw one in plain sight, unedited, on one of the last few maps of Plutonia 2.

MAP29?

Hurricyclone said:

That would be TVR!

Yeah, I remembered that a while back but couldn't be bothered to change the post. Oh well, done it now!

Hurricyclone said:

MAP29?

That's the one! :D