Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Teenager drinks 4 liters of energy drink to stay up, has kidney failure as a result

Link

I personally think he should have died for his stupidity, the products clearly warn you to limit consumption per day. The typical limit is 3 16oz cans, sometimes you can push it to 4, which is about 2 liters. This idiot drank 4 liters (135 fl oz), or about 16 cans just to stay up and play Call of Duty all night.

Edit: Fixed the article title and my comment.

Wow.. Just to play a game for 16 hours. I could play most games up to 14 hours with only some food and maybe a 16oz energy drink.

I seldom drink energy drinks, and if I do it's to wake my sorry ass up when coffee can't do it's job.
I wonder what drink he had, probably Monster. ¬.¬

Eris Falling said:

Nominated for a Darwin award

Kidney failure does not count. Unless it neutralizes sperm. It didn't even kill him.

after four bottles your piss starts to smell like Red Bull. This is a hint that it's time to knock that shit on the head.

I think that drinking that much of any liquid in a day (unless you're in the middle of the desert) is a guaranteed kidney failure/electrolyte imbalance.

Fucker should've just taken B6 instead of sugar or caffeine.

Energy drinks can cause kidney failures? That's a new one for me.

What was the ingredient that caused the failure? the caffeine, the sugar, or the sheer volume of liquid?

Memfis said:

Wait, the limit is 2 liters? Well, shit. And what happens when you reach it?

You get kidney failure, or heart attack.

Unless you play CoD, that is, then your body raises the limit to 8 liters.

Memfis said:

Wait, the limit is 2 liters? Well, shit. And what happens when you reach it?

You have to go take a leak, I suppose.

Mr. Chris said:

I personally think he should have died for his stupidity

That's a pretty cold, heartless response.

This just proves what I already knew: Energy drinks are just well marketed toxic. Not that most soft drinks are any better. Still, I doubt you could DIE from drinking 8 liters of coke in a day.

This is one of the reasons for why I shake my head at people who mix their alcohol with energy drinks (redbull and vodka come to mind). The odds that you will just fall down dead may be low, but this is still a very irresponsible and an unhealthy thing to do.

He should have eaten a full bag of sugarless gummy bears to purge his system after drinking the eighth liter of energy drink. That would have saved his kidneys.

He should have just eaten a lot of fruits instead. The natural sugars disperse more evenly in your body, giving you energy the way nature intended. Shit like energy drinks, gives your body more a shock of sugar, which will make you crash.

hardcore_gamer said:

This just proves what I already knew: Energy drinks are just well marketed toxic. Not that most soft drinks are any better. Still, I doubt you could DIE from drinking 8 liters of coke in a day.

If you drink too much water in any form, unless you actually perspire it all, you can get water intoxication.

Maes said:

If you drink too much water in any form, unless you actually perspire it all, you can get water intoxication.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/#.UyyHvPldXTo

That's exactly what happened to a woman on a radio show back in 2007. She was in a water drinking contest, trying to win a Wii for her kids. However, she died afterwards because the over consumption of water.

Maes said:

I drink a gallon a day. I'm shocked I haven't died yet, but I guess it depends on how quickly you drink it to water down your blood.

So this fucker drank 2 gallons of energy drink?

During St. Patricks Day, a local radio station read off bullshit facts, such as someone had a St. patty's day that lasted 4 weeks after drinking 60 pints in 4 hours. Or 7.5 fucking gallons of booze in 4 hours. The human stomach can't even fit that much.

Kontra Kommando said:
That's exactly what happened to a woman on a radio show back in 2007. She was in a water drinking contest, trying to win a Wii for her kids. However, she died afterwards because the over consumption of water.

Drinking excessive quantities of water lowers your blood's viscosity (actually, after further reading, I think its salinity, not viscosity) to the point that it will actually flow through the walls of your blood vessels into surrounding tissue. If you bleed into your brain from over-hydration you're basically done for.

hardcore_gamer said:

Absolutely everything is toxic. It just depends on ingested concentration. Try eating quarter of kilogram of kitchen salt.

As stupid as those waterdrinking competitions which got banned because of dying fools. If you drink enough water your cells take liquids inside them as a result of diffusion where fluids move from concentrated to mild titre. Your cells swell and wont work functionally and as a result you eventually die if you cant remove surfeit liquids.

j4rio said:

Absolutely everything is toxic. It just depends on ingested concentration. Try eating quarter of kilogram of kitchen salt.

Sure, but some things are more toxic then others.

hardcore_gamer said:

Sure, but some things are more toxic then others.

Yeah, that's where acceptable limits come in. Because a guy overdosed on a substance, it doesn't automatically make said substance a complete danger. With energy drinks, whether one likes it or not or if it has long-term/chronic effects, well that's neither here nor there.

I'll only be drinking about 34oz. tonight mixed with alcohol, so I guess I'm not as hardcore. I'm not sure if I could drink eight litres of anything for that matter.

Anyway, blame video games.