Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

40oz said:

If I'm playing a wad that's too easy, I tend to throw myself into unreasonably precarious situations. I'll bare hand imps with unberserked fists, round up revenant missiles into a fiery deathball, or see how many times I can fake them out and miss their punches, chainsaw cacodemons and hell knights, and back myself into the corner closest to the monsters to see if I can escape.

I'll grant you the rest, but doesn't everyone chainsaw tomatoes, given half a chance? They can't do anything about it as a rule, and it's six shells saved every time...

40oz said:

If I'm playing a wad that's too easy, I tend to throw myself into unreasonably precarious situations. I'll bare hand imps with unberserked fists, round up revenant missiles into a fiery deathball, or see how many times I can fake them out and miss their punches, chainsaw cacodemons and hell knights, and back myself into the corner closest to the monsters to see if I can escape. How I've learned to laugh when something kills me, and to endanger myself when the challenge is light lets me get considerable enjoyment out of every wad I play.

In my case, I almost always play with -fast, and if I feel it's still too easy, I'll sometimes try -respawn. And if it happens to be a very hard wad, sometimes I play in skill 1 with -fast and -respawn. That's one of the things I love most of this game: It's really easy to adjust the difficulty level for your own tastes/skill with a combination of five skill levels and those two parameters.

damerell said:

I'll grant you the rest, but doesn't everyone chainsaw tomatoes, given half a chance? They can't do anything about it as a rule, and it's six shells saved every time...

I often do if they're in a position that fits it and I'm not drowning in ammo, but because you sometimes get unlucky and they bite you, it's often safer to just spend the ammo.

plums said:

I often do if they're in a position that fits it and I'm not drowning in ammo, but because you sometimes get unlucky and they bite you, it's often safer to just spend the ammo.

Now I look... yes. I've been thinking for years I was just letting them get loose and taking damage then, but given their relatively quick windup time before attacking, you're right, they do have a reasonable chance of getting a nibble in.

I hate it when things like "think how Romero would do it" are said, I can't take that into consideration because I am not god damn John Romero.

I keep sucking at deathmatch and I don't seem to be getting any better. Maybe I'm not focused enough or I just don't take it so seriously XD

Whenever I see a nice picture now, I tend to think "that would make a good sky/wall texture/map base" than just appreciating the picture.

mrthejoshmon said:

I hate it when things like "think how Romero would do it" are said, I can't take that into consideration because I am not god damn John Romero.

But Romero would take this into consideration...

I have just finished "Masters of Doom" for the first time and I have this "funny feeling" which always accompanies you when you're done with a good story.

Even though it's probably impossible, nor would it give such results as it used to back in the early 90s, I'd like Carmack and Romero to join forces and revolutionize the genre yet again. Realistically speaking though, it's better that they pursue their own projects now and I'm just glad that according to the book's ending there is no "bad blood" between them.

I always thought they hated each other after their separation at id Software, but fortunately that's not the case.

I tried to make custom MIDI's for Doom on a synthetic (AKA a windows program) MIDI device, I suck at it and it appears I have no sense of style or rhythm when it comes to music in Doom.

I never knew about the Soul Sphere secret on map 22, so I could never beat it pistol start. I always died as soon as I entered the center room with all the chaingunners.

Even to this day after the many years of playing it, the Cacodemon death noise from PSX/N64 still makes me feel a little queasy due to the sound of the guts slapping on the floor. Ew.

It makes me cringe when people refer to medikits as medkits or med kits or whatnot. ;P

...actually I don't care at all.

DoomUK said:

Relinquish your deepest, darkest Doom-related sins and secrets and purify your spirit.

I want a "Best Of Doom Community CD, 1993-2018, for Doom's 25th, costing 25 bucks, featuring all the most notable Doom projects ever made. A Doom CD to end all Doom CDs, basically. Alternatively, it can come on 25 floppies.

Soundblock said:

I want a "Best Of Doom Community CD, 1993-2018, for Doom's 25th, costing 25 bucks, featuring all the most notable Doom projects ever made. A Doom CD to end all Doom CDs, basically. Alternatively, it can come on 25 floppies.

25 bucks or a lot of hours spent downloading them, the choice is yours!

But seriously, I could see myself paying for that...

Unfortunately it is not past 2018 and not Doom's 25th yet.

mrthejoshmon said:

25 bucks or a lot of hours spent downloading them, the choice is yours!

But seriously, I could see myself paying for that...

Unfortunately it is not past 2018 and not Doom's 25th yet.

If the material was well organised and made readily available, I think a lot of people would fork out for it.

Besides - if we're going to wait for Doom to go Public Domain (by established standards that would be... 2043??) before such a CD pops up, then we might all be too old and gray to see the screen and play it, and no one that's around then will remember the great projects made over the last couple of decades. Call it a rescue operation, for the sake of Doom's impact in particular and recorded history in general!

I know this is supposed to be a confessional booth, not a soapbox, but really...

Doominator2 said:

E2M5 Still scares me, especially in the wooden area with the low ceiling

Easily the scariest stretch of the original game. Joined by two of the other scariest maps, Deimos Lab and especially Halls of the Damned.

On the subject of stages that scare players, I still feel kind of unnerved about the maze part in the southwest corner of E1M4. Less so now that I've slaughtered thousands of Imps and Pinky Demons since first encountering it, and they're all that's in there so it really shouldn't bother me anymore, but it spooked me out the first time playing it and that hasn't entirely shaken off.

Shadow Hog said:

On the subject of stages that scare players, I still feel kind of unnerved about the maze part in the southwest corner of E1M4. Less so now that I've slaughtered thousands of Imps and Pinky Demons since first encountering it, and they're all that's in there so it really shouldn't bother me anymore, but it spooked me out the first time playing it and that hasn't entirely shaken off.

Damn, I remember a couple of years ago playing DooM at night when every one was asleep, When I turned a corner of the maze I was face to face with a Demon, I yelled and ended waking everyone up.

E1M4 gave me the biggest scare of my life.
Around a corner, facing an imp... a moment passes... as the imp hisses I nearly fell out of my chair. The only time my chest ached after a "surprise".
In addition to that I always shat my pants when thinking about the E1M2 maze and the dark passage in E1M3. In DoomII "Underhalls", "The Focus" and the beginning of "TheCrusher" used to freak me out too.

_bruce_ said:

E1M4 gave me the biggest scare of my life.
Around a corner, facing an imp... a moment passes... as the imp hisses I nearly fell out of my chair. The only time my chest ached after a "surprise".
In addition to that I always shat my pants when thinking about the E1M2 maze and the dark passage in E1M3. In DoomII "Underhalls", "The Focus" and the beginning of "TheCrusher" used to freak me out too.

Dont forget MAP11 of Plutonia and the Archviles waiting for you...behind every corner...resurrecting every thing you killed. ;)

Shadow Hog said:

Clearly somebody needs to make a mod that allows Arch-viles to be resurrected.

Don't forget to add in Cyberdemons and Masterminds!