Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hallowsend

master levels coop query

I'm trying to play through doom cooperatively with friends online and have been having fun doing d1 and d2 through doom connector using zdoom. However, when we came to play the master levels, we ran into problems. It's a pain to load each map individually, shutting the server and restarting it again after each level, so we tried to make a unified wad using the master level wad builder out there. However, the builder makes it so the master levels become a new 'episode 2' that a person can load from the menu - but on a net game through DC you can't use this feature.

Can anyone think of a solution to easily and fluidly play through the master levels Using online co-op?

Seeing as you've lumped all the maps into one WAD, using Zandronum & IDE/Doomseeker will make this easy. Use the 'map rotation' option when setting up the server.

Keep in mind that some maps use the 666/667 tags on MAP07 (Mephisto's Mausoleum, Bloodsea Keep), so if they're not in the right slot then they won't work as intended without MAPINFO (there's a chance that this 'master level wad builder' has already sorted this out for you though -- if not then it's not doing its job properly).

Bloodsea Keep only uses it for a secret area, but it's actually required for Mephisto's Mausoleum to be beatable.

If you don't mind switching source ports, Odamex can load all the wads in one server and you can set up a maplist and without kicking everyone out of the server or having to start over, it will switch wads. It's still a bit more work than playing through Doom 1 or Doom 2, but it's more convenient than having to lump all the maps together in a megawad, and rename the maps so they play in the order you want them in. Also if you don't mind playing online publicly, I think there is already a dedicated server on Odamex for the Master Levels, so you could just use that without having to do all the hard work yourself.

If you're referring to the patch on my website. Then just open the console and use the command "changemap ATTACK".

You could use slade3 to edit the mapinfo file created by the utility and edit out the command that creates the wad as an episode and change the references to the map names from "masxx" to "mapxx" to match the original doom 2 map set. So that way it will start right away at map01 when you load it and start a new game.

Memfis said:

Odamex needs the survival mode badly though, coop is uncool nowadays.

nightmare coop is the new survival (or it will be)

I don't know about that, Doom is hardly any interesting when there are no strict lose conditions. That is why I almost can't enjoy playing with saves, for example.

Thanks guys. I still haven't had chance to try it yet, but I'm trying Odamex with that master levels script, just for convenience. Looked like it worked when I set up a server and joined it myself anyway. Thanks!