Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

Thank you all guys for the reviews and thanks plums for fixing the music!

And yeah, i mean "seen" instead of "sin" in that sentence.. i realized that phrase sounds strange too...

SteveD said:

Yes, I do. Thanks to Memfis, the final version is a little nastier but also much friendlier to co-op. The only reason I still have that version is because I put a copy of it in my LMP folder to play Memfis's FDA. ;D If you'd like it so you can watch Memfis's FDA, let me know and I can upload it.

Yeah, I'd like to see the old version, and watch that FDA. I like seeing demos of people with more skill than me playing maps that I get familiar with.

walter & obake: Good, I'm glad that was helpful/useful.

TimeOfDeath: If you're releasing an updated ZDoom file, I guess include the fixed music for walter confalonieri's map? Here's the link again in case you missed it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/khacw5u7h16ix26/DMP2013-ZUDMF_HEYAHEY.wad

plums said:

... wanted more feedback, I wouldn't mind writing something lengthier for a few of them.

May I request you take a look at my map (SUBBSE in the ZDoom wad)? I want to know if some of the things were a good idea or not so I can use/avoid them in the future.

mrthejoshmon - SUBBSE

So first of all, in case you didn't read my bit on obake's level, I'm not really a fan of coloured lighting. It can look OK in places but I prefer it used subtly, as opposed to the solid colours going on here. I know that that has some precedent in PSX Doom (which I don't really have any experience with), so you can ignore this completely if you want. But I feel like the really extreme solid colours remove a lot of the visual depth that can come from normal light and texture use, and just look a bit ugly to boot. The fact that you've got some pretty hard edges for some light sections, like the blue patches in the sewers and the red square in a hallway, doesn't really help any and I think things like that would be better with rounder shapes and/or at some in-between light levels.

The exception to all that was the disco pit in the end, which looked quite funny and worked well. The outer silver area being normally lit made the centre lights stand out all the more. On the other hand that area and the surrounding rooms had some really flat texturing and lighting, the solid colour blocks looked a bit odd especially since other parts of the level had a lot more detail. I really liked the look of the outdoor zone, and the starting room with the pipes was nice.

The use of grates with hallways or buildings behind them worked really well here, and really gives the level a sense of being part of a larger area. It's also a little deceptive since the level is actually pretty short, I was fairly surprised when I came to the exit. Some buildings outside the window in the starting area would work well and fit with the aesthetic of being in a place larger than just a small Doom map.

The only other visual thing that bothered me is the switches for the lift at the start, you've got one going down the whole wall which looks pretty amateurish, and weird since the other two switches are indented.

For gameplay it was decent if simple in a lot of places. The starting room is a bit dickish and random, it killed me quickly the first time but since it's at the start it's not too bad.

Sewers are fun and kind of tough, a lot of the enemies take each other out but in instigating infighting the hitscanners, even the zombiemen, did a surprising amount of damage to me. The AV use here is awesome, a nice bit of panic without actually being too tough since you do have some cover and he's not likely to raise anything too deadly. Really liked it. I was surprised that the slime did no damage, I think you could've made it 5% just to put a little more pressure on.

After that nothing is too tricky, the disco pit clears itself out pretty easily and anything left alive can't hit you very well if you're far enough away from the edge. The enemies along the sidelines would be hard but you can basically just run around the side to the other room, and then run back to the outdoor area. The 2nd AV will raise a bunch of barons but they're pretty harmless, and even if you go for max kills you can pick them off pretty safely and let infighting do a lot of work between the mancubuses and the revenants.

All in all it's a bit uneven and some things don't do much for me, but nothing really annoys me too much and there are some really good parts.

edit: Funny coincidence that the three requests I've gotten are from the people who used coloured lights, when I don't really like them! :p

Sorry to sound like a broken Doom record (and bump the thread), but is the final version of this done or are there still things to work out?

Map15 music in vanilla/LR wad sounds familiar, where is it from?
edit: nevermind, someone else told me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5ca6Hsb2Q

edit2: by the way, on SteveD's map there are two player 3 starts so one of them works as a voodoo doll in multiplayer. So basically you get a voodoo dool in the middle of action. This definitely needs to be fixed!

Memfis said:

edit2: by the way, on SteveD's map there are two player 3 starts so one of them works as a voodoo doll in multiplayer. So basically you get a voodoo dool in the middle of action. This definitely needs to be fixed!

Yikes! I just saw this. Is it too late to make repairs? I always make trouble for myself on the multiplayer end . . . because I don't test multiplayer. :(

SteveD said:

Yikes! I just saw this. Is it too late to make repairs? I always make trouble for myself on the multiplayer end . . . because I don't test multiplayer. :(

From what I know, you should still have time. I'm not sure what's happened to the status of this project. I've waited weeks to see it finalized and played through, but I assume it has been delayed due to TimeofDeath being busy.

If that's the case, then I totally understand. I just hope to see it updated soon.

Yeah you have time SteveD.

I've been waiting for the credits graphics to be posted, but since it's now March I'll start compiling the final wad without the credits graphics.

TimeOfDeath said:

Yeah you have time SteveD.

Cool! Here is the fixed file, with everything moved to the Map19 slot; http://www.mediafire.com/download/o7gfhsvz6navsdt/DIAL666.wad

Turned out it was a misnamed deathmatch start instead of one of the co-op starts. D'oh! ;D

Many thanks to Memfis for playtesting every aspect of this map. He saved my ass twice. I owe you one. :)

BTW, owing to the change to Standard Time from Daylight Savings Time, Risen3D forced a timestamp change on the map before playing it. I've since started the map on GLBoom and GZDoom with no problem, but just in case you run into issues, let me know.

so dmp2013.wad when :(

mostly I just want to see someone review my map offline; all the feedback I've gotten for it is online and my god but is it not online-friendly

constantly spawning in and fading out monsters does that!

Not to sound like a douche or something but what is the state of this project?

Do we have an estimated release date?

Sorry if I'm bumping the thread but I really would like to know.

That's a point actually, when will this be released? Is it even finished? What is Fellowzdoomer on about Plutonia 2 for? What is John Romero doing in my cupboard?...

Alas, we may never know...

I just have to add the updated maps and stuff. Haven't been in a rush since the initial versions are already available for download, but I'll get going again tonight.

Now I've finished Evilution, please make haste and release this so I can finally get around to livestreaming it!

I'm looking forward to playing my first ever TimeofDeath map after all, among many others!

mrthejoshmon said:

That's a point actually, when will this be released? Is it even finished? What is Fellowzdoomer on about Plutonia 2 for? What is John Romero doing in my cupboard?...

Alas, we may never know...

I'm on pl2 because the music hasn't been added

If its only john Romero's head get à rocket launcher.