Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Submerge

TV making sense? Uncanny!

A couple nights ago, I was watching Filter on G$, and the topic was "the best graphics of all time in a game"

Doom ranked 4th place. Better than Halo.

sorry, but Life is unfair. I can't remeber the whole list, but..
#1 Final Fantasy 10
#4 DooM
#5 Jet Set Radio Future
#6 Parappa The Rapper
#10 Halo
That's all I can think of.

Well, Doom did indeed have awesome graphics for its time.
Did they mention Quake II by any chance? That game had, and still has,
awesome gfx.

Submerge said:

A couple nights ago, I was watching Filter on G$, and the topic was "the best graphics of all time in a game"

Doom ranked 4th place. Better than Halo.

Are you sure they didn't mean "Doom 3"?
Nah, probably not, but I wouldn't have been surprised if that was the case :-)

#1 Final Fantasy 10

Pardon me for wasting a post with this very little meaningful content, but I can't say any more than: ROFL!

Damn right Doom made it into the top scores... i mean at the time it was mind blowing, and my poor 386 DX40 was struggling to keep up with the beast.
Plus my 40mb hard disk was filling up fast...

*gets all nostalgic and retires with some whisky*

The original Quake had awesome graphics.
And let's not forget Heretic or Hexen.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

#1 Final Fantasy 10 <<-- I HATE SPIKY-HAIRED PANSIES!! THIS SUCKS!
#4 DooM (3)
#5 Jet Set Radio Future (Good stuff, but there is better.)
#6 Parappa The Rapper (*CoUgH*)
#10 Halo (ONLY 10th?)

WTF is with this list?! You'd think this crap would come from AOL or GaySpy.

I'm not surprised Doom came 4th because 'how good the graphics are' is not just a technical question,it's an artistic one too and artistically Doom is exceptional imo.
I don't know about anyone else but I just have difficulty giving credibility to obvious polygonal characters,and that includes all the Quake series,Half Life etc.RTCW is almost acceptable.Call me old-fashioned but artistically polygons have just about caught up with sprites, at last.
Yeah Donkey Kong Country looked great when it appeared on the SNES.I wonder what it would look like now? I haven't seen it for a while as I don't own it:(

DooMBoy said:

And let's not forget Heretic or Hexen.

Their gfx were too similar to Doom's to warrant taking up space on the list.

#6 Parappa The Rapper[/B]

That game was nothing but flat sprites that looked like an artist on acid drew them! Wtf is wrong with these people!?!?!

magikal said:

Yeah Donkey Kong Country looked great when it appeared on the SNES.I wonder what it would look like now? I haven't seen it for a while as I don't own it:(

It's still pretty damn cool. Amazing that Rare was able to pull it off.

bigbadgangsta said:

That game was nothing but flat sprites that looked like an artist on acid drew them! Wtf is wrong with these people!?!?!

Yeah but it was flat sprites that were being manipulated 3 dimensionally (if that makes any sense) I didnt like the game but I thought the style was interesting. If nothing else, it was different.

Archvile64 said:

Their gfx were too similar to Doom's to warrant taking up space on the list.

Hexen is the most beautiful game ever. Playing Jhexen at 320x240 res is an orgasmic experience.

Well it doesn't matter either way really, Hexen is still the most beautiful looking game ever released.

Submerge said:

sorry, but Life is unfair. I can't remeber the whole list, but..
#1 Final Fantasy 10
#4 DooM
#5 Jet Set Radio Future
#6 Parappa The Rapper
#10 Halo
That's all I can think of.

FF10 - uhhh...no
Doom - For its time, yeah. Same goes for Doom 3.
Jet Set Radio stuff - Isn't that the game with the ugly cell shading? I hate cell shading!
Parrapa - Eeew...that game was like all sprites on a 3d console.
Halo - Meh. Good visuals, but the graphics are average. The only thing I really like about the game is deathmatch...and I REALLY like it.

DKC would be a good addition to the list. KI would be on there if RARE had decided to add detail to the characters. :P Quake 1 or 2 would be a good addition since I almost wet my pants when I first played each one. Soul Calibur had some kick ass visuals as well.

And though many wouldn't think so, I thought that the original Civilization had awesome graphics when it came out. Hehe...

Submerge said:

#1 Final Fantasy 10
#4 DooM
#5 Jet Set Radio Future
#6 Parappa The Rapper
#10 Halo

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

I'm not knocking doom, but Doom doesn't deserve to be on that list. Unless of course they are going by the standard of graphics at the time the game was released, in which case, Halo should be a little bit higher, FFX should be lower and Doom should be at the top. Jet Set on the other hand, I don't think so. I can NOT stand parappa the rapper so why it is there is beyond me. Where is Quake, Quake 2, Unreal and Q3 on that list? It's a very substandard list in my opinion.

Now, on the channel itself, don't have whatever service it's been broadcasted on, so I haven't seen it. It sounds like an MTV style channel, which doesn't work too well in my opinion.
Anyone care to tell me what it's like?

Not bad but it's hardly this!

Is it? Looks a little too realife.exe for me.

LorD BaZTArD said:

It's a very substandard list in my opinion.

I think maybe the intent of this list was to recognize games that used new advancements in grahpic technology and not just higher resolutions or more polys. However, if that's the case, then I cant really see why FFX is on there.

Assmaster said:

However, if that's the case, then I cant really see why FFX is on there.

One word...Hype.