Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stomper Beta 2 (Released for preservation sake)

http://www.doomworld.com/20years/best3.php

If you don't know what Stomper is by now, it is an unfinished 32-map BOOM megawad by Nmn, who was unable to complete it due being occupied with his personal life all the time, eventually resulting in a cancellation.

It had some new textures, some new graphics, new sprites and some other stuff, making it a little unfinished partial conversion.

Now, what the cacowards page hinted at, was this. I am intending to finish Stomper with Nmn's permission and his wishes to be fulfilled as he told me in a mail. It's gonna take a while to get all the maps up to snuff, but I will try.

So far to give you a run down of things that changed since I picked the mod up:

- The map order has been reorganised.
- Some maps had to be cut on Nmn's request due quality issues.
- Now it contains a full soundtrack consisting of Nmn's midi tunes.
- Unfinished maps were finished and many others were changed and polished, some still require polish.

What's ahead?
- Polishing until September/October release.

Now, have the beta! Containing all the maps except Xaser's 20 but I put a special placeholder map in it's place for now that won't waste your time.

WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR IN TERMS OF TESTING:
- Bugs, Bugs and even more Bug reports!
- Balance feedback
- What could be improved visually
- Your feelings on the mod or each map.

stompguns addon: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds5j9refeawwg96/StomperGuns.wad?dl=0

new working link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ni0nigex4sjycm/StomperBeta2.wad?dl=0
Beta link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad2ijxqj5l1de4m/StomperPrettyMuchFinal.wad?dl=0
YOU NEED TO LAUNCH THE BEX FILE TOO TO ENSURE MAP29/30 WILL WORK CORRECTLY!!

Map names, description and screenshots:

MAP13: The Slums - You thought you stopped the mutant outbreak in Union's top secret facilties but it turns out it's only gotten worse and it has reached your home land.
8EGxE8q.png

MAP15: Tremont City - The resistance is long gone as this city's been torn to flames by the mutants. As you become outraged by the dramatic sight, you pick up the shotgun and the chaingun, all you feel, is the revenge.
XWCn5eM.png

MAP28: Spirit Path - As you descend in the levels of "Hell" trying to find the source of the outbreak. You stumble upon a weird dimension that is like a void, only thing you can tell, is that this path will be hell of a trip.
Gluxife.png

Also obligatory current maplist:

Map 01 - Incoming! - COMPLETE

Map 02 - Security Point - COMPLETE

Map 03 - Radar Base - COMPLETE

Map 04 - Human Outpost - COMPLETE

Map 05 - Fusion Plant - COMPLETE

Map 06 - Mainframe - COMPLETE

Map 07 - The Barricade - COMPLETE

Map 08 - Scrapyards - COMPLETE

Map 09 - Flow Control - COMPLETE

Map 10 - Toxic Yards - COMPLETE

Map 11 - The Bloodtower - COMPLETE

Map 12 - Grand Gate - COMPLETE

Map 13 - The Slums - COMPLETE

Map 14 - City Outskirts - COMPLETE

Map 15 - Tremont City - COMPLETE

Map 16 - The Bastion - COMPLETE

Map 17 - Outer Power Plant - COMPLETE

Map 18 - Assault - COMPLETE

Map 19 - Blacktown Powerplant - COMPLETE

Map 20 - Union Halls - Needs monster placement.

Map 21 - Chambers of Torment - COMPLETE

Map 22 - Castle Crossack - COMPLETE

Map 23 - Grindhouse - COMPLETE

Map 24 - Twisted Keep - COMPLETE

Map 25 - The Feeding Pit - COMPLETE

Map 26 - Queen of South - COMPLETE

Map 27 - Lost Sanctum - COMPLETE

Map 28 - The Spirit Path - COMPLETE

Map 29 - City of Babel - COMPLETE

Map 30 - The Machine - COMPLETE

Map 31 - Security Complex AD 2163 - In Progress

Map 32 - Ezxzentiel - requires gameplay and architecture tweaking

Edited by Alter

I just downloaded stomper recently, was having a good time playing it, now I'm really excited that more content will be added :)

Memfis said:

Interesting, which maps did he consider not good enough?

Well, looking up the mail convo, from the old unfinished build, following maps were scrapped: 32, 23, 15 (or was it 17 I forgot), 27, 36 (There was a crap secret secret map unaccessible normally for good reasons).

Map08 which is the Demo 2 map, Nmn said that it likely would need to be scrapped because it's too large to work on. But I actually dared to take the challenge and finish it. Thus, after re-order, old map08 became map15, which is the demo 2 map (with cut secret exit/blue key). It took 2-3 weeks to connect all the dots in gameplay as there was literally nothing except keys.

He also mentioned old map12 (which was moved to 08 in current build with his "reordering"), the scrapyards, but i'm not gonna scrap this one, gonna give it some serious treatment later.

o,o map17 is amazing (the outdoor area is one of the most memorable places in the wad for me), 12, 15 and 36 are quite fun too (36 is a bit confusing though maybe), dunno why he would want to remove them. Oh well, it's not like they will completely disappear from this world.

I have to admit I'm very skeptical about having other people making new maps. NMN's style is very unique and I seriously doubt that someone will be able to recreate it but ok, I'll wait for the release before complaining. =)

I remember playing Stomper to halfway, about a month and a week or two ago before I got urge to do stuff, and it was good. Aside from unfinished levels, I had no complaints. Good to see it's getting worked on. :)

Alright people give the demo a try, because I NEED that feedback (seriously). I'll try to imitate Nmn's style, in worst case, i'll just make E2 themed (city/corporate in stomper) in veins of my more modern mapping (Look at Soulcrusher's early levels for an example)

Oh thank god, I can talk about it now :D

Which of those maps correspond to my version?

I know ive been kind of terrible at getting stuff done, but yeah, its been busy, and on top of that my computer just got back from having a fan replaced (The screen will be getting fixed two in the coming week or two, so I'll lose it again)

Most of what I've played plays pretty fine, outside of some pistol starts being a huge pain, but I expect this to change later on.

Probably my only complaint about the partial TC stuff is that the zombieman sounds like the shotgun guy when firing, which is a bit confusing.

Ragnor said:

Oh thank god, I can talk about it now :D

Which of those maps correspond to my version?

I know ive been kind of terrible at getting stuff done, but yeah, its been busy, and on top of that my computer just got back from having a fan replaced (The screen will be getting fixed two in the coming week or two, so I'll lose it again)

Most of what I've played plays pretty fine, outside of some pistol starts being a huge pain, but I expect this to change later on.

Probably my only complaint about the partial TC stuff is that the zombieman sounds like the shotgun guy when firing, which is a bit confusing.

To the one I sent you? That would be Map13, Map15 and Map28.

CorSair said:

I am not versed with words, but do you care demos of the map?

Why not I guess, i'm interesed whether an UV max is possible on map 15 or 28. At the same time, I need feedback on whether the balance is good, whenever I design stuff on UV, I make it so it kicks my ass if I don't pay attention.

Demos here. GlBoom+, -complevel -1, (so monsters go anywhere they like.) Hnnh. In my opinion, terrible performance. Especially Map 27 (or Map 3.)

So, first map, I think it is all right as is. Maybe bit too much ammo, especially in red key area. I think I left few dozen of boxes here and there, and red key area holds, in my opinion, too much ammo.

Second map, has few HOMs in that barricade along main road, you probably see me pointing where. UV max is possible from pistol start... though I couldn't get that secret exit, plus few enemies (one is stuck on western part, probably deaf, two couldn't teleport in.) Quite liked this map. Even in the start, getting flushed out and then madly dashing everywhere, just to get a place to hold my ground.

Third map... Let's just say, dong started to grow on my forehead when I got bombarded to death by revenant. Probably the most irritating part, and almost wished that I played this on ZDoom with mouselook on. I think revenants do their job too well, at least on blue key part fellas.

I think I try figure few words thoughts more, I suppose.

The secret exit's been disabled because it's map02 here, thus it doesn't count as a secret either IIRC. But yeah originally it's map15. Thanks for the feedback and yes, the third map is map28 currently, so it's meant to be "very hard"

I thought that was 28 going by the screenshot. I fooled around at the start of that a few days before the fan died

Avoozl said:

The weapons in the shots look cool, I'm kind of interested in this right now.

The plasma rifle is pure win

Cool, I didn't know that default complevel allows you to save and load your game during recording. Although stodemo3.lmp crashed on me because of some savegame issue.

HMP FDAs (complevel 9). That was the first time I played Doom in a few months. Didn't finish maps 2 and 3, because it started to feel like Sisyphean labor after a few retries.

Liked the new weapon sprites, although the shotgun's idle frame needs some work. Didn't like sound replacements that much, especially the explosion sound. Black sky in the third map was glitchy in PrBoom+.

Not sure if there's anything I can do to the fix the black sky in the prboom+, it works fine in glboom+. Must be a serious renderer issue (I didn't make the map either, just did the thing placement).

Edit: I checked it doesn't happen under zdoom's software renderer either!

By glitchy sky do you mean the fact that some parts of it are blue? That's because you aren't transfering the black sky to all sectors with F_SKY1. For each group of sky sectors with a new tag, you need a new transfer linedef with that tag. Adding all these new transfer linedefs might take some time so you can just use this cool prefab to do it quickly - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/64477-sky-transfer-prefab/
And I guess in glboom+ it looks fine as it is because it treats "sky collisions" (when two adjacent sectors have a different sky) differently. It's somewhat of a grey area where the correct behavior isn't defined and differs from port to port.

I looked into it and couldn't find the source of the problem either.

But I also noticed that you have some sectors with standart blue sky right in the middle of the cave. It seems that you need sky transferring actions for a few more tags.

[edit]

Ninja'd.

Memfis said:

By glitchy sky do you mean the fact that some parts of it are blue?

I meant tutti-frutti originally.

Da Werecat said:

I looked into it and couldn't find the source of the problem either.

But I also noticed that you have some sectors with standart blue sky right in the middle of the cave. It seems that you need sky transferring actions for a few more tags.

I actually found out the bug causing the sky weirdness in prboom+ but am unable to fix it. Basically the texture used for sky transfer was 64x64, I changed it to 256x128 but it didn't help. Bugger. As for the blue sky bug, I noticed it when testing with zdoom. (Tried to see on which ports the sky bugs out)

I am very pleased to see that this has been picked up and being finished. It's a shame that some maps are being cut though but if NMN deems them as being unacceptable then that's fair enough. I can't wait to get some more demo action on this but I am going to detest having to redo my Map02 speed demo, heh. Good luck with this and I am really looking forward to playing the full product.

Springy said:

I am very pleased to see that this has been picked up and being finished. It's a shame that some maps are being cut though but if NMN deems them as being unacceptable then that's fair enough. I can't wait to get some more demo action on this but I am going to detest having to redo my Map02 speed demo, heh. Good luck with this and I am really looking forward to playing the full product.

Thanks, it's slowly going because I have a game design project alongside Stomper, Stomper's going fairly slow but at least i'm taking time with making sure it's quality all around. I will definitely go for a public beta test once all maps are in and finished. Because that's the fastest way i'm gonna fix the wad incase issues arrive.

Just an update, updating my prboom to 2.5.1.3 from 2.5.0.5 fixed the tutti frutti sky in map03. NOW to fix that sky HOM....

No real lighting to this room yet, yes I know about that texture misalignment. Shot from Stomper map17 (aka one of the maps needing to be made from scratch, now in progress).

Things are progressing slowly, they will take a while, but the release is not unrealistic at all.

After 3 months of break due a massive load of exams I had at my university, i'm back to restoring/finishing Stomper.

For now I only have a map from a map17 i'm working on currently.

Map17's slowly nearing to a finish. :) After that, i'll continue working on an another map I was meant to finish but left it unfinished.

previous screenshot: Slime pillars look a bit strange to me. (impossible physically)