Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Beef Jerky: Crossover Boss Rush (He's dead, Jim)

[Screenshots][Download]
Latest Version
(Set dynamic light intensity and size both to 1.0)

What the hell is this?!
Beef Jerky is a mod for GZDOOM that attempts to recreate various worlds from numerous video game series in the DOOM engine, pitting you against characters from those series and allowing you to take their powers. Or in other words, it's a thing that lets you shoot Sonic The Hedgehog in the face and then steal his fast.

The mod is arranged as a Mario 64-esq HUB with teleporters leading off to each map, there it's business as usual up until you run into whatever hotshot that's trying to protect their home turf from the local demonic invasion which, as usual, you've been sent to deal with (Good luck convincing them of that). If you manage to come out on top, you'll get access to whatever neat things they've got under their sleeves.

Hidden in the darkest, dankest corners of each map are the Posters, collecting them grants you access to caches of useful items. Find them all, and you'll earn yourself something nice, no doubt.

[What's Here]
Crazy-ass Sonic boss
Almost-functioning Metal Sonic boss
Atomic Baron miniboss
Ring Toss power
HUB system
Poster system
Half-assed Brutal Doom compatibility
Half-assed placeholder sprites

[What's Planned To Be Here]
More series(es?)
Shop System
Better sprites
An actual time/ring counter

[Map List]
Spoiler

[Intro - Himalayas]
Completion - 100%

[Series - Castlevania]
Title - Rondo of Blood
Map - Main Hall (Stage 2)
Completion - 0%

[Series - Cave Story]
Title - Cave Story +
Map - Egg Corridor
Completion - 5%

[Series - Mario]
Title - undecided
Map - undecided
Completion - 2%

[Series - Sonic]
Title - Sonic X-treme
Map - Jade Gully
Completion - 85%

[Series - The Witch's House]
Title - The Witch's House
Map - The House (duh)
Completion - 12%

[Series - The Legend of Zelda]
Title - undecided
Map - undecided
Completion - 0%

Credits:
(If there's anyone I'm forgetting, make sure to tell me.)
Spoiler

|===RESOURCES=====|

=========
-REALM667 CHANDELIERS-
Submitted: TODM, Blue Shadow
Decorate: TODM, Blue Shadow (Edit)
GLDefs: TODM, bravo (Worked of his Original)
Sounds: Petrilla Entertainment
Sprites: Hexen
Sprite Edit: TODM
Idea Base: bravos Original Entry
==========

|======CODE=======|

==========
Sergeant Mark IV's Brutal Doom
==========

==========
TITLE_DROP_EXAMPLE extracted from unofficial development of map KDiZD ZE1M9
credit for scripts goes to Biohazard
==========

==========
Kappes Buur for getting the polyobj crushers to work
==========

|====GRAPHICS=====|

=========
Snow and industrial textures from:
-Cage Tex
=========

=========
Badass Cloudy Sky:
Mechadon
=========

=========
Snow skybox
by... ???
=========

=========
Edited Doom 2 textures (d2text)
by... ???
=========

=========
Atomic Baron and Thermovile bosses use frames modified
from Id Software's DOOM series, taken from Brutal Doom
=========

=========
Sonic sprites from Sonix X-treme ripped by:
-Yannackhary,

Rendered by:
-Ross Harris
=========

=========
Misc Sonic sprites (Death Balls, rings)
and textures ripped by:
-Shadowth117
=========

=========
Cave Story GFX ripped from CS+ on Steam
originally drawn by:
-Daisuke "Pixel" AMAYA,

Edited by:
-NICALIS
=========

=========
Resident Evil textures ripped by:
-IceManual
=========

|======MUSIC========|

=========
Soundtrack rips courtesy of:
-Zophar's Domain
=========

=========
Stage 2 of Super Turrican by:
-Chris Huelsbeck
(Intro map)
=========

=========
Cave Story Soundtrack by:
-Daisuke "Pixel" AMAYA

MIDIs sequenced by:
-Connor Pelkey (Cyril)
-SwordBolt
=========

=========
Sonic X-Treme soundtrack by:
-Chris Senn

MIDIs sequenced by:
-King Meteor
=========

=========
Quinkan Theme from Ty 3 by:
-George Stamatiadis
(Atomic Baron)
=========

Original Post:
Spoiler

First (real) map. First custom boss.
Pretty much what you'd expect, It all started when I wanted to see if I could adequately make a super-agile monster using all I knew about DECORATE. He's not too tough, just don't let him get you with your back turned. If the map doesn't show up, just type "summon sonic" in the console.

For GZDOOM.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/Screenshot_Doom_20140316_144513.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/KillerSonic.zip

Thoughts?

(I'm aware of the missing sides, I just couldn't get rid of them no matter how hard I tried)

Lizardcommando said:

...Do you plan on expanding on this?

Though the original plan was to have him as a boss in a PWAD I'm working on, in the end I did it mostly for the hell of it. I'm not really sure what else to do, I guess I could redraw the map from scratch to get rid of the linedef errors and add in some hellified versions of Sonic textures to complete the package. I'm just glad I don't have to mess with that spritesheet anymore.

So many hours...

Although, it would be kind of cool to have a... 'Video Game Arena' kind of mod: Where you would have different characters thrown at you in one giant boss rush. Doomguy VS The World?

Edit: Ah, how rude of me, I must thank you for taking time to play this!

Lizardcommando said:

That would be pretty neat to see. You could fight against Mario, Megaman, Samus or Link, maybe?

Wouldn't mind if you could play as them too, of course class oriented and not having a skin of said character. *Points at Console Doom 64 for Skulltag* ¬.¬;

Sonic X-Treme had some pretty nice (if insanely low-res) textures, yeah. It's a shame they were never really used anywhere.

Shadow Hog said:

Sonic X-Treme had some pretty nice (if insanely low-res) textures, yeah. It's a shame they were never really used anywhere.

Heh heh, they're actually so low res that I had to upscale them with 4xBRLV4 in order to get them to match up with DoomGuy and Sonic (They were 16x16 as opposed to 64x64 as they are seemingly displayed in Sonic X-Treme). This was in fact necessary since there's no sidedef texture scaling for UDMF as far as I'm aware.

I really like the look of this, good use of resources. Sonic's movement is pretty fluid, haven't really seen movement like that for an actor in Doom before.

Is it wrong I wanted the actual Sanic to chase me around saying "Cum on step it up" and "Gotta go fast" whilst the epic ear-rape music played?

mrthejoshmon said:

Is it wrong I wanted the actual Sanic to chase me around saying "Cum on step it up" and "Gotta go fast" whilst the epic ear-rape music played?

Just head over to /idgames, that's pretty much all you'll find

Jaxxoon R said:

Heh heh, they're actually so low res that I had to upscale them with 4xBRLV4 in order to get them to match up with DoomGuy and Sonic (They were 16x16 as opposed to 64x64 as they are seemingly displayed in Sonic X-Treme). This was in fact necessary since there's no sidedef texture scaling for UDMF as far as I'm aware.

eh? isn't there? should be pretty easy to do with GZDoom Builder

I didn't know what to expect going in, and left very impressed.

Also, I would also be interested in fighting more characters like this as well.

Recreation of Jade Gully 1 from screenshots and videos.

Alright, so I've got an update in the works, once this thing here is done I'll put it up. There's still so much left to do, though it should come along quite quickly eventually.

Jaxxoon R said:

Recreation of Jade Gully 1 from screenshots and videos.

You don't have to do that. Chris Senn released the actual maps themselves, and people have written map viewers for them.

Alright-- so I've got a new name for this and a proof-of-concept just about ready. Should I make a new thread, change the title and edit the first post, or just continue on like this?

Jaxxoon R said:

Alright-- so I've got a new name for this and a proof-of-concept just about ready. Should I make a new thread, change the title and edit the first post, or just continue on like this?

I think editing the title might be best unless the project is very different.

Massive update:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/Beef%20Jerky.zip

Optional Modern Sonic voice clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161031419/GINARACSANIC.zip

How this'll work:
You start off in an intro level and move onto Beef Jerky, which serves as a sort of HUB. Inside the hub there are portals to different Vidya Game worlds, each franchise having two maps: The first of each is open to explore and represents Hell and Doom-style gameplay bleeding into the new reality. The second is a faithful recreation of some part of the franchise.
At the end of each map you fight a boss. First map is a remixed version of a Doom monster taking advantage of the environment around it. Killing it rewards you with a key to the second map, where you fight the protagonist of that series. Defeating him/her/it nets you one of their powers. Defeating all characters in a wave (5 chars. per wave) lets you move onto the next wave (Section of the HUB).

Another planned mechanic are the posters. Hidden deep in the maps are images with stupid captions, and collecting them nets you bonus items and access to new weapons. Getting them all unlocks the secret series...

(Bold are done, Italics are in progress)

Series:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Castlevania

Cave Story

Mario

Zelda

(Will add more at request, max is 15)

Pretty impressive so far. I was quite excited when I fought the Nuclear Hell Baron in the intro map, as I am a big fan of boss fights in games.

So, you said you want to choose a few franchises to base levels off of? How far would this go? Pre-3D/N64?

Some possible classic franchises I would like to see are Castlevania, Zelda, maybe Pokemon. Just a few ideas.

Also, you looking for any help mapping or anything?

I had an idea just like this a long time ago, but I had neither the time nor motivation to do it. As for franchises I'd like to see, any one of Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Metroid, Jazz Jackrabbit, or Donkey Kong Country would be great.

Hey thanks, I'm really rather proud of that boss (Made the roars myself).
My only concern is where I'll find the sprites for the rest of the characters. I suppose one could just pose and take snapshots of a model rip at Vanilla resolution or something. I'd do it myself, but I don't know what software to use. Or if worse comes to worse maybe I could just make some models out of Sculpy and take pictures of them... I dunno.

About the series in general; anything post-N64/Handheld or with too 'organic' of an art art style might be a bit too much to work with (So something like Rayman 1 or 3 would be a no go).
I'd like to know exactly what part of each series people would like to see. For example: Zelda... Which game or generation should I have a look at? Classic? A Link to the X? Or Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask? What map exactly?
Stuff like that.

Help with mapping? I'd probably need it for series that I'm less familiar with, like Pokemon. I know the first 150 and that there's ice-cream... How I'd pull off the whole... 'fusion' gimmick with the UAC and Hell encroaching it, I dunno. It's kind of all over the place as a series, with a million-and-one different locations and themes.
I'd at least like to get the level unlocking and poster system actually working, for starters. :D

Start room:

Topside view:

The Ring Toss power you get after you kill Sonic:

(Ignore the gore effects, forgot I was running an enhancer)

UPDATE

Props to anyone who remembers this.

Major overhaul to.. well, everything really. Sanic himself has much improved behavior and new attack patterns, some bugs/oversights have been fixed, and there's way much more things to do here and now. Hell, the entire Sonic level has been expanded and touched up to the X-treme (hur).

In other words, everything is completely different and new.

Give it a go.