Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

Gore in games a lot less than before?

yeah, nowadays they just add blood splatters and bulletholes. Blood 1 and its addons I always fondly reminisce it. Sniper elite 3 got nice anatomically correct gore and predecessor also had

GeckoYamori said:

I'm not so much thinking about Doom when it comes to the goriest games of the decade... Just brought it up as an example since the cacodemon and baron of hell have some pretty elaborate death animations with their still attached eyeballs popping out and the guts falling out of the baron as it falls apart. This kind of stuff isn't all that hard to do when you're just animating 2D frames. Doing it on the same level on a 3D model is a whole different story.

Fallout 1/2 and Crusader No Remorse/Regret are some particular titles I think of when it comes to 90's 2D gore. They have some pretty excessive death animations from the different weapons available.

Ya, how cool was it it to knock a guys body off of his waist with the laser rifle or blowing away a chunk of a molerat's head? I really wish they would have these kind of death animations in modern games.

Maes said:

The Soldier of Fortune games had a realistic (for their time) wound & goring engine, but apparently gamers proved not to be particularly interested in this sort of thing, after all.

Soldier of Fortune for me, is the quintessential gore game. I even really enjoyed Solider of Fortune: Payback, despite the fact it wasn't by any means a polished or well made game. The first SOF was my favorite.

It may not be a good game to many, but Dead Island should suit your pretty fucked up needs:

Cutting individual limbs off and creating POOLS OF BLOOD!
Decapitations with POOLS OF BLOOD!
Break bones, disembowel enemies and make them puke POOLS OF BLOOD!
Burn corpses, burn live enemies and watch as they BURN and lay there in POOLS OF BLOOD!
Crush heads into POOLS OF BLOOD!

POOLS OF BLOOD! 10/10 -IGN.

Or you could consider the F.E.A.R series (Consider this a horror game? MAN UP PUSSY! YOU NEED TO SPILL MOAR BLOOD!).

I believe in F.E.A.R 3 (a co-op only game BTW, the story don't make much sense single player) you can do all sorts of fucked up things like take peoples entire faces off with shotgun blasts only to have them continue to try and murder you.

You could also try Postal 3... Wait don't try that one.

You could play the Fallout games, any of them will do as all of them have much lovely POOLS OF BLOOD and gore, but since we want "modern games" you can try the newer releases (A lot of people hate them new releases due to the huge difference between them and the older games and I don't blame them, Fallout 3 is super simplistic compared to Fallout).

The new Shadow Warrior is fun as all hell BTW.

Left 4 Dead 2 is gory, very gory but it may be focused on co-op for you to focus on the lovely POOLS OF BLOOD!

Also the most gory game I have ever played has to be Farming Simulator 2013, fucking brewtal shit right there.

EDIT: Also,

Reaper978 said:
What happened to the violent days of Quake, Half-Life and Duke Nukem

You have got to be kidding me.

At the time, Duke Nukem 3D was really gory. I don't think there were many other games at the time with lots of gibs flying, except maybe Quake.

Duke had fun little details with gore, like you leaving bloody footprints after stepping on a corpse, or if you got a corpse to be crushed by a door, and then opened the door, it'd stretch a string of squishy meat in the opening.

GoatLord said:

At the time, Duke Nukem 3D was really gory. I don't think there were many other games at the time with lots of gibs flying, except maybe Quake.

Rise Of The Triad - ludicrous gibs...

Quake is a generation ahead of these...

nope. The latest Alien vs Predator game was gory to the point of making me vaguely uncomfortable participating in it.

I can see how the kids loved it, however.

darknation said:

nope. The latest Alien vs Predator game was gory to the point of making me vaguely uncomfortable participating in it.

I can see how the kids loved it, however.

That almost sounds impressive, though reviews of the rest of the game still ward me away from even checking it out.

Kirby said:

That almost sounds impressive, though reviews of the rest of the game still ward me away from even checking it out.

I found it fun when playing the alien, predator was a bit shit and marine is much better than predator but also much harder.

I couldn't really recommend the game for core gameplay besides the alien class but if one were looking for gore then the game has some nasty first person executions like shoving ones alien tail (supposedly by how it looks) up a marines ass until he chokes on it, tearing some dudes head off and stroking the spinal cord as a predator, easing half of somebodies face as an alien (complete with dangling eye ball), cutting the front off an aliens face and seeing how e looks in there or making an unsuspecting marines light headache into a splitting migraine ect...

But the campaign sucked, the same like 5 maps over and over again is not great and the multiplayer is even more absurd with people who can jump into a room as predator, and walk out with every bodies heads within 2 seconds, just for them to then message you "Fukin rekt you filthy casual".

Just, don't get the game.

The main reason NOW for almost no gore is that the age restrictions are being ignored.Sqeakers left and right kids screaming "I'LL FUCKING HACK YOU YOU PEICE OF SHITBAG FUCK CUNT MY DAD WORKS FOR MICROSOFT YOU NOOBS" or the more common one "OMG you noob. OMG you have no life."Its not suprising how much it affects their real life too. "ermergerd im a gun expert"Heard it too many times.

Kirby said:

AvP was a solid 7 out of 10; not so good, not so bad. But compared to Colonial Marines, it's the superior game.

I was pretty good with the marine. Moreover, I actually beat the whole game for each race on the hardest difficulty; nightmare.

mrthejoshmon said:

Left 4 Dead 2 is gory, very gory but it may be focused on co-op for you to focus on the lovely POOLS OF BLOOD!

This right here, indeed. Watching 20 zombies get blown up by a pipe bomb and seeing arms and legs and intestines fly off and the blood and gore in general in l4d is pretty fucking grotesque.

This thread is really odd because modern gore is waaaay above what it once was.

Quast said:

This right here, indeed. Watching 20 zombies get blown up by a pipe bomb and seeing arms and legs and intestines fly off and the blood and gore in general in l4d is pretty fucking grotesque.

Not to mention those moments when ammo is running so low that the melee weapons become your main weapon, the fire axe and chainsaw stick out in the crowd for gut spilling/large exposed wound reasons.

And is it just me or do zombies leave a quite literal trail of intestines if the correct weapon is used? Using the grenade launcher and boomer bile combo results in some kind of fleshy confetti stringing itself over everything creating a very disturbing scene (most noteworthy on the carnival mission, that cheesy horror music mixed with displays of guts everywhere makes me forget I am playing a source engine game).

-

On a side note, I remember there being cheats in the 3d GTA games that wouldn't tell you when they were activated or not, what the cheats did is "Increase gore" (Weirdly enough that was the cheats official name, it wouldn't appear in most cheat guides as the dev's hid this one for obvious reasons) which allowed you to sever entire limbs and even carve limbs into weird "Exploded cigar" shapes (I know GTA3, Vice City and maybe SA had this cheat, not sure about the rest) but it was less brutal and more comically bad to see 70 arms roll down the street like they were possessed after giving the civies weapons and having them riot (Two of my favorite cheats).

Serious Sam BFE may also be one to take into consideration (And possibly the HD remakes of the older Serious Sam: TFE and TSE games) due to how the game uses blood to tell you if you hit anything or if that thing is going to die/is dead.

Also, gore features cause more bugs within the game (I have had a full blown conversation with a torso before) and as graphics increase gore is getting much harder to implement (Also keep in mind somebody has to sit there and texture all those guts and shit, not a nice job and feel especially bad for the guy who did the models in Duke Forever, I will never forget that whole series of fucked up "Plot twists" that put me off the game for two weeks).

But I can say I do want a form of gibing because when my airstrike comes down and an entire 100% intact body flies into me at 400 MPH with not even a scratch from an entire missile barrage that ends up in two different thoughts:

1. That was a shit airstrike

2. How does that guy still have everything attached, he just ate the pavement?

But rather than have guts and shit fly off, just gib the guy right there and then please.

Another game to take into consideration is (unfortunately) Duke Nukem Forever, that shit was unsettling (Here looking at you "The Hive!") and gory, but also misogynistic (I don't like the fact that even Duke was cracking jokes at raped women... Who then die that then Duke makes EVEN MORE JOKES AT... In fact I don't like the entire rape part of the game at all, that shit is just uncalled for and nasty) and well... Just shit unless the year was 2004.

Another MOD for a game you could look at is (The currently broken due to recent updates to the engine) SMOD for half Life 2, and set the gore up to max, nothing beats "NPC_CREATE NPC_BREEN" followed by shoving your foot up his despicable ass until he explodes into chunks or setting multiple of the fuckers up against the wall for an execution squad of flying physics objects to pool the blood up!

And talking of mods, there is literally hundreds of mods to satisfy your fucked up desires! Just keep the details away from me, there is some mods out there that would probably get you some very odd looks involving gore and chambers and stuff that will not be mentioned because it is just weird.

What the hell am I even talking about at this point...

mrthejoshmon said:

And is it just me or do zombies leave a quite literal trail of intestines if the correct weapon is used?

Yeah, the pipe bombs and grenade launchers and any weapon with frag rounds does this.

I just bought Shadow Warrior (the 2013 version) in the Steam midweek sale and I thought of this thread as I did so.

I remember the original being pretty gory back in the 90s - has anyone played both and can compare?

mrthejoshmon said:
But I can say I do want a form of gibing because when my airstrike comes down and an entire 100% intact body flies into me at 400 MPH with not even a scratch from an entire missile barrage that ends up in two different thoughts:

1. That was a shit airstrike

2. How does that guy still have everything attached, he just ate the pavement?

But rather than have guts and shit fly off, just gib the guy right there and then please. [/B]

Check Red Orchestra 2. When players get hit by artillery/tank shells/anti-tank guns, their ragdolls are sent flying with just one or two limbs removed (only in very rare cases you can see a body with head and three or all four limbs removed). It's simple and very charming, and I think every game should have at least this level of gore. (but I still wish some brain pieces could fly off from heads getting hit by 7.62 projectiles. That would make this game perfect)

pritch said:

I just bought Shadow Warrior (the 2013 version) in the Steam midweek sale and I thought of this thread as I did so.

I remember the original being pretty gory back in the 90s - has anyone played both and can compare?

The original has the usual blood splats and the like, but the yellowish "Evil Ninja" enemies have a few different death animations, such as a sword-kill animation where their body sort of appears cut in half and falls apart. The enemies can also be gibbed with stuff like explosives, which sends a few little pieces flying. As for the 2013 Shadow Warrior, much more gory in terms of detail. Human and demon enemies can be cut and splattered into gruesome pieces, intestines and internal organs get sloshed around...

Bucking the trend then! I think I'll save this for my new card, which is probably going to be an R9 270.

Quast said:

While many modern games with gore have been mentioned, I can't help but think that there is a trend for less gore in modern gaming, especially no gibbing. That's really why I posted this thread. I'm not asking for gory games to be more gory than they already are, they're fine the way they are.

If you want some online medieval action with dismemberment theres always Chivalry:Medieval Warfare.

Carmageddon:Reincarnation, early access atm but you can still run pedestrians and cows over already :P

Reaper978 said:

While many modern games with gore have been mentioned, I can't help but think that there is a trend for less gore in modern gaming, especially no gibbing. That's really why I posted this thread

That's fine. But it's objectively wrong. Not only is gore more prevalent, but it's "better" in some sense because the tech allows it.

Patrol1985 said:

I think the first 20 seconds of this trailer is enough to see what the new Shadow Warrior's approach is in terms of violence ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwjB2Re_Sso

Thanks for that - it's hard to disagree with that assessment :P

Definitely saving this for the new card :)

pritch said:

Thanks for that - it's hard to disagree with that assessment :P

Definitely saving this for the new card :)

Hehe, my computer is too weak to run the new Shadow Warrior, but I bought it already when it was on a discount on Steam. Now all I need is PC upgrade :P

Actually, I'm playing the old Shadow Warrior now, as I had never completed it. I've already beaten the base game and I'm playing expansions now.

Regarding the new one, I had an opportunity to test it on a different computer and I really liked it. Swordplay element is AWESOME. You can dash-in, slice, add some special move (you execute them more or less like in fighting games - by pressing movement keys in specific sequences) and dash back etc. On the one hand it's still simple enough to understand it quickly, but on the other hand it provides variety to the genre.

Patrol1985 said:

Swordplay element is AWESOME. You can dash-in, slice, add some special move (you execute them more or less like in fighting games - by pressing movement keys in specific sequences) and dash back etc.

You end up using the sword specials all the time, over and over again because the guns suck so hard the game has to force you to use them in boss fights.

For a gimmick that's supposed to sell the game it gets boring really fast.

Belial said:

You end up using the sword specials all the time, over and over again because the guns suck so hard the game has to force you to use them in boss fights.

For a gimmick that's supposed to sell the game it gets boring really fast.

Could be true. I didn't play long enough to get bored with the sword and I ended up using it all the time because of how cool it was for me. I'm not sure I fired a gun even once :D

Fortunately, the demo has been released recently, so now everyone can test the game for themselves and make a decision regarding purchase.

I bet the demo is just short enough to avoid making people aware they'll be doing the same 4 combos for 17 chapters of the game.

The only thing it has going for it are the environments. Some really nice and diverse settings across the mapset, like the docks in chapter 9 or the mountain base in 12 and 13.

Avoozl said:

Actually I've noticed the shell casings don't even touch the ground at all and are merely 2D sprites which disappear when going off the screen.

A perfect example of this would be Heavy's minigun casings in TF2 (one on the right):

http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ss/skins/80399.jpg

However, other casings in TF2, like the various shotgun shells, are an actual 3d model with rough, basic physics-based animation.