Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Monster, munitions, items and keys

I got some questions and my opinions. Post your answers and whatever, you know the drill.

Question #1 : What are you hoping to see when it comes to the monsters? Do you want to see all the oldies brought back with some new enemies, some of the old monsters mixed with some new ones or totally new monsters (though some may be based off of old ones).

I would like to see all the old monsters brought back, along with new enemies. I would also like to see different "races" of enemies, like you would have to fight more than one type of Imp, like one type throws a single fireball, while another type throws two at the same time, spectres could be fuzzy, translucent or totally ivisible until they attack, or some lost souls could dive bomb you, while others do that telepathic attack that they did in the betas.

Question #2 : What monsters would you like to see return?

Like I said, I wanna see all of the old monsters to come back!

Question #3 : How should the difficulty levels affect the game? Should it make it so you recive less ammo, you take more damage, there are more monsters, monsters attack faster, monsters respawn, stuff like that? List what you think the difficulties should be and what how they would affect the game.

I think it should go like this (don't take the names seriously) :

Training (very easy) - you get twice as much ammo on pickup, enemies are weaker, health and ammo is frequent.

Time to Fight (easy) - you get the standard ammount of ammo on pickup, the monsters are a little tougher and there are a little bit more, health is standard, though ammo is frequent.

Pain is my Friend (medium) - you get the standard ammount of ammo on pickup, the monsters have random health, speed and how fast they attack (not totally random, there would be set numbers, such as an Imp could have hitpoints ranging from 25 to 40), there is a considerable increase in monsters, health is standard, ammo is standard.

I Taunt Death (hard) - you get the standard ammount of ammo on pickup, the monsters have random health, speed and how fast they attack, there a lot of monsters, health is standard, ammo is scarce.

NIGHTMARE!!! (very hard) - you get less ammo on pickup, the monsters have higher hitpoints, they are faster, and they attack faster, there are a lot of monsters, and they respawn, health is scarce, ammo is scarce.

Question #4 : how many weapons do you think should be in the game? Should some weapons have alternate attacks and second modes? Should weapons reload?

I think Doom 3 should have about 10-15 weapons, some with alternate attacks and second modes, and some weapons should reload...(I rethought the ammount of guns, I realized that more guns = less balance)

NEW QUESTIONS

Question #5 : what kind of soundtrack should Doom 3 have. Should it be a mix of industrial and ambient sound, should it be pure industrial, or should it have all these things plus like gothic music, like chants?

I think the music should be carefully balanced to fit the levels perfectly. If I'm gonna be playing a level that has a lot of heart pounding action, then I want fast, hard music, but if I'm in a level where it looks like it's safe, but the monsters are just waiting to ambush me, traps everywhere and really dark halls, I want creepy ambient music...

Question #6 : what weapons do YOU want to see, what attacks they would have, a second mode (if any), and clipsize

1-1 : Hand to Hand Combat
---------------------------
Primary : throw a left or right punch
Alt : kick
Information : your hand to hand combat skills are as sharp as ever, and with the adrenaline constantly pumping through your veins, you should be able to crack some jaws with your fists. Your kicks are stronger than punching, but they are slower and it takes a bit to prepare to attack again. Your melee skills are not loud, so it will not attract enemy attention.

1-2 : Hole Pounder
--------------------
Primary : pound spike
Alt : drill attack
Information : the Hole Pounder is a U.A.C. mining tool. It has a large sharp spiked head that is used to punch holes in the ore found on Phobos, Deimos and Mars. It can also be used to tunnel. Using the drill attack is similar to using a chainsaw, it pulls your enemies in towards you, but the force given off from pounding the spike to punch a hole in something can knock a monster back, if it isn't to heavy. The Hole Pounder is pretty damn loud, so if you are looking to be sneaky, this isn't the weapon to use. It uses a unique oxygen pump system. It takes in air to pull the spike back and then releases it, thrusting the spike forward. Using the drill, it simply sucks in and blows out air at a tremendous speed into a windmill type device which rotates the spike, turning it into a drill like weapon.

2 : Pistol
------------
Primary : shoot
Alt : fire using two hands
Mode 2 primary : shoot right then left pistol
Mode 2 alt : fire both at the same time
Reload : 12 per gun
Mode 2 : dual pistols
Information : The pistol isn't strong, but it gets the job done. Using the two handed firing style increases your accuracy, letting you land deadlier shots, but at the cost of firing speed. If you find another pistol you can use two at the same time. Firing them right then left is good for making holes in many enemies at once, but firing them both at the same time is used to deliver a deadlier shot to a single enemy. Using two pistols may be stronger, but it makes the reload time twice as long, which isn't good when ya got fireballs rainin' down on ya.

3 - 1 : .12 Gauge Hunting Shotgun
-----------------------------------
Primary : Shoot
Alt : None
Reload : 8
Upgrade : Saw off barrel
Information : The .12 gauge really helps you kick some ass. The spread from the buckshot is good for upclose action to medium range. At long range, don't expect to do to much without a sawed off barrel. When you find the hacksaw, you can saw off the barrel, making the spread more concentrated. It goes from a wide spread to a cluster of buckshot that not only is extremely deadly upclose, but it also lets you do more damage from a distance as well!

3 - 2 : Double Barreled Riot Control Shotgun
----------------------------------------------
Mode 2 : Load and use .12 gauge slugs
Reload : every shot
Information : The D.B.S. is a deadly weapon upclose and does considerable damage at medium range. At a distance, it will do some damage, but usually not enough. That is what .12 gauge slugs are for. Slugs do not have a spread, but they pack a harder punch from a distance.

4 - 1 : Chaingun
------------------
Primary : Spinup, fire slow, medium, fast then fastest
Alt : Spinup, fire slow
Information : The Chaingun may remind you of the Chaingun from Quake II. At its fastest rate of fire, it can do tons of damage, but it goes through ammo like nobody's buisness. The alternate attack helps you conserve your ammo so you don't waste it all fragging weak monsters.

4 - 2 : Jackhammer
--------------------
Primary : Shoot .12 gauge slugs
Alt : Shoot .12 gauge buckshot
Reload : 15 per drum (two drums, one contains the slugs, the other contains the buckshot)
Information : The Jackhammer is an automatic shotgun. Using slugs you can blast enemies that are far away from you, but with the alt you can blast enemies that are invading your personal space.

5 : R.P.G. 7
--------------
Primary : Launch a rocket propelled grenade
Alt : Launch a non-rocket propelled grenade
Information : This thing lets you deal out death upfront or from around a corner, from a ledge and...well, you get the point. Rockets explode on impact, killing or hurting not only what you hit but things that are close to it as well. The grenades can be bounced around to help you get the drop on victims you can't see. Grenades explode after 5 seconds of sitting around or upon contact with anything that isn't a wall, floor or ceiling. The problem with this weapon is that using it in a narrow hallway or upclose to something isn't fun, it hurts you too, maybe even killing you, but hey, at least you went out with a bang...or should I say boom?

6 - 1 : U.A.C. Temperature Gun
---------------------------------
Primary : Shoot a stream of fire
Alt : Shoot balls of liquid nitrogen
Reload : 75 for the flamethrower, the freezer gun doesn't need to reload
Information : Originally used in tests that required either extremely hot or cold temperatures, this weapon can either set enemies on fire or freeze them. Fire will hardly affect some enemies, mostly the ones that are mostly metal, but the liquid nitrogen will stop them in their tracks. Frozen enemies will shatter either by themselves, when touched, when they hit the ground (flying enemies) or when shot. Be careful with the flamethrower. Using it to close to the wall causes the flames to hurl back in your face, cooking you like a turkey.

6 - 2 : Plasma Rifle
----------------------
Alt : Charge, shoot a 4 layered circle of plasma energy
Information : This thing hurls balls of searing hot plasma at whatever you want to die. The longer you fire it, the hotter the plasma gets, making it spew out different colored plasma balls, which are stronger too. Sweeping side to side can quickly clear out a room, but the alt is what you want to use to take down a really big enemy. After a slight charge, it shoots out a 4 layered circle of plasma energy. The first layer (starting from the outside, working your way in) is blue, then green then red then blinding white. When this circle hits its victim, it usually goes down.

7 - 1 : BFG Prototype (2704)
------------------------------
Primary : Charge and shoot
Information : Use this to clear out a room. It spews forth plasma of various temperatures, burning flesh and melting bone. It uses 25 cells to fire. When firing, it is best to sweep side to side to get the best results

7 - 2 : BFG 9000
------------------
Primary : Charge and shoot
Alt : Charge, shoot energy ball, when it hits something, it spews out tons of little energy balls in a circle sweep (think Strife's Mauler)
Information : The good ol' BFG 9000 has been revamped a little. The range that it takes for an enemy to be hit by its spray is larger, and it also has splash damage for enemies upclose to your victim, combining that with the spray, they probably won't survive. The alternate attack gives you the same power of the BFG's energy ball, but it gives you a larger spread, increasing your chances of clearing out a room. Both attacks use 50 cells, but the alternate attack has a longer charge

8 : Electo-pulse Railgun
--------------------------
Primary : Charge, shoot super-high velocity slug
Alt : Shoot a stream of electro-pulse energy
Information : Your standard Railgun, with a twist. Shooting a slug uses 2 types of ammo, which are slugs and electro-pulse batteries. It is certainly worth it, because the slugs can go through enemies, killing or hurting things behind it. The alternate attack lets you fry a victim and it only uses up your electro-pulse batteries. Using the alternate attack in water isn't smart, don't you know that electricity and water don't mix, but it is ok if you're standing outside the water and shoot it into the water...well, it's not good for whatever is in there *evil grin*

9 : Demonic Wand
-------------------
Primary : Shoot a fireball
Alt : Rain of fire
Information : Not much is known about the Hellish magical properties this weapon contains, but it is known that it is very deadly. It uses spiritual energy to work its magic. The alternate attack requires a lot of spiritual energy to be able to cast its spell, but it is worth it. It rains fire down in front of you, and it goes forward until it hits a wall or runs out of energy.

0 : Unmaker
-------------
Primary : Shoot single beam
Alt : Charge, shoot 3 beams
Information : Very very little is known about this strange weapon from Hell other than it uses spiritual energy...

Any suggestions, changes or whatever?

Question # 7 : what about different characters? Would you like to see them? Should they be the same or have different stats?

I think that multiple characters with different skills would bring up the replay value. The stats should be :

Strength - how strong they are. The higher it is, the better they can control big weapons

Speed - how fast they are

Accuracy - how good of aim they are

Health - the max ammount of hitpoints they can recive without a powerup

Resistance - how well they handle pain and work with wounds. The lower it is, the worse off your character will be when hurt badly.

Question #8 : do you want to see decals, like bloodsplats on the ceilings, floors and walls, and marks on walls made from your weapons? Do you want to see things like bleeding (it would leave a trail of blood that you or an opponent could follow)? What about things like wounds (say you get below 45% health, you start to move a little slower, your accuaracy drops a little, and your strength starts to go down)?

I think that these things would probably be overlooked as eye candy or as things to help people cheat in DM, but I would like to see these things.

Question #9 : Should ID port Doom 3 over to the PS2 or the Xbox?

I don't think this would be good, they would have to tone down the engine and graphics a lot to get it to run, making it look shitty.

Question #10 : Should ID try and release Doom 3 on the 10 year anniversary of Doom if the product is done by that time?

I think this would be cool, but it would also give ID the feeling of a deadline.

BRAND SPANKING NEW QUESTIONS

Question #11 : What about water? Should it not only be swimable, but should water that is up to your chest slow you down? What about swimming and wading through other types of liquids, like acid and lava?

If the liquids could not only be swimmable, but slow you down, that would kinda be fun, but not when it is hurting you. ID should avoid situations where you HAVE to take damage.

Question #12 : In addition to harmful liquids, what about rooms that are filled with deadly gas or something?

I think this would be a new trap, which would be really cool.

Question #13 : What types of new traps would you like to see?

I want to see crushing walls, trap floors and Automated Defense Systems (they would also attack monsters)

Question #14 : If ID goes with the old keys, red, blue and yellow, should they add new colors, such as gold, silver and platinium? Should there be some keys that are level or mission specific?

I think ID should add some new colors, as well as level specific keys, like a locker key, but if they had level specific keys, most of the time, using them should be optional.

Question #15 : What items would you like to see back? What items would you like to see added? Should ID add inventory support to Doom 3?

PICKUPS

Health Potions
----------------
Heal you 1% up to 200%

Stimpacks
-----------
They give you a 10% health boost up to 100%.

Medical Kits
---------------
These babies are what you really need, the problem is some may be tampered with. They can give you anywhere from 17 to 25% health up to 100% health max.

Spiritual Armor
------------------
Gives you a 1% armor boost up to 200%.

Armor Shards
--------------
Gives you a 5% armor boost up to 150%

Guard Armor
-------------
Give you 50% protection.

Riot Armor
------------
Gives you 100% protection.

Heavy Duty Armor
------------------
Gives you 150% protection.

Land Warrior Combat Gear
Gives you 200% protection.

INVENTORY ITEMS

Field Surgeon's Pack
-----------------------
Contains 100% stored health. Whatever you don't use the first time gets saved.

Light Amplification Goggles
------------------------------
These things light up a dark room real good. Problem is, they suck batteries down fast.

Flashbang Grenades
---------------------
These blind enemies, but it can blind you. Turn away from the blast.

Gravity Reduction Boots
They can't make you fly but damn near it. You can jump really high with these things on.

Berserk Packs
----------------
Totally heal you, plus they give you a super adrenaline rush, letting you hit harder and run faster!

Biohazard Protection Suit
---------------------------
Not only does it protect you from harmful liquids, it protects you from gas and other harmful things that you don't want to breath in.

POWERUPS

Soulsphere
------------
Gives you 100% health boost. Say you have 50% health, it would give you 150% health.

Life Sphere
-------------
Automatically gives you 200% health. Looks like a Soulsphere but green in color.

Megasphere
-------------
Gives you 200% health and armor.

Partial Invisibility Sphere
-----------------------------
Makes it harder for enemies to get a bead on you

Stealth Sphere
-----------------
Makes you totally invisible and silent.

Wrath Sphere
--------------
Makes you immune to pain! YAY! Oh damnit! It makes everything all blurry and white, like you're looking through white water...

Wings of Sorrow
-----------------
NOW YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sidepack
----------
Lets you carry a little bit more ammo.

Backpack
-----------
Gives you some ammo and lets you carry more!

Automap Updater
-----------------
Gives you the map.

Scanner
---------
Lets you see the enemies on the Automap. It is better if you find an Automap Updater.

30 to 40 weapons? No, that's way too much, they might have 10 or so. Also there has never been an id game with alternate fire(I think)

Question #1: It's pretty much certain at this point that Doom III will see the return of some of the old monsters, and a bunch of new ones.

Question #3: More monsters. That's it.

Question #4: The standard 10 or so is enough. I'd like to see alt-fire, but only if it actually makes a difference. The shotgun could have an alt-fire that fires both barrels, things like that.

bigbadgansta said:
I think Doom 3 should have about 30-40 weapons, some with alternate attacks and second modes, and some weapons should reload...

First off, you are clearly an insane individual. Second, the weapons DO reload, as anyone who's seen the 11 minute video can confirm.

Flathead that was uncalled for, for one, I deleted the rest of the post and just highlighted what I was responding to, but I guess upon posting it displayed the whole thing anyways

Question #1 :
I basically want all those from the Ultimate Doom (I can survive without the spectre though)+chaingunner and Archvile - the chaingunner is there so I'm pleased about that. And I'd like to see new enemies too of course, though I'm not so interested in different "types" of the old enemies (like an imp throwing two fireballs - that'd seem somewhat cheap imo).

Question #2 :
Look above.

Question #3 :
I'm too Young to Die:Lots of weak enemies, lots of ammo, enemies don't inflict much pain.
Hey, Not too Rough: Same as ItYtD, except that ammo is a little more scarce (albeit still plentiful) and monsters inflict more damage.
Hurt me Plenty:Tougher enemies replace some of the weaker enemies in locations, where there was weaker types of enemies on easier difficulties (ex. Zombie lurking around a specific corner on easier difficulty levels is replaced by imp in HmP), not as much ammo as in H,NtR.
Ultra Violence:Basically same as HmP, except that the monster "replacements" are even tougher, ammo can at times be scarce (although not so much that you can't kill every monster in the levels).
NIGHTMARE: Basically same as UV, except that enemies inflict lots of pain compared to other skill levels (you can get killed if you're hit twice at point blank range by a shotgunner if you don't wear armour), zombies (and only zombies) are harder to kill so that they remain dead (might get up at least three times before they remain dead) - there is a little more ammo than in UV

Question #4 :
I dunno about number of weapons. 10 perhaps. Not too many - that will only leave a few weapons that you basically never use or at least don't get properly familar with.
Yes, weapons should reload for the most part (reload animations are cool!).
No, alternate fire doesn't belong in a Doom game imho, unless it works similar to alt fire in RtCW - NO... SECOND... FIRE... KEY!
I prefer Doom 3 to be as simple as possible, while still have cool elements (reloading) - alt fire is not interesting enough for me to sacrifice simplicity.

Alientank said:

Flathead that was uncalled for, for one, I deleted the rest of the post and just highlighted what I was responding to, but I guess upon posting it displayed the whole thing anyways

Okay, granted. But I'll keep it up as an example to the other members. That, and I'm just too damn lazy.

Fredrik said:

Offtopic: FlatHead: what's Project Mayhem?

A game I'm working on. And stop going trough my files, dammit.

A game I'm working on.

More info!

And stop going trough my files, dammit.

I can't help Doomworld having directory listing... :P

Fredrik said:

More info!

If you really want to hear me go on and on about my l33t programming skillz, my AIM nick is DasFlatHead. But don't expect much, I just started the real work on it last week.

Alientank said:

Also there has never been an id game with alternate fire(I think)

RtCW?
That is an id game (although it was developed BY Graymatter FOR id) with alt fire modes, but at least that game wasn't full of redundant/ridiculous modes and first and foremost: It had only ONE fire key.

Lord FlatHead said:

If you really want to hear me go on and on about my l33t programming skillz, my AIM nick is DasFlatHead. But don't expect much, I just started the real work on it last week.

AIM. Great.

1-All monsters should be back.
Pain elemental-if this bastard still create old-style lost soul(charge and attack),It should not ba made a return.Too damn annoying.
Arch-vile-will his resurrection ability be back or not?It`s about performace problem.
4 Old weapons with couple new ones.It is no need to exaggerate all gun with secondary fire.All weapons should be good with its own way.New futuristic weapon is welcome.I hope it will kick ass like i got plasma gun and BFG for first time.

Lord FlatHead said:

you are clearly an insane individual.

No, I belive that the more firepower, the more fun it is! ^_^

Second, the weapons DO reload, as anyone who's seen the 11 minute video can confirm.

Try downloading a 100 something mb file on a 56k...

[QUOTE]bigbadgangsta said:

Well, it might be fun in Single Player, but with all those weapons in Deathmatch, will it be balanced enough?

I know what that's like. Takes forever, and eventually your parrents and/or siblings come in, see you downloading something, tell you that "it's going to take up all the hard-drive space", and make you get off the Internet, thereby ruining any chance of seeing the hyper-l337 video everyone at Doomworld has been talking about as of late.
Quite frankly: 56k sucks. DSL or cable should be standard, dammit to hell.

I've got my own ideas for Doom 3, but I'm probably gonna save them for the massive Doom overhaul mod/port that I'm never gonna get started on, let alone done.

30-40 weapons!? How would you carry them all...? My old man was surprised at how much shit the Quake 2 marine could carry, and that game was light on weapons by today's standards (*COUGH*Opposing Force*COUGH*).

IMJack said:

30-40 weapons!? How would you carry them all...? My old man was surprised at how much shit the Quake 2 marine could carry, and that game was light on weapons by today's standards (*COUGH*Opposing Force*COUGH*).

It's a game - you're not supposed to think about "how the Hell the marine can carry all those guns" - it would even be impossible to carry all the weapons in Doom 1.

Funny, I believe that the more firepower, the less chance there is that the individual weapon is done properly. I prefer a limited amount of highly well-designed weapons instead of a host of poorely designed scrap weapons.

Nevertheless, we've all been talking this stuff over and over again and we've reached the conclusion that reloading should be a part of Doom 3's weapons as it would seem lame otherwise.

GS-1719 said:

30-40 weapons? Become another Daikatana? Nooooooooooooo

I rethought it over and realized that more than 15 weapons is WAY to much. 10-15 weapons is more than enough.

Fredrik said:

The temperature gun is an interesting concept though old.

I know, but I still thought it would add some extra flavor. I mean, if it is nothing but weapons that are real, it gets old...

The game should have 10 or so weapons, but upgrades for every weapon. You know, add-on accessories, perhaps Diablo-style. And no freaking alternate fire.

We know the game will have some old monsters, but what's the point when you won't even be able to see a resemblance... Look at the comparison between the old imp and the new in the video. That's just disheartening. Just because they're monsters, it doesn't mean they can't have a little color!

AndrewB said:

And no freaking alternate fire.

Yeah, they would be terrible, taking a step forward like everyone else. Doom 3 should[b] have alternate attacks for [b]SOME weapons, but not for every weapon. Upgrades for some weapons would be cool (look at my list). I'm thinking that weapon modes should be at least coded into the engine but not used, so that mod makers could use it.

The more key commands you have to worry about squeezing into your hand's easy-access zone, the less fun the game is. Imagine one day, every game has 80+ key functions which perform such actions as inhale, exhale, blink, flatulate, pick your nose and scratch your crotch. Two keyboards will be the standard.

This probably won't happen, but it demonstrates how too many key functions can be a BAD thing.

AndrewB said:

The more key commands you have to worry about squeezing into your hand's easy-access zone, the less fun the game is. Imagine one day, every game has 80+ key functions which perform such actions as inhale, exhale, blink, flatulate, pick your nose and scratch your crotch. Two keyboards will be the standard.

This probably won't happen, but it demonstrates how too many key functions can be a BAD thing.

OMG ANDREWB SAID CROTCH!!! Anyway, I guess I see your point, to many key functions would kinda suck. Here is how I lay out my keyboard for games :

Ctrl : shoot
X : alternate attack
Z : duck/fly down/swim down
A : jump/fly up/swim up
Shift : run
Alt : strafe
Spacebar : open
S : reload
C : taunt
D : zoom view

Pretty simple layout, though there are more keys I use than that.

RTCW has about as many key functions as I can handle. Any more and I would hate it. I would ideally enjoy about as many key functions as Hexen. Crouching should be automatic. It's not like it has any use besides entering small places.

AndrewB said:

RTCW has about as many key functions as I can handle. Any more and I would hate it. I would ideally enjoy about as many key functions as Hexen. Crouching should be automatic. It's not like it has any use besides entering small places.

Ducking under fireballs and other projectiles, getting low cover in a firefight, like you said, getting into small spaces, hiding and many other things dude. Ducking rules!

NOBODY ducks to avoid projectiles. NOBODY hides under tables to avoid enemies and NOBODY ducks for the purpose of getting low cover of any kind. IT NEVER HAPPENS.

AndrewB said:

Just because they're monsters, it doesn't mean they can't have a little color!

I've never understood people's problems with tans, browns, greys, black and deep reds. Colors are stupid. It's really hard to accomplish photorealism in 3D games with lots of tones in the scene.

Focusing in a few colors allows you to properly execute two things we like to call "composition" and "palette".

Personally, I don't want to see too many key hunts or similiar features.

As for weapons, I'd like to see the good old double-barrelled shotgun return, though updated somewhat to fit in with the timeframe. A Ion Cannon that fires bursts of energy that can bounce off walls (maybe two max to prevent spam), that can also charge up to fire a single straight burst as well.