Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimate Demon

DOOM3 on DVD or CD?

I think that DOOM3 will be on a DVD and not a CD. Why? Because DOOM3 graphics, sounds and other things will thake much space( maybe 1-3 GB Big ) so it wont fit on 2 CD but maybe a DVD instedd. But i think ID will use CD anyways

I think that DOOM3 will be on a DVD and not a CD.

But i think ID will use CD anyways

Make up your mind.

Well, DVD players aren't exactly the norm yet, even if they are becoming cheaper. I think it'll be on 2 CDs, depending on what kind of compression they use.

Maybe a few years down the track will more games be on DVDs,

Most people will have to upgrade to be able to play DooM III decentely, and they should get a DVD-ROM player when doing so. And DVD will be obsolete in a few years time. I was reading about a company that has sucessfully made an optical storage disc capable of hold around 100GB...though I might be wrong.

Five or six textures per material... More than thirty huge-ass levels... 10,000 sound files... Yeah I'd say id are going to cross the 700MB limit on this one.

They'll probably go for a 2 CD setup then. Or maybe a collectors edition DVD alongside that, with interviews and other goodies on it. That'd be cool.

Why wouldn't they just do this?

CD 1 - Installation of soundfiles, textures and models

CD 2 - Installation of levels and game files (would also need to be in drive to listen to the soundtrack and to play the game)

CD 3 - Contains beta screenshots, interviews, videos and other such nostalgia, as well as a booklet that has cool Doom artwork done by the guys at ID, like storyboards and concept art.

I think it'd be a stupid move to limit Doom 3 to DVDs.
Too many people don't even own a DVD drive (me included) and would be forced to spend more money on buying a DVD drive apart from the other upgrades.

dsm said:

I think it'd be a stupid move to limit Doom 3 to DVDs.
Too many people don't even own a DVD drive (me included) and would be forced to spend more money on buying a DVD drive apart from the other upgrades.

Yeah. ID wouldn't put Doom 3 on DVD only, because they wouldn't make as much money, because they would be limiting their market to people that have DVD drives. In my post, when I mentioned disc 3, it could just use some goofy thing Quicktime or Flash to let you select your options.

Livo said:

Well, DVD players aren't exactly the norm yet, even if they are becoming cheaper. I think it'll be on 2 CDs, depending on what kind of compression they use.

Maybe a few years down the track will more games be on DVDs,

its important to realize that if its comming out in end of 2003 DVD players will be dirt cheap and everyone will have them. hell theyre dirt cheap now. go forth and buy...

krazyrobman said:

its important to realize that if its comming out in end of 2003 DVD players will be dirt cheap and everyone will have them. hell theyre dirt cheap now. go forth and buy...

It could be right for systems sell in end of 2003. But much people will have system buy before, and they will not want upgrade for DVD player AND Graphic Card AND processor (if also require by Doom III) !

So i think too that ID will be wrong if they sell DOOM III on DVD only.

The DVD failed as a mainstream device. Dunno why...I guess we're all in love with CD-Rs...

The levels themselves should be smaller on average with respect to filesize since they contain no precalculated lighting or visibility info. The switch to skeletal animation reduces the size of the animated models on average. And if the music and sound is compressed into mp3's this time, there would more than enough room on one CD. Quake3 didn't even use up all the CD disc space. It still had over 150 MB of uncompressed space left, which amounts to roughly 300 MB or more of compressed space.

But you're talking about a 1999 game. SoF II, while using the same engine, barely fits in 2 CDs.

SoF II also uses Q3 tech. Which does not take advantage of lightmap-less levels.

Also, how many cinematics does SoF II have? Are they in-game? If not then they definately take more space than the parametricly compressed in-game cinematics in DOOM III. Also, what about sound in SoF II? Is it mp3 compressed? If not, then that ignores my initial statement.

Probably two or three CDs. That seems to be the standard anymore. One or two CDs of material to install on the hard drive, and one required to run the game. GTA3 does this well; the PC version actually loads the game faster with the two-CD setup than the PS2 version does with its DVD stock.

Hopefully, Doom 3 will be able to load and run quickly. A lot of the games I'm playing of late take forever to load the game.

Heh I remember the days when DOOM used to take a minute to start... (today it takes less time than it takes for the first screen to wipe).

IMJack said:

Hopefully, Doom 3 will be able to load and run quickly. A lot of the games I'm playing of late take forever to load the game.

Damn straight!
I find it annoying that it takes so long to load a map in RtCW - RtCW is easily the best FPS I've tried in a loong time, but I need to be mentally ready to wait for maps to load, before I feel like playing it.

I think Doom 3 should be only on DVD. The PC game industry is being held back by the adherance of gamers to a CD standard -- PS2 uses DVD, XBox uses DVD, and us with our computers are still limited to playing big-footprint games by a tedious installation process that harkens back to the bad old days of "insert diskette 5." The PC game world needs a AAA title that is ONLY available on DVD in order to spearhead the move to what by all rights should be a default format by now. I really hope that by the time Doom 3 comes out that a game has already set the precedent, but if not, I can think of few better titles to initiate the change.

Well, if DOOM3 comes on DVD, people WILL think it's a movie and not real-time interactive computer graphics... :P

Linguica said:

I really hope that by the time Doom 3 comes out that a game has already set the precedent, but if not, I can think of few better titles to initiate the change.

Counterstrike? The Sims? :)

Anyway, I don't really care about multiple CDs. I just copy the binary images to my HD and set up a couple of phantom cd drives.

as if i don't have enough to spend my money on? 72000 rpm HD, new mobo, RAM and CPU, GPU. Another $100 for a DVD-rom isn't too attractive, esp since i already have a DVD-player and can watch DVD movies anyway.

CD's are just fine. Prolly won't be more than two or three anyway. Baldur's gate had 5 cd's, didn't bother me at all.

Fuck swapping CDs. Reinstalling Diablo2 is about the worst situation ever. Here's the installation process for D2 + LOD (AND NO I'M NOT KIDDING)

1. Insert install CD.
  2. Start Installation Process from autorun.
  3. Enter D2 CD key.
  4. Remove Install CD.
  5. Insert Play CD.
  6. Wait 10 minutes.
  7. Remove Play CD.
  8. Insert Cinematics CD.
  9. Wait 15 minutes.
  10. Remove Cinematics CD.
  11. Insert Install CD.
  12. Wait 10 minutes.
  13. Remove Install CD.
  14. Start video detection subroutine. (Hint: Wait 5 minutes)
  15. Insert LOD CD.
  16. Start Installation process from autorun.
  17. Enter CD Key.
  18. Remove LOD CD.
  19. Insert D2 Play CD.
  20. Wait 10 minutes.
  21. Remove D2 Play CD.
  22. Insert LOD CD.
  23. Wait 10 minutes.
  24. The End! (Well, not quite)
  25. Double click Autorun from LOD CD.
  26. Click Upgrade to Full installation.
  27. Wait 10 minutes.
  28. ... Done.

Your very own 2GB installation of D2+LOD. The most bullshit installation sequence I have ever had the misfortune to see.

Katarhyne said:

Doom 3 will be on one CD. Promise.

I think that's pretty much ruled out by the fact that Doom III is likely going to contain many times more art, sounds and other data than Quake 3 or any other one-CD game. They already had some issues getting Q3 on a single CD - that's the only reason why Carmack added .JPG support to the Q3 engine so late into the project.

I agree with Kat. Sounds weird to me if they couldn't fit the game within 700MB. Data being compressed, I guess.

Shut up and start talking again when you know what you're talking about, Flathead. Q3A fits on a CD quite easily, for one - and for two, Doom 3 has the capacity to compress the gamedata much more efficiently. Besides which - I don't see where all of these MORONS get off on saying that the game has so much more content; higher quality content, perhaps, but 1) see above, 2) higher-quality content does not necessarily facilitate the need for more space usage.

Doom 3 will be on one CD.

EDIT: Alright, after a bit of lengthy discussion with a few friends on Gamesnet, I could see a second CD for cinematics and music. But I still doubt it. :P