Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pirx

Applying dynamic lights to flats

because i found this post while browsing the "post your doom picture" thread:

Eris Falling said:

It's a shame dynamic lights can't be applied to wall textures like they can with flats. Looks good though.

so, as i didn't want to derail that thread:

is there any port that can apply dynamic lights to flats, and what would be required?

thanks

I'm not sure what Eris meant. AFAIK, ports with dynamic lights (Doomsday, GZDoom, Risen3D, Vavoom, etc.) apply the lighting to everything; flats, walls, and sprites.

As in GLDEFs applied to flats, such as this
This effect can't be applied to walls, and my post there was commenting on the picture above it, which could've benefited a lot from such a feature.

As Gez already stated, dynamic lights will illuminate anything, flats, textures, things, etc.

The glow effect can be done,
for flats, with GLDEFS's 'Glowing flats'
for textures, with GLDEFS's Brightmaps.

Doomsday and Risen3D are the only ports that allow you to attach dynamic lights (a.k.a light decorations) directly to textures or flats.

Glowing and full bright flats and textures are a different thing that are as mentioned possible in several ports.

Kappes Buur said:

The glow effect can be done,
for flats, with GLDEFS's 'Glowing flats'
for textures, with GLDEFS's Brightmaps.

Kind of. Parts of a texture* can be made brighter than others using a brightmap (or, indeed, the whole thing can be made brighter) but the glow effect for flats* can also be set up to extend a coloured glow into the game space in a similar way to how it might appear if there was a dynamic light object sitting on the flat*. I think the shot that Eris Falling linked to shows this (the red glow extending down from the ceiling). If you want that kind of effect from a texture*, then a strategically placed dynamic light object is probably the way to go (possibly in addition to a brightmap).

*It's worth pointing out that although I have talked about textures and flats, ZDoom can use any graphic on any surface. It is possible to define a texture to glow and use it on a floor/ceiling to get the glow effect. However, neither a flat nor a texture will show a glow effect if used on a wall. Equally, both flats and textures can be set up to use brightmaps and these will work wherever the graphic is placed (wall or floor/ceiling) but, as I said, the brightmap will only affect the brightness of the texture/flat image and will not show any "glowing and illuminating other stuff" effect.

From memory, both brightmaps and glowing flats use shader effects. If that is the case, then you can probably only set up a flat to either glow or have a brightmap but not both because GZDoom can only have one shader per surface.

Enjay said:

From memory, both brightmaps and glowing flats use shader effects. If that is the case, then you can probably only set up a flat to either glow or have a brightmap but not both because GZDoom can only have one shader per surface.

No, that's not correct.

First, a glowing flat just emits a glow which illuminates other surfaces, and second, the glow is not a texturing effect but a lighting effect which is done in an entirely different place of the shader.