Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Da Werecat said:

There's nothing to resurrect.

Really? I Thought there were a few imps at the end, although its been a while since a played through Plutonia.

Shadow Hog said:

Clearly somebody needs to make a mod that allows Arch-viles to be resurrected.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/resur.zip

Approximately one-hour work I just did. Vanilla compatible DEHACKED mod. Archviles can now resurrect:

• Lost Souls
  • Pain Elementals
  • other Archviles
  • Cyberdemons
  • Masterminds
  • Commander Keens ;)
You need to run the wad file, not just the .deh, because of an added "invisible" sprite in the wad, required to preserve Lost Soul and PE corpses as invisible.

I wrote in the textfile that the mod is compatible with both Doom 1 and 2, but of course, archies are in D2 only. :)

scifista42 said:

http://filesmelt.com/dl/resur.zip

Approximately one-hour work I just did. Vanilla compatible DEHACKED mod. Archviles can now resurrect:

• Lost Souls
  • Pain Elementals
  • other Archviles
  • Cyberdemons
  • Masterminds
  • Commander Keens ;)
You need to run the wad file, not just the .deh, because of an added "invisible" sprite in the wad, required to preserve Lost Soul and PE corpses as invisible.

I wrote in the textfile that the mod is compatible with both Doom 1 and 2, but of course, archies are in D2 only. :)

Jeez, resurrecting Pain Elementals and lost souls sounds crazy to me.

very nice! but the commander keen death/resurrection animation seems messed up somehow when he dies/gets revived.

I was being facetious, but I must admit this makes Hunted a heckuva lot more challenging. Have to prevent groups of Arch-viles from forming, or else they'll rapidly exhaust your shotgun shell supply as they revive one another over and over and over...

Although I've beaten the maps individually, I've never done a complete run of Doom 2 from start to finish. I just get too bored. I've done Doom 1 several times over.

I absolutely can't stand D_RUNNIN (overkill after hearing it too many times, I guess.)
I also enjoy terrywads for some bizarre reason.

vdgg said:

This is awesome, scifista42!

Thanks for the acclaim. :)

Hurricyclone said:

very nice! but the commander keen death/resurrection animation seems messed up somehow when he dies/gets revived.

Yes, as I've written in the text file, I needed to steal some states in order to make the resurrection work, vanilla just works this way. Keen's death had to be cut of a fluid animation, but the timing of his scream and of triggering his post-death special remained the exact same. His resurrection is also just a cheap return to his standard idle state. All other monsters got better treatment with their animation, I assure you.

On the archvile note: Would be cool if there were a super archvile monster which resurrects the normal archies.

I think I may check out that mod - sounds quite insane.

Patch93 said:

I prefer DTWID's take on Inferno over the original maps by Sandy Peterson. Especially E3M4 and E3M5, so much better than the originals.

I really like DTWID. There wasn't a level that I didn't like, but the most memorable for me have to be from the second episode...Rec Facility and Mental Ward stand out the best for me. Both are very moody and atmospheric levels which put me on edge. The team did a really good job!

When I see a STARTAN texture in someone's level, I think the person forgot to or hasn't changed the texture yet, even if STARTAN's the final texture.

Xane123 said:

When I see a STARTAN texture in someone's level, I think the person forgot to or hasn't changed the texture yet, even if STARTAN's the final texture.

especially those square wood panel ceilings!

Same here, Doom Builder pretty much ruined that texture for me lol. It doesn't look good anywhere now and always screams ugly.

Xane123 said:

I blame Doom Builder 1 & 2 actually having default textures and the years of endless Startan2 Corridor Simulators we've had to endure.

Memfis said:

Same here, Doom Builder pretty much ruined that texture for me lol. It doesn't look good anywhere now and always screams ugly.

I'm sure there's some proper use for it, I just can't figure out what it is...

This post looks bad!

@40oz: I forgot about the other default textures; I haven't seen the default ceiling/floor textures in a picture recently, but I bet they'd give me the same reaction about unchanged textures!

@Memfis, @Linkrulezall (first quote): Doom Builder really shouldn't have "default textures"; It looks like the editor's encouraging brown base levels!

@Linkrulezall (second quote): I don't know; For some reason, Doom's E1M1/E1M2/whatever other levels that have STARTAN in them don't give me that 'unchanged' feeling though that might be just because they're the original levels.

I actually really, really like Running from Evil. The intro and breakdown always seem to somehow sync with gameplay for me.

GRAY4 gives me the unfinished texturing look... I think it was the default in DEU. Can't remember what were the default flats...

But I don't really care, I'll just use whatever textures fit.

Linkrulezall said:

I blame Doom Builder 1 & 2 actually having default textures and the years of endless Startan2 Corridor Simulators we've had to endure.

It didn't really start there.

Jimi is right about DEU; it's GRAY4 in DEU 5.2.1's source. However, anyone who edits deu.ini will find the commented-out line making it BROWNHUG, so if they uncomment that but don't edit it, you get BROWNHUG.

DETH 4.2.4 uses STARTAN3 in the source, but deth.ini has it as BRICK7, with the line already uncommented. I think earlier versions of DETH were where "STARTAN syndrome" started (and yes, I was editing Doom levels at the time).

The Doom monsters sometimes still scare the crap out of me, especially revenants, archvilles, and cyberdemons.

I can't make it through TNT on Ultra-violence without cheating.

I can't make it through Plutonia on any difficulty without cheating, period.

I sort of like the Doom novels. Well, the first two, at least.

I don't particularly like Doom 3. I think it somehow feels generic and lifeless compared to the original game.

Whenever it takes more than one shotgun shell to kill an imp, I always get this strange, unfulfilled, empty feeling. This extends to watching demos and LPs where the person who recorded the demo/LP uses the super shotgun to kill single imps.

Lost Souls have probably killed me more then any other Demon. I hate those fuckers.

when given the chance to berserk fist or chainsaw a pain elemental or a cacodemon, I always use the chainsaw. I don't have much reason why, it just seems more natural and effective to use the chainsaw, even though I'm quite good at punching cacos and PE's by now.

William Blazkowicz said:

I actually like Dr.Betruger...

"You will never escape!"

"You may have escaped, but your soul will burn in hell forever"

(Marine later escapes again)

finnw said:

Me too. I think it's just because that was the first version I played though. And maybe partly because of my "metal-phobia" from embarrassment over having being a metalhead in my early teens. I still play Doom II with music from the PSX version.

There is one exception - I always liked D_MESSAG.

I love heavy metal, in particular black metal...however I agree that the midi soundtrack of the original Doom isn't too hot.

The ambient sounds of the PSX port fit the game much better I think...that and I think most midi sounds terrible anyway, regardless of genre it is trying to imitate.

The only enemy that still gives me shivers is the Baron...I don't know why..he doesn't look or act that terrifying at all...his scream is a little imposing but other than that I have no reason to fear him, but I do a little. The Knight though...no problems....still don't like him, but I still quite like Mr Baron.

I have never heard much of the Doom 64 soundtrack as I have never played it. People should say I should because if I like the PSX soundtrack I'll like 64's too....but I just haven't mustered any effort to play it.

I don't like ants, I am terrified of ants. I am glad they don't exist in Doom, if they did that would make the game much more imposing for me....when I was little, my bigger brother lied and said one of the enemies was an ant, and that he wouldn't tell me where he is in the game. I played the game even so, but no ants....I was scared of a non existent enemy.

Despite the chainsaw being a good weapon against a few enemies, I hardly ever use it....I've seen people tear through Demons, Imps, Elementals, even the odd Knight and Baron but I have just never tried it out much....however, I always pick one up when I see it.

I never did think the UAC base looked much like a base....as in all the rooms always felt empty and just there. Made sense in the later hell levels but the lack of furniture, features and effort to make the rooms look like they serve a purpose....the base felt rather odd.

I always wondered why that if the humans were possessed, howcome they didn't code any lost souls to come out of them when they die? Maybe limitations, or they didn't think of it, or chose against it....but I always wanted it to happen. Not all the time like, just a small percentage for it to happen. You can assume that when it doesn't happen, the lost soul got destroyed when you killed the guy...perhaps that what happens anyway.

The grey mountain sky is my favourite sky texture.

Not a whole lot there, but some things.