Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linkrulezall

People who torrent 40 movies a night

I seriously don't get why people do this. I don't mean just torrenting in general, I can understand the logic behind that. But just downloading 40 movies a night? Seriously? It's not like you're EVER gonna watch all those, and with those strains on your bandwidth you're just asking to get busted. Can anyone explain to me why anyone would think doing this is a good idea?

Hoarding ;-)

Eventually, one finds time to watch them, e.g. during a vacation week, or even daily, with scheduling. E.g. I watched 6 "Married with Children" episodes DAILY while posted in the Army :-p

I think the "logic" is kind of like this: you see something potentially interesting, so you don't want to just close the window and forget about it because it will feel a bit like a loss, if that makes any sense to you. So you just have to download it or else you will feel somewhat empty.

I don't have enough space to download every anime I want, so if I see an interesting one and my HD is already almost full, I just add it to my "Plan to Watch" list on myanimelist.net. For me it's kind of like that thing Dumbledore was using to store his memories: since I can't download this right now, I'll just add it to my list, which means that I'll be able to forget about it for now without feeling empty.

I cant believe people would do that! Torrenting 39 Movies a night is totally fine, but Torrenting 40 movies a night is just EVIL!

PS: Torrenting 41 movies is also totally acceptable, but certainly not 40!

I still have several hundred unwatched movies from the uni days. Been going through them at a rate of about 1 a year.

Technician said:

So how much is the MPAA paying you?

2 dollars and a couple of Dave & Buster's coupons.

Ralphis said:

Everybody knows that 28 per night is the sweet spot

Finally! Someone who gets it!

Belial said:

I still have several hundred unwatched movies from the uni days. Been going through them at a rate of about 1 a year.

And they gradually grow outdated as higher resolution and better encoding becomes the norm for rips. You should redownload them all, preferably 40 every night, so they can waste more of your space in glorious 1080p.

With 6 episodes of Star Wars on 1 DVD, and 10 Star Trek films on another DVD, and all of the Sailor Moon anime on 5 other DVDs, I am living in bliss!

dew said:

And they gradually grow outdated as higher resolution and better encoding becomes the norm for rips. You should redownload them all, preferably 40 every night, so they can waste more of your space in glorious 1080p.

Why the hell should I care about higher resolutions or any of that shit? Unless my eyes mutate and evolve I don't see the point of upgrading my quality of downloaded movies. :p I'll keep enjoying the same encodings with the same unmutated eyes, thank you very much.

You shouldn't, I'm not sure he was talking to you :V

Linkrulezall said:

Can anyone explain to me why anyone would think doing this is a good idea?

Might be part of their preparations for the apocalypse, which makes sense. With all the video stores destroyed and mutants stalking the streets, what else are you going to do in your bunker while waiting for civilization to rise from the ashes and restore your Internet connection?

Evil Pirate! Go buy VHSs at 3 for a buck at the thrift store, rip them, and resell them on burned DVDs like a respectful business man.

There are people for whom the means justify the end, to turn a phrase. It's not about the movies themselves, it's about the concept. There are some people who'd torrent a movie they'd never watch even if it was the only movie they ever had, simply on the basis that it is available to torrent.

Clonehunter said:

Evil Pirate! Go buy VHSs at 3 for a buck at the thrift store, rip them, and resell them on burned DVDs like a respectful business man.

You're stuck in the past, you 20th century pirate. We all torrent our movies to burn to DVD-Rs and sell to people who don't know how to work a torrent client in today's society. If you want higher gains, you've gotta update your standards.

Eh people do what they want. 40 movies in a night might just mean they don't download for a week or month.

I know people that have done this, also with music too. The idea is that you can assemble a large library from which to choose things at a later time. So when you feel like watching a movie, you don't have to wait for it to download, you just look through all the things you've acquired and pick one that looks good. Disk space is cheap, and bandwidth can be too.

40 movies... A NIGHT?
It takes me a whole afternoon to get just one!
Man, my bandwidth sucks, cheap though.

188DarkRevived said:

With 6 episodes of Star Wars on 1 DVD

Better not be the awful butchered retconned and color-degraded versions, concerning the original trilogy.

Also, Machete Order is better than watching them 1-6. If you don't know what that is, it's 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Leaving out 1 because it adds nothing substantial, and 2+3 works better as a flashback after Luke ponders how his father got to that point.

I now propose the Sodaholic Order: 4, Holiday Special, 5, 6. The prequels are lame in any case, and the holiday special is one of those "so bad it's good" things in my opinion.

Sodaholic said:

Better not be the awful butchered retconned and color-degraded versions, concerning the original trilogy.

Also, Machete Order is better than watching them 1-6. If you don't know what that is, it's 4, 5, 2, 3, 6. Leaving out 1 because it adds nothing substantial, and 2+3 works better as a flashback after Luke ponders how his father got to that point.

I now propose the Sodaholic Order: 4, Holiday Special, 5, 6. The prequels are lame in any case, and the holiday special is one of those "so bad it's good" things in my opinion.

As someone who relates more to the life of Anakin rather than the life of Luke, I actually prefer episodes 2, 3, 5, and 6 the most.

And then I also prefer seasons 4 and 5 of The Clone Wars, but I actually bought those at HMV rather than torrenting them.

Ahsoka is so much better than Padme, dammit. If I were in Anakin's situation then I'd ditch Padme and leave the Jedi temple together with Ahsoka at the end of season 5. Seriously.

Linkrulezall said:

pffft ahahahaha

Maybe the Internet will stay on in your corner of the world when all else has gone to shit. I can guarantee that down here, come the apocalypse, people will be queuing for everything - including video rentals. :P

GreyGhost said:

Maybe the Internet will stay on in your corner of the world when all else has gone to shit. I can guarantee that down here, come the apocalypse, people will be queuing for everything - including video rentals. :P

That is, if they haven't been run out of business by lazy people streaming everything right to their houses when the apocalypse rolls around. Believe me, I miss the days when I had a video store not 100 yards from my house. Or in my town at all, for that matter.

dew said:

Yeah, YIFY beats the shit out of aXXo.

It's borrowing. You receive it, and at the same time you're returning it.

My gf torrents a bunch or she used to before she switched to Xfinity or comcast. I forget which. Now they keep tabs and send her emails that she needs to stop. My friend had her service shut off for not heeding 1 warning let alone the 20 my gf received.

Now she found a site that's like Youtube, but for full movies and cams. Xfinity doesn't seem to care about that even if a viewing technically downloads to your computer.