Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xnv

Yet another first time map

Check this post, not the topicstarting one: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1253704

Warning: this post might contain very poor english. You've been warned.

First of all I want to say hello to all doomers here.

Here is my first wad attempt that I decided to show to some public.
It's not finished and it's very short (only about five minutes of playtime) because I don't know if there is any reason to continue it in case I am horrible mapper.
Quick testing showed that there is no any glitches except misaligned textures on some stair-like structures (you'll see).
Also, this is my first work with UDMF map format which is pretty cool but wad size is too big.
And yes, I took those chairs from awesome Barista (http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=12885) wad.
So give it a quick look and say I should never open Doom Builder again or tell me what I should improve.
Oh, did I mention that it's designed for ZDoom?

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1mu6mxyf71y2jfd

I like this, you are not a horrible mapper. I like how you made the flesh waggle, that was nice. I think you should make another map but thats my opinion.

Good first map, I liked the chaingun secret, heheh. Only thing I'd suggest is having more light variation in the base area. It gets a bit monotonous, though it is broken up by flesh later.

xnv said:

It's not finished and it's very short (only about five minutes of playtime) because I don't know if there is any reason to continue it in case I am horrible mapper.

haven't even played it yet, but if you want yourself to get somewhere, to really get somewhere with mapping (which i'm sure you do), then you can't ever, ever have this attitude. i know how easy it is to be like that, but don't. you'd be doing everyone a favor by being more optimistic.

The opposite attitude is even worse.

In the past I've made some really strange, weird, unothodox puzzle maps, but still well-constructed, and I got responses like "The worst wad ever" and "Annoying garbage". Like that's good for your moral...

Thank you for all your posts.

I know that base area is all monotonous thanks to empty spaces ang lack of colours but I just couldn't come up how could I fill it.
Flesh was supposed to be rather pulsating then waggling but again I didn't knew how to make it look good so I decided to use easiest solution.

xnv said:

Flesh was supposed to be rather pulsating then waggling but again I didn't knew how to make it look good so I decided to use easiest solution.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/ANIMDEFS

You could make a ANIMDEFS lump in your wad then read about the "warp texture|flat" to make it look like moving flesh.

Hello, folks. I've made my second wad and it's kinda short (~15 minutes long) and messy. It requires CC4 textures and I've only tested it in GZDoom (so it might be buggy in ZDoom).

http://rghost.ru/53547223

doomguy93 said:

I tested it out, and it made my source port crash. I was using zandronum.

Oh god, it really does crash. Never crashed in GZDoom though.

xnv said:

Oh god, it really does crash. Never crashed in GZDoom though.

I'm not sure why it does that to be honest.

Hi, I got as far as the archvile in the hellish area and then I got stuck, not sure what I'm supposed to do after that. If killing the AV was supposed to make something happen, I can't tell what. I tried with both a recent GZDoom devbuild and ZDoom 2.7.1.

It was decent until that point though I didn't like dying to the force field, seemed a bit harsh/unnecessary.

doomguy93 said:

I tested it out, and it made my source port crash. I was using zandronum.

You did load it with cc4 textures, right?

The first time I ran this, I forgot to load the textures. Zandronum seemed to hang at startup but it was really trying to print out all the missing textures.

plums said:

Hi, I got as far as the archvile in the hellish area and then I got stuck, not sure what I'm supposed to do after that. If killing the AV was supposed to make something happen, I can't tell what. I tried with both a recent GZDoom devbuild and ZDoom 2.7.1.

It was decent until that point though I didn't like dying to the force field, seemed a bit harsh/unnecessary.

Pain Elementals/Cacos should spawn depending on difficulty. I've enccountered it before but thought it was caused by cheating that somehow broke scripts. Apparently, it's caused by something else, but I can't figure out what.

Spawn can be forced by "puke 5" in cosole.

I like how the map transforms back into a base when all the monsters in the hell arena are killed. That was cool.
Also, Archvile+Revenant is a terrifyingly annoying combination.

Aha, figured it out I think. Your Map Spots aren't marked for all skill levels, so on UV there's no spots for the PEs to spawn to.

I did puke 6 to lower the Megasphere, and yeah that's an awesome and sudden change into a base again.