Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Buddy list: how does it work?

OK, been here almost 8 years, and I still haven't figured out how the "Buddy list" feature works, in particular because mine contains about 20 people, but I never added any of them myself. Exchanging regular PMs isn't a criterion, as most of the people I have (or had) extensive PM exchanges with are not on the list. In addition, there are quite a few people which I'd never add there myself (heh)

So, exactly how do get people "auto-added" to a buddy list? I have a slight suspicion that blacklisting/ignoring someone also makes you appear as "buddies" as a side effect....

I always figured I added them by accident, because it's roughly in the part of the screen where my cursor rests and I'm a twitchy wreck of a man.

EDIT: added you to my buddy list because butts

Sometimes I add people by mistake. Always assumed it would notify them, and thus felt bad when I unbuddied them. Sorry Mechadon (one of the dudes I found randomly in the buddy section) :p

Its only use for me is the "send PM to buddies" feature, which gets a lot of use now that I'm swapping concept ideas with Revilution team members a lot

Been wondering about this too. I have two mysterious friends and at least one member once asked me "what are you doing in my friend list? :)". I guess it can happen by accident but shouldn't you usually notice that?

Theres an Add Buddy button on every post, so I imagine theres been a few accidental clicks. Pretty sure thats how I added Mechadon years ago.

Here's my buddy list:

Grain of Salt
Olympus
A.Gamma
The Mionic Donut
Snakes
Death Egg
Malinku
Mrthejoshmon
Megalyth
Axdoom
Retog
Schwerpunk
Phml

The first 7 were on purpose for sending group PMs during Progressive Fiction. The others are probably mistakes but it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Maes said:

I still haven't figured out how the "Buddy list" feature works, in particular because mine contains about 20 people, but I never added any of them myself. . .
. . . In addition, there are quite a few people which I'd never add there myself (heh)

I can only assume you have several no-longer-secret admirers in the forums.

From the user profile page you can see who's currently logged in to doomworld. I don't know how that's helpful. There is however, a one click feature that lets you send a private message to all the bodies on your list at once. So I suppose that could come on handy if you were a project manager for a secret thing you haven't announced yet. You would need to unfriend everyone who's not involved though. I haven't actually made any use of it yet

gggmork
Katamori
Marnetmar
Violator

I don't remember adding any of these guys. The guy I actually remember adding is no longer a member of this lit.

The list is a bit useless here. I guess it's there in order to quickly find people you like talking to.

Mine just has Maes and Mystic. Mystic probably added me many years ago when he could sometimes be found around here; we used to hang out a lot online. Maes was probably a missed click by one of us.

Aliotroph? said:

Maes was probably a missed click by one of us.

The big question is - are you one of the people Maes would prefer NOT to see on his Buddy list? ;)

After the horror of trying to navigate this forum on a touch screen phone, I managed this:

All of them were accidentally added because touch screens suck.

I am appalled that I was not accidentally added. I thought we were tight acquaintances who never spoke to each other.

I have empty buddy list, tried to look at it from bottom, right and left side, even to turn it around. People could not possibly dislike me, right?

I've always wondered what the buddy list was for. All I'm getting from this, is that it makes it much easier to send group PMs. Nothing else?

darkreaver said:

Apparently I have zero buddies :(

Same here. It's empty as can be.

So, if someone adds you as a buddy they don't appear on your buddy list I guess, since Mrthejoshmon is on mine but I'm not on his.

That's odd, I assumed the forum software would add a reciprocal link to your new best friend's Buddy list.

i don't have anyone, and I'm actually okay with that. although I do wonder if anyone added me (by mistake perhaps?)

mrthejoshmon said:

the horror of trying to navigate this forum on a touch screen phone

Tablet in my case. my fingers are too big sometimes and I hit the wrong link sometimes.

I think that the buddy list it's a little useless, but if you have a good friend on the forum and want to know if he/she's online or not it's good, but you can always see the who's online in the doomworld forums.

Anyway here's mine:

I added the first 2 guys the first days i registered here, but the last one... i don't remember adding him.

Ledillman said:

I think that the buddy list it's a little useless, but if you have a good friend on the forum and want to know if he/she's online or not it's good, but you can always see the who's online in the doomworld forums.

that reminds me. does anyone use referrals here? I wanted to refer a close friend of mine to this forum but unfortunately lost contact with him soon after.

In my case, I have 3:

Grazza - I added him because he helped me a lot when I started posting here, and despite some idiotic/pointless/annoying PMs I sent him, he always answered politely.

Avoozl
Megalyth

By mistake. Actually, I think Avoozl is a pretty cool guy. I can't remember anything relevant about Megalyth, though.

But in any case, I don't see the point in adding more or removing those three (unless they request me to, of course), so you are there to stay :)

Hurricyclone said:

that reminds me. does anyone use referrals here?

How are those even supposed to work?