Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

A question for Half-life mappers

So I decided to get into making maps for the original Half-life. Perhaps a bit late some might say, bit I still think there are plenty of people who play them considering the popularity of half-life.

Anyways, there is a slight problem I was wondering if any of you can help me fix. As anybody who has played the original half-life knows, monsters often teleport in front of the player not that differently from how monsters in Doom do. I am trying to re-create the effect in hammer, but don't know how to. Does anybody here know how to make monsters teleport/spawn in front of the player with the teleport visual effect and all?

This is not going to be an easy task if you're new to Half-Life mapping. Valve never created a singular "effect" for when monsters teleport in and that means -- you guessed it -- you get to build it manually every single time you want to use it.

You're going to need knowledge of at least five or six entities to get it to work.

Essentials:
env_beam
monster_maker
ambient_generic
trigger_relay
light (You'll need a dynamic light of some kind.)
multi_manager (You _really_ need to know how to use this entity!)

Optional, but you're likely to need or encounter them:
info_null (This can be used instead of an info_target, the engine really doesn't care last time I checked.)
info_target

Lastly, you'll need some way of starting the effect:
trigger_once

Edit: By the way, you might want to get BSP Viewer to view how Valve put their maps together. You'll also need either PAK Scape -- if you're an old fuddy duddy like me -- or GCF Scape if you bought Half-Life on Steam, in order to get into Half-Life's package file.

BlueFeena said:

This is not going to be an easy task if you're new to Half-Life mapping.

I am new to half-life mapping, but I am not new to Quake engine mapping, having made maps for both Quake and Doom 3. Its actually kind of amazing how similar these engines are after all this time.

Anyways, do you know about any sites similar to Doomworld but for half-life 1 where people share their maps?