Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MegaTurtleRex

Favourite FPS of the last generation?

TheCupboard said:

Yeah that was my favorite FPS for the PS3. You actually had (sort of) non-regenerating health and you carried around a fuck ton of different guns for all sorts of situations. I bought the sequel but it was mostly a disappointment. I didn't have the heart to shell out cash for the third game. I heard it was better than #2.

The second one was such a letdown that I took it back to the store the next day for a refund. It didn't have the same feel or spirit as the first one for some reason. Someday I'll get around to trying #3, because yeah, I've heard it's better.

TheCupboard also said:

I think I rented RAGE but lord that was boring from the get-go. I turned it off after the completing the first act. My roommate made it to act three or something.

Same here, too. I hated RAGE, and felt severely disappointed with the way it turned out.

Doominator2 said:

Wasn't that 2004?
Anyways for me it would have to be Metroid Prime 3.

Yeah I have HL2 for XB1.

I played a lot of Metroid Prime Trilogy (okay the first one might not count) and a LOT of Borderlands 2.

Single Player:
Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl
Fallout:New Vegas
Bioshock
Condemned
Deus Ex:Human Revolution

Multiplayer:
Counter Strike:Global Offensive
Chivalry:Medieval Warfare
Left 4 Dead 2
Call of Duty 4
Natural Selection 2

These are games i usually keep coming back too and get the most out of.

Antroid said:

I do like arcade shooters and I like the tenser ones like D3, but as for what Doom should be like, I am a firm believer that Doom should be much more like Doom 3 than Serious Sam. If Doom 3 was like SS, or like Painkiller, I would've hated it soooo much.

this one horde after another coming screaming at you? yup it gets tiring after a while.

Pirx said:

this one horde after another coming screaming at you? yup it gets tiring after a while.

Only if done badly (Painkiller) - SS3 has a lot of variety in how enemies come at you. Apart from the incredibly intense last level it's never just horde after horde from one direction that just doesn't end and gets tedious, and in the last level it feels quite overwhelming and impossible and yet you still pull through. I thought they hit a great balance with how the battles were set up in that. But I think that killing hordes of enemies while having an over-abundance of ammo and being a badass spouting one-liners just doesn't fit Doom, the original games were never about that sort of gameplay and it irritates me deeply when someone looks at SS and says that it continues the traditions of doom, because NO IT BLOODY DOESN'T!

Oh so many games mentioned :O

yukib1t said:Same here, too. I hated RAGE, and felt severely disappointed with the way it turned out. [/B]

It's weird but I absolutely hated RAGE on my first playthrough, then went through it again and really liked it. Only game this has ever happened for me.

The questing, NPCs etc. are very annoying (in my opinion) and I was really hoping for a non health-regen hallway-fest. With that said, it did do a lot right in comparison to other console shooters: you can open every door yourself (no need to wait for any NPC to stop talking and open it for you), there are no intrusive scripted sequences (story and gameplay are kept separated), smooth movements (no stinking cover mechanic), 60 fps, and finally some really pretty art went into it.

Bucket said:

I got a lot of mileage out of Left 4 Dead - probably a few hundred hours. TF2 was my favorite before all the nonsense with loadouts and hats. I've really been getting into STALKER and it's quickly becoming my favorite... all I need is the time to play it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was amazing with the Redux mod, 4mb and it changed the entire game. I had to spend a bit of time editing the mod first though since the player could starve to death in a day. Otherwise it was brutal, enemies would die from blood loss due to wounds, all anomalies were invisible, resources were scarce... :O

Antroid said:

I'll throw more rocks at you for BI than for DNF. I freaking hated BI and was only apathetic towards DNF.

I'm not a huge fan of the Bioshock games either. The first has an amazing setting but the gameplay is very tedious for me. I got Bioshock Infinite for free as part of PSPlus but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. When I get around to playing it I'll probably run it through on easy just so enemies have small health bars. I... hate spongy enemies!

Antroid said:

Only if done badly (Painkiller) - SS3 has a lot of variety in how enemies come at you. Apart from the incredibly intense last level it's never just horde after horde from one direction that just doesn't end and gets tedious, and in the last level it feels quite overwhelming and impossible and yet you still pull through. I thought they hit a great balance with how the battles were set up in that. But I think that killing hordes of enemies while having an over-abundance of ammo and being a badass spouting one-liners just doesn't fit Doom, the original games were never about that sort of gameplay and it irritates me deeply when someone looks at SS and says that it continues the traditions of doom, because NO IT BLOODY DOESN'T!

I actually really liked Painkiller, it's a very weird game. The amount of changes in themes and enemy sets was really strange. The horde games I can only play in short bursts, though Serious Sam spent a long time in my original Xbox. Shadow Warrior 2013 is another horde\arena style fps, I like it a lot but it doesn't feel like a Shadow Warrior game.

Also I've still got to finish Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's pretty cool but didn't capture me like the original did when I was little. Dishonoured and Thief 2014 are in by backlog too :\

I happen to own a lot of arena shooters in my steam library which I bought on various steam sales, but never really got around to checking them.

Recently I decided to give most of them a go. "Painkiller: Black Edition" was AWESOME. One of the better games I have played, but unfortunately later installments were A LOT worse, with "Painkiller: Resurrection" being probably the worst FPS I have played in my life. I hate PK: Resurrection as much as I like Rage (which I consider the best game ever). I only have one Painkiller game left - the newest one ("Hell & Damnation"), but I'm saving it for later, because I want my negative bias to wear off. I still consider "Painkiller: Black Editon" a very good game though, just stay away from its sequels.

Regarding the "Serious Sam" series, thus far I have completed "Serious Sam Classic: The First Encounter", "Serious Sam Classic: The Second Encounter", "Serious Sam 2" and "Serious Sam: Random Encounter". There is no point in talking about "The Random Encounter" as it's an hour long spin-off, which isn't even an FPS. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I'm glad the game was short. I couldn't stand such gameplay for more than 90 minutes.

Both "Serious Sam" classic games were good. The engine was solid, the weapons fun to use and monsters quite varied. However, it became tedious after a while, but it may have had something to do with me already being tired by the "Painkiller" series. Had I tried "Serious Sam" first, I would have considered it more fun (which it still was).

Currently I want to play the HD version of the first and second encounter and then I will move on to Serious Sam 3. I just hope it has some fresh ideas compared to previous installments, but from what I have read in this thread, the game has a potential to deliver.

I'd also like to say that "Serious Sam 2", which is considered the worst game of the series, had some appeal for me. Sure, I HATED that the whole game looked like a fairy tale and guns made me want to bite them, because they resembled candy, but I liked that the levels were a lot shorter compared to the classic titles. 20 minutes per level of arena shooting is ok, but on a number of occasions I spent more than an HOUR fighting those hordes in the first and second encounter and that was too much.

To sum up, "Painkiller: Black Edition" is the best arena shooter I have played thus far, followed by more or less consistent "Serious Sam" series, whereas "Painkiller" sequels range from "moderately weak" to "atrocious".

As much as I enjoyed games such as Fallout 3 and Borderlands 1 I really can't say they are favorites of mine, Fallout 3 isn't actually anywhere near as good as the original two Fallouts and the shooting mechanics were really quite dated compaired to the more competent fps games around the time, and with Borderlands you always wind up with the same guns with only minor differences per each play through, the millions of guns thing is mostly just bullshit exaggeration and mainly just minor differences, it's really just a sales tactic.

I was late with Prey and it was sort of fun with the gravity walkways and the minigame where you had to fight the weird spirit things to get back alive but they were very gimmicky and got old fast, and towards near the end of the game I had to force myself to keep playing so that I would finish it because it just plain bored me after a short amount of time.

I played the Half Life 2 games but I wouldn't really say they were as great as many other people say, it was somewhat interesting the first time round but was very dull at points and the guns felt very weak, after playing the game 1.5 times it just bored me completely and I couldn't play anymore, I couldn't find much re-playability at all.

I guess I could say it was the STALKER games I enjoyed the most, minus Clear Sky which was utter garbage. I liked Doom 3 but mostly because of the expansion, I did love Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon but even that suffered from problems such as a few modern fps cliches, the guns were generally overpowered at some point and the leveling up made the game far too easy, I didn't enjoy the meme parts at all and felt they spoiled the 80s theme.

I've played quite a few FPS games released in the 2005-2013 period stated here, so I could probably write at length. However, I'll keep it short and sweet :p

Absolute favourite is Serious Sam 3: BFE. I've had a lot of fun split-screening the campaign on my PC and playing it solo on Serious that first time was brilliant, although I'd be tempted to say TSE HD actually has a better solo experience (but no split-screen, so worse overall). I also really enjoyed TFE and 2, despite the latter's cartoon-y visuals and lame humour. My experience with Painkiller: Black Edition has been encouraging, but I'm not too far into that yet and I can already see it won't beat Serious Sam.

For pure split-screen, I'd say CoD4: MW, CoD: W@W, MW2 and particularly MW3 with its survival mode are the winners. Great times with mates at uni there...

Honourable mention to the HL2 episodes for SP experience, Aliens Colonial Marines for a surprisingly good (considering reviews) split-screen co-op experience and Quake 4 for being more like what Doom 3 should have been!

Patrol1985 said:

...then I will move on to Serious Sam 3. I just hope it has some fresh ideas compared to previous installments, but from what I have read in this thread, the game has a potential to deliver

It's a clever game in terms of its commentary on the state of the genre, but that's a subtle thing that doesn't get in the way of the silliness or become pretentious. You could play through and not notice really.

Up to where I have played it is not very different as far as gameplay, it just does what the previous games do 'better' (I say this loosely though). Melee is more fleshed out in SS3, you hit mobs on the head with a sledgehammer and leave a big gory mess where their brains where :O

If you get it on Steam you can download weapon mods etc. from the workshop.

Avoozl said:

As much as I enjoyed games such as Fallout 3 and Borderlands 1 I really can't say they are favorites of mine, Fallout 3 isn't actually anywhere near as good as the original two Fallouts and the shooting mechanics were really quite dated compaired to the more competent fps games around the time.

I hope you didn't do something silly like decide to skip Fallout New Vegas because of Fallout 3, especially if you where a fan of the first two Fallouts.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Metal Gear Solid 4 was my favorite shooter et al (it was mostly third-person, yes, but you could play some parts in first-person), though it's not really a first-person shooter. Favorite strict FPS of last gen is between Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warfare 2

Fisk said:

Favorite strict FPS of last gen is between Call of Doodie 4 and Modern Warfag 2

FTFY.

To each their own. I don't feel like playing Call of Duty, but I understand why the game is popular. Live and let live MFG38 ;)

The very very first ever call of duty game was pretty fun! 2 was already slightly going down the shitter...

Bugfield 4...

Nah, it's a tie between Serious Sam 3 and Fallout New Vegas (The series clearly FPS/TPS with some amount of RPG elements now and not an RPG series anymore, I still like it though) both of them being completely different games and standing out for different reasons.

Also some honorable mentions for me would have to be:

Prey
Halo Reach (kind of)
Battlefield 4 3
Duke Nukem Forever
Quake 4
TC: Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
TC: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Black Mesa (Kind of)
Dead Island (Would be my top spot if I was sure it was an FPS game, I'm not even sure what it is)
Left 4 Dead 2
Far Cry 3
RAGE, how could I forget that?

Definitely not Crysis 2 for some unexpected reasons.

Bioshock (I), Fakkout 3 (that was a typo but I'm keeping it), the HL2s and Black Ops (only CoD I've played(through); scripty but fun), in that order.

Still haven't played Dear Esther, Stanley Parable, Bullestorm, the Painkillers or the Serious Sams but I keep meaning to.

For gameplay frenzy, a good Doom map's still to be bested as a FPS experience.

Got a sneaky suspicion I'm forgetting a game or two...

EDIT - "Biochock I", not "Bioshocks"

Soundblock said:

For gameplay frenzy, a good Doom map's still to be bested as a FPS experience.

I honestly enjoyed SS3 a lot more than most, if not all custom doom maps I've played :I Although that was mostly on the second playthrough, I foolishly did the first go on the hardest difficulty and really didn't know what the hell I was doing, there's a number of nuances to get used to in that game compared to the older ones (mostly related to either sprint or reloading). It led to being overly frustrated at many points.

Also are Fallouts 3 and NV really shooters to that degree? Then I oughta get around to playing them, I own them on steam but could never be assed because I thought shooting in them was akin to "melee combat" in morrowind-oblivion-skyrim, as in not exciting or skill-based in the slightest.

mrthejoshmon reminded me of Black Mesa, now that thing I hated with a burning passion.

Soundblock said:

Still haven't played... Bullestorm

It's not bad, the companion NPCs ruin it for me (I prefer moving and shooting at my own pace, and opening my own doors!) but otherwise it's like a mix of Tony Hawks Pro Skater and Call of Duty. It's got lots of 'bro' humour which might put some people off though.

Antroid said:

Also are Fallouts 3 and NV really shooters to that degree?

You shoot in them, and you'll most likely play it first-person, so technically they house the "first person shooter" terminology, but then the crosshair aiming/firing isn't strictly "real-time" and there's no real reason not to largely play it from TPP if (I remember correctly - its been a few years and I recall the questionable moral conundrums more than the technical aspects) so it seems a question of definition. I guess by each generation of FPS, the genre evolves in game mechanics not just in visual flamboyance, so you could call it part of that evolution. The game qualifies as long as you can play it as a... retina simulator?

EDIT: I has grammars

Fallout 3 has some indoor areas that seem deeply inspired by the original Doom spaces btw, though its done subtly and tastefully enough that you couldn't call it just a graphical upgrade/byting.

Heh, I felt Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was a far better WWII game than Call of Duty.

Soundblock said:

You shoot in them, and you'll most likely play it first-person, so technically they house the "first person shooter" terminology, but then the crosshair aiming/firing isn't strictly "real-time" and there's no real reason not to largely play it from TPP if (I remember correctly - its been a few years and I recall the questionable moral conundrums more than the technical aspects) so it seems a question of definition. I guess by each generation of FPS, the genre evolves in game mechanics not just in visual flamboyance, so you could call it part of that evolution. The game qualifies as long as you can play it as a... retina simulator?

EDIT: I has grammars

Yeah I think it's fine to consider it FPS but... it's not very fluid so you will probably always use the turn based shooting mechanic instead. I think the problem is that enemies don't move naturally, so getting headshots etc. in free aim is a pain. Also, mouse acceleration has to be disabled through ini editing.

Antroid said:

mrthejoshmon reminded me of Black Mesa, now that thing I hated with a burning passion.

And I can probably guess one of the many reasons why, personally I have problems with the difficulty (The soldiers on that are bullet soaking, health draining sons of AI campers mixed with aimbot and a whole lot of annoying) and trying to even hit anything (It gets to the point where nothing but the crossbow was used, the weapons it that game have the accuracy and stability of a news chopper wielding 40 tank cannons with a crew of 24 cows).

I didn't find it too bad, but it wasn't exactly great.
Also no Xen, one of my favorite parts of HL was Xen.