Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

how the ignore function could be improved

it could also remove the nicknames of people you're ignoring, so you would just see an empty field on the left part of their posts without being reminded of their existence

The eternal question is: how can you be so sure that the person you're "ignoring" isn't e.g. saying bad stuff on your mother? Yeah, I know that with ordinary ignoring you can still click and see selected posts...but that kinda defeats the purpose of ignoring, if you constantly live in doubt.

How about the actually being able to see an ignored user's post when you click on 'View Post'?
When I click on it, a popup window opens up... with the ignored user's post still hidden.

Can't we all just get along? :P

I'm curious if I'm still on anyone's ignore list from my jackass days. Of course, there would be no way for them to see how different my posts are in that case (except for being quoted).

Technician said:

I'd remove the function all together.

Agreed. If someone doesn't want to read another person's post, why not just avert your eyes? Is it that hard that you need software to do it for you? There are various people who I find annoying, but I read their posts anyway. My reaction is either groaning or rolling my eyes, apparently some people have such high blood pressure that their brains will explode.

Besides, it can be easily and unintentionally subverted by being quoted by someone not on your ignore list. Also, the buddy system seems to have no useful purpose at all.

minigunner said:

How about the actually being able to see an ignored user's post when you click on 'View Post'?

Another reason I never use it.

Memfis said:

it could also remove the nicknames of people you're ignoring, so you would just see an empty field on the left part of their posts without being reminded of their existence

really? Someone was mean to you online and the very fact that they are still alive sends you into paroxysms of butthurt?

Man the fuck up.

edit: Unless, of course, I am the one on your ignore list. In which case I invite forum users to quote me forever more. Good butthurt is to be savored, like a fine buttwine.

Technician said:

I'd remove the function all together.

I'm ignoring my ignore list, which for now seems the only appropriate course of action.

Who could possibly be so annoying that you'd need to use the ignore function? When people get stupid enough they get banned.

Funny, I thought the ignore list was brokendisabled like every other feature on the forums.

I've never used the ignore function of a function. Annoying idiots usually get their due, but most of all no one has ever bugged me enough that I had to resort to ignoring them--I usually just click away from the site before I get to that point. Shrug!

I never use ignore lists, except on the ZDoom forums. I wish I could ignore entire threads there, so that they don't show up on the "unread threads" list. And ignore all threads started by specific people.

ZDoom should have an "unreadable" threads list. I'm usually all right at translating broken English, but goddamn

Sodaholic said:

If someone doesn't want to read another person's post, why not just avert your eyes?

I prefer using AdBlock and not having any ads to having ads and just trying to not look at them. Understand?

Gez said:

I never use ignore lists, except on the ZDoom forums. I wish I could ignore entire threads there, so that they don't show up on the "unread threads" list. And ignore all threads started by specific people.

I solved that problem for myself by just not going there anymore. My ignore list was getting pretty ridiculously long and, after I resigned as a moderator, I rather missed the ability to ban people.

Gez said:

Amen. I have an account there but I don't think I've ever found a thread I wanted to post in. The community comes as total pussies.

Memfis said:

I prefer using AdBlock and not having any ads to having ads and just trying to not look at them. Understand?

User posts don't prevent you from reading other shit for 30 seconds or pop up in your face

Yeah but that's not the reason we want those people ignored. I know some people here well enough to pretty much predict what the gist of their posts are going to be considering the subject matter of the thread they are posting in, and I know I'm not gonna like it. However I don't really have a lot of time to watch the thread and bicker back and forth about it, so to avoid carrying the weight of preparing an argument into my personal/outside life, I prefer to filter their shit out so I can read the posts of my more respected contributors instead.

sometimes a post can be a single sentence to remind myself how much I hate em. And sometimes you just cant scroll fast enough.

forum
Pronunciation: /ˈfɔːrəm
NOUN (plural forums)

1A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:

"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

see, the problem is that by ignoring ideas and views that you don't agree with, then the whole exercise becomes rather pointless. If all you are interested in is promoting your own views whilst sticking your fingers into your ears then there is, happily, a solution.

blog
Pronunciation: /blɒɡ
NOUN

A hipster's / emo's diary that, once opened, exists only to prove that no one gives a fuck about your pathetic life.

"Fuck your blog. It is shit. Cry yourself to sleep."

40oz said:

sometimes a post can be a single sentence to remind myself how much I hate em. And sometimes you just cant scroll fast enough.

You actually met an internet personality you dislike that much? Man, there are people I dislike but still tolerate their posts. Like darnation said, a forum is a collective of personalities and diverse ideas under a topic of common interest. That's why it's open to the public. If anything you want something like an echo-chamber or hug-box. This is why tumblr is popular, it attracts like minded people and rejects conflicting opinion by backlash of the hive-mind.

Its more often misunderstandings, misinterpretations, miscommunications than civil disagreements. I've contended with these people before and its gotten ugly. Its best to keep my distance and move along. A blog about dooms design, game play elements and translations of its source code wouldn't satisfy my interests if they couldn't be answered by reputable doomers. There was a time where I didn't have much better to do, but reviving old disputes and repeating myself over and over to ones who just won't change is not on my list of priorities, so an ignore lists keeps it from borrowing some of my mental bandwith that would be better exhausted on real life stuff.

I understand that last part is a total contradiction to what I'm doing now I'm waiting for my wife at the pharmacy and at this very point in time I do have nothing better to do :|

Technician said:

Amen. I have an account there but I don't think I've ever found a thread I wanted to post in. The community comes as total pussies.

Well to be honest its the same for me as well. I have a ZDoom account with 1 post only because Mr. Chris linked one of my shitty Brutal Doom videos in the Brutal Doom thread.

I was browsing the place and I can't even find a place to even start posting! It's just plain ass kissing fuckery that seems to happen over there (I'm all for being nice and all, but even SquishyBrick's works and Mark's infamous dickery were receiving praise over there!).

-

As for the ignore function, I have never used it because I don't really have a problem with any Doomworld members but can I ask the question:

Why is "God" on my ignore list permanently? Is it some kind of little Easter Egg put in there?

forum
Pronunciation: /ˈfɔːrəm
NOUN (plural forums)

1A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:

"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"

see, the problem is that by ignoring ideas and views that you don't agree with, then the whole exercise becomes rather pointless. If all you are interested in is promoting your own views whilst sticking your fingers into your ears then there is, happily, a solution.

blog
Pronunciation: /blɒɡ
NOUN

A hipster's / emo's diary that, once opened, exists only to prove that no one gives a fuck about your pathetic life.

"Fuck your blog. It is shit. Cry yourself to sleep."

Quoted for posterity.

minigunner said:

When I click on it, a popup window opens up... with the ignored user's post still hidden.

That would actually defeat the purpose of the ignore function and prevent the conflict from being resolved.
Back in 2004 I was a member of another forum which had this "view ignored post" feature. Some people there declared that they would be ignoring me but yet they still kept clicking to view my "ignored" posts, and the conflict just never diffused.
Thank goodness that old forum died.
Amen.

Well, my reason for using the ignore function isn't that I don't want to read certain ideas\views. It's more about how they are presented. Almost any argument can be presented nicely in a civilised manner so that anyone could read it without getting annoyed by something. But not everyone on this forum is good at that. Some posters just sound like asshats no matter what point they are trying to make. And that's when the ignore function comes in handy.

Everytime I use it I end up removing it, because its confusing as hell seeing people talking to someone who isnt even there!