Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob-Omb

Final Doom: Divide by Zero error

In the middle of playing Final Doom, on the last level of Plutonia Experiment, my game stopped and an error came up that talked about a divide by zero problem. The same error now occurs about 5 seconds into all of my saved games (All of which are on different parts of that same level). Let me know if you need the exact message. I assumed it was the runtime error 200 thing, but it's happening in the middle of game paly (Far into it, actually) made me think that that might not be the case. If I need a Turbo Pascal 7 or whatever patch, let me know, but also, if you can, tell me where I can get a good one of those patches. I got a German one already, but it tells me that it can't open the file I specify when I try to use it. Thanks for any help!

Which source port/engine is this you're using? If it's DOOM95 (that ships with the Windows releases of DOOM), you're unlucky, because it was created by Microsoft and is therefore close-source and now unsupported, which means that any eventual bugs cannot be fixed, unless it's DirectX related (I find that very unlikely though, judging from the nature of your problem).

If this is DOOM95 or the DOS doom2.exe you're using, check out some source port and you'll probably find that it won't behave the same way because most bugs have been fixed in most source ports.

If you're using a modern source port, it is probably possible to solve your problem. If a source port, you should contact the author of the source port and report the bug (probably along with some more info about your system and configuration).

I am using Doom95. Is there a source port you can recommend that does nothing but fix bugs and things like that? I don't want the actual game changed in any way. I have the same source port problem going in my Hexen/Heretic topic.

Use Zdoom my humble friend. It does loads of other nice stuff, but only if you want it to.

It is really easy to use and there is no 3d effects, skins or sourced lighting to spoil that original Doom feeling.

You could also use Prboom. It is also quite easy to use.

And not only that, it also is exactly like Doom(2).

I disagree.

While Jdoom looks totally awesome our friend requested a port that didn't change anything. Doom looks much different (and very cool) when using Jdoom.

ZDoom worked nicely, except for a couple of things: Can I get it to load my Doom II and Final Doom save files? Also, the resolution seems very fuzzy, but that may just be becasue it starts out in a super tiny mode that I have to maximize. How can I get it to play full screen and normal resolution? I tried putting width/height flags on the shurtcut to match my computer's resolution, but it just made the HUD on the bottom tiny.

It has a rather large options menu. Under display you can set your screen resolution to something decent.

Bob-Omb said:
ZDoom ... Can I get it to load my Doom II and Final Doom save files?

No; none of the ports support loading original save games AFAIK.

A reasonable workaround, with Boom based ports, is to IDCLEV to the level you reached and use the TNTWEAP cheats to get back to roughly the right kit you were carrying.

Sorry, I'm kinda quick to post on forums when I have a problem, but after looking through READMEs, etc., I simply can't find an answer to this, yet another of many troubles I am having with all my new Id stuff. The problem is that when I run ZDoom in full screen mode, the screen bounces around like a TV channel with bad reception. Sorry for my continuing idiocy/horrible luck, but once I get all my nice Id games up and running I'll be happy.

Use vanilla DOOM, that's the best way to play the original levels.
And start the game on that level. The level anyway start with full ammo health and armor, so is not a problem if you had a hard time on the last level, or if you finished it with all the items.

If you want to play these maps the way they were intended to be played then use the latest version of PrBoom. And you can still get high resolutions. According to Florian avoid using 800x600 resolution on PrBoom and go to the next resolution setting down. He says it has a bug at that resolution and he hasn't resolved it yet.

Cadman
Member - TeamTNT

By any chance do you have a Pentium CPU? Early Intel Pentium (pre MMX) chips had a serious error related to dividing by zero. It's probably software related though in which case I don't know what to tell you.