Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

How to detect whenever are people serious or not?

Yeah, I always had problems with that, any tips you could share? for both internet and real-life cases.

Are you autistic? If so, there really isn't any tips one can provide someone without the inherent tools installed.

As somebody who is autistic, I've basically learned on a person-by-person basis. For example, my mum is very often sarcastic, so I always see if I'd use sarcasm in that situation to say what she's said and, if it works, assume that's how she meant it. On the internet, it's all guesswork, so just go with your gut and don't be afraid to step on some toes.

Phobus said:

On the internet, it's all guesswork, so just go with your gut and don't be afraid to step on some toes.

Good advice for neurotypicals, too.

U ask. R U SRS br0?

Sokoro said:

Yeah, I always had problems with that, any tips you could share? for both internet and real-life cases.

The whole point of April 1st is that you shouldn't be able to know.

Otherwise? Dunno. With time you'll probably find out that people are highly predictable, and will only joke when they're comfortable about it.

If their eyes are red and their pupils are dilated, they may just be fooling around.

Try hanging out with a really snarky person. I'm still pretty terrible at communicating with people, but my social skills, particularly the ability to read between the lines and pick up on sarcasm, improved dramatically during the two years I spent receiving verbal lashings from my ex-girlfriend. I learned a lot about myself simply by talking to her, including the fact that I am on the spectrum.

If you are not autistic or burger, you know when people are serious, it requires social smartness

Waffenak said:

If you are not autistic or burger, you know when people are serious, it requires social smartness

Even people without medical conditions can be incapable of detecting sarcasm, genius.

Look for that special sarcastic tone of voice. If there isn't one, they're serious.

When interacting face-to-face then I usually rely on evaluating the tone of voice of the person who I speak to, and on evaluating their body language to determine whether they are serious or not.
Although occasionally this technique doesn't work and a sarcastic remark may slip by undetected.
When interacting online via text then I find myself second-guessing whether someone is being serious or deliberately joking around just to piss me off and have a laugh. It only becomes obvious when they start using all-caps with a bunch of exclamation marks.

Yeah, this is a disadvantage of the autism condition, but at least it is countered by some benefits which the "normals" don't always have, such as paying attention to detail and avoiding redundancy. :P

Krispy said:

I don't think Germans can detect humor, judging by experience.

That's a bias. My current crush is a German, and she has the wildest and sassiest sense of humour that I've seen.
People usually tend to say this bias about Russians, and I do admit that I tend to be very serious sometimes, despite having moments where I like to laugh.

I have issues too and I also have Aspergers. Sometimes I can't tell if something being said to me is serious/sarcastic, particularly if it is posted online where you can't tell be the tone of voice or facial expression.

And for the record, my background is German and Polish.

It's hard to tell on the internet when people are being a troll (or genuinely stupid) or just sarcastic.