Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Professor Sir

When do you like saving on extra-long maps?

Basically the above title, but let me clarify a bit:

Think of an incredibly extremely long map.
I've almost always thought saving at the end of each level was appropriate, but what do you do when that level is massive, like Dawn of Reality or City of the Damned? This could also apply to extremely hard maps, I guess.

Personally, I just check my monster count proportionate to the map total and save every time I kill a 1/3 of them, but it can vary depending on the map size. (When it comes to Winter's Fury, however, I have to save after almost every monster because of how extremely bad I am.)

Consensus: I like the word "extremely" a lot.

I save when i feel like it.

I have no rhyme or reason, unless it's to quit.

Whenever a large segment of gameplay is done and I have clear obvious breathing room. Sometimes I'll save around a corner of a huge fight thats going to kill me over and over, just to cut down on tedium. Too much repetition due to death, I will lose will to play and likely just quit.

I tend to save when I remember to. For a harder map, this is more frequently. For a more engrossing map, this is often less frequently because I'll forget, but then if I die I don't mind playing parts over again so much. Self-regulating system, and all that.

Six said:

I have no rhyme or reason, unless it's to quit.

Me too.

When I have to go to the bathroom.

Ok. Generally I only do savegame when I play Megawads/Level packs.

If I need to AFK. Generally I try to complete a map without using saves, though if it's ridiculously huge I might set a checkpoint at something important like a key collection.

in a long map...

Six said:

generally though in GZDoom, I always like saving as soon as I kill the last monster in a group, so I can look at enemy death animations midway in the thumbnail every time :).

When I remember saving; when I'm low on health; when I find the right path after being lost; sometimes, when I grab a key; when I win a hard battle; when five minutes have passed without saving. Am I a save scummer? I try not to save at small maps, but I can't stand redoing half of a map due to one mistake, especially at big maps.

Ragnor said:

Whenever a large segment of gameplay is done and I have clear obvious breathing room.

Pretty much this.

Basically every five steps I take.

It's ridiculous how much I save when playing in general unless I'm trying to do a no save run.

every 100 seconds... yeah autosave.wad
plus when I need it like when there is a little breathing room after clearing some of monsters in a fight or when I get some big hp/armor boots from powerups.

I used to have this silly habit of saving after any fight, even minor ones.

I tend to avoid saving if I can, since I am used to playing survival online and I'd rather have the extra pressure on me. If it's one of those maps that you can't win from starting again, then saves will be used where needed.

As for super long maps, again saves will be used (don't have the time to start again).

Very seldom, if ever. If it's a really big map and I'm determined to play it all the way through and there's a rough patch coming up and or I don't feel like playing that particular map anymore at the moment, then I save. It sure beats the hell out of starting all over from scratch the next time I play :D