Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linkrulezall

Raspberry Pi Doom?

So I got a Raspberry Pi a few months ago (google it if you don't know what it is) and I thought to myself, "Hey, there's a version of Minecraft on here, it should be able to run Doom, shouldn't it?"

Is there any Doom source port that works on the Pi? And if there isn't, would it be worth it to create some kind of port of Zandronum or GZDoom?

Chocolate Doom runs fine. Most Linux source ports should work fine - after all, it's really just another Linux machine and there's nothing particularly special about it.

Someone wanted to port ZDoom to ARM a while back, although I don't know if they were ever successful...

As pointed out, Chocolate Doom runs fine; so does prboom-plus. But I try to limit the maximum resolution to 640x480 or so since the framerate drops considerably at the monitor's native resolution.

However, there's a backend for SDL that uses the Pi's GPU to scale whatever resolution an SDL application outputs to fullscreen. I'm not sure if this is included with Raspbian by default or how to install it there if it isn't (I use SlackwareARM). Although the documentation says to disable software scaling in the application, I find the output looks better if I set Chocolate Doom to scale its output to 640x480 (640x400 might work too, but there are/were problems scaling non-4:3 aspect ratios at one point). Adding the mostly undocumented scaling_kernel parameter to config.txt to force the Pi to use nearest-neighbour scaling (i.e. "scaling_kernel=8") also seems helpful, at least for getting 1993-like crunchy pixels instead of a blurry mess...

Eternity currently compiles and runs, with a few issues that could use addressing.

CODOR said:

Someone wanted to port ZDoom to ARM a while back, although I don't know if they were ever successful...

As pointed out, Chocolate Doom runs fine; so does prboom-plus. But I try to limit the maximum resolution to 640x480 or so since the framerate drops considerably at the monitor's native resolution.

However, there's a backend for SDL that uses the Pi's GPU to scale whatever resolution an SDL application outputs to fullscreen. I'm not sure if this is included with Raspbian by default or how to install it there if it isn't (I use SlackwareARM). Although the documentation says to disable software scaling in the application, I find the output looks better if I set Chocolate Doom to scale its output to 640x480 (640x400 might work too, but there are/were problems scaling non-4:3 aspect ratios at one point). Adding the mostly undocumented scaling_kernel parameter to config.txt to force the Pi to use nearest-neighbour scaling (i.e. "scaling_kernel=8") also seems helpful, at least for getting 1993-like crunchy pixels instead of a blurry mess...

I would go the "Custom SDL" route, but it's not portable. What is needed is an actual OpenGL ES routine for Doom source ports. As far as I know, Two ports' (Choco and EE) developers have pondered the idea, but EE would need SDL2 support.

There also is a way to do ES 2.0 without a hacked SDL1.2 here .