Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

Doomsday not working (resolved)

I downloaded the latest stable release that was recently patched and configured the IWADs inside of the data folder, when I went to launch via the frontend I got a 'Doomsday.exe has stopped working' with 'A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.' This is troublesome as that kind of error/crash isn't indicative of anything that could've went wrong. I made sure that my OpenGL version was 1.4 and that I meet the requirements overall, well, not sure about 'Python 2.5', and I have Direct X 9.0c. Running Win7 Pro 32-bit on a laptop with a 'Intel Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family' video card w/ 256MB memory, 2 gigs of RAM and a Core2Duo processor. I last ran an older Doomsday on my desktop XP which ran fine. If in any case does it happen that the newer Doomsday doesn't like my laptop, will downgrading to any particular version allow it to run better on this configuration? If at all, since obviously this isn't. Shame, cause I like this port for what it is.

E: List of versions.

There are presently some incompatibily issues with certain Intel graphics chipsets and the latest version of Doomsday. Thus far we've been unable to recreate the problem in testing, however.

Give 1.12.2 a try and see how you get on.

I figured that. Also that one does the same thing. Try before 1.12 then? I wish I remembered the last version I used, I've missed a lot of updates it seems.

Yeah, try earlier then. Are you sure your video drivers are up to date/you're not using the default Windows driver?

What does your doomsday.out log have to say?

Graphics driver's up to date, I wouldn't know if I'm using the default. I don't see a doomsday.out file anywhere. Tried again using 1.13.2.

E: 'As of 1.11 Doomsday's OpenGL requirement was raised to 2.0. In earlier versions it was 1.4.' Ohhh, I didn't know. I'll use 1.10 then, thanks!

Cyanosis said:

I don't see a doomsday.out file anywhere.

You should find doomsday.out in your user documents folder, which by default will be something like C:\Users\Cyanosis\Documents\Doomsday Frontend\runtime

Vermil:
As of 1.11 Doomsday's OpenGL requirement was raised to 2.0

Indeed. I clearly overlooked the point about 1.4 in the OP, well spotted.

1.10.4 works just fine, although I'm wondering how do you disable mouselook and cap the frame rate? Also fixing the skybox so it doesn't have a textureless orb in the center, though this doesn't show up on all skies just some of them, which is weird. Lastly how to use fog colors, thanks.

You can cap the frame rate from the console with refresh-rate-maximum.

That "textureless orb in the sky" thing sounds like an old Intel specific issue in Doomsday, with applying fog to the sky sphere. I don't know whether you'll be able to fix it without an upgrade... You could see if setting rend-sky-distance to a lower value, like 800, helps any.

For colored fog you'd need to download an addon, or set it up manually each time using the fog console command.

'fog color 255 255 255, rend-sky-rows force 24'

Just dug this up from my first thread ever, funnily enough about Doomsday, I simply forgot these. Thanks for the capfps command.

Re: textureless orb in the sky

Are you perhaps referring to how the sky sphere fades to a solid color at the top and bottom? (A screenshot would help a lot here). If so then thats no bug, thats just the way the sky is drawn, due to having only a 2D panoramic image to work with. You might be interested in downloading some hires sky model addons to 'fix' that.

'Are you perhaps referring to how the sky sphere fades to a solid color at the top and bottom?'

Yeah that's it, nevertheless increasing the sky rows makes the orb go further up.

There's one last thing I'd like to know, how do you launch a game with fast monsters outside of nightmare difficulty? I solved my mouselook issue by disabling the Y axis, but now you can't move forward and backward by moving the mouse up and down. Case anyone's wondering what I'm doing here, Doomsday on a technical level is pretty faithful to the vanilla engine, but has a nice hardware accelerator on top it, so I've setup my games to be as oldschool as possible.

E: Can't work with 320x240 though, it makes things in the distance look blurry until they pop up in all their pixelated glory (by disabling the bilinear filters on sprites, world and UI.

Fast monsters are enabled the same way as vanilla; -fast on the command line.

You could simply rebind your controls rather than disabling a mouse axis entirely. Doomsday allows each axis to be bound independently.

There are a lot of options which you might want to tweak to make it look like vanilla... in modern Doomsday this is made much easier by simply selecting the 'Vanilla' profile in Renderer Settings. You could see if you could transpose those settings.

I hate to keep introducing new problems to the table, but I just realized that in 1.10.4 the glowmaps don't seem to be working, I messed with the sliders but no effects produced (was this changed to use graphics cards' shaders?). I decided to downgrade once more, and I now rediscover I was using 1.8.6, I can tell due to the lack of the fancy gray circular loading animation and the older looking control panel, and while now the glowmaps work again herein lies another issue, my aspect ratio isn't being read properly, I got a black border around the screen in all but the monitor's native resolution 1024x768, which I don't like playing in as I'm used to 640x480. I looked around once more to find a way to fix it in the config and launcher settings but nothing. I'm at a loss as to what's causing this to happen.

E: Created an example.

E2: Right, I somehow managed to fix it, and have no idea what I did either. Finicky thing.

E3: Hmm, interesting, it apparently doesn't like OpenGL as the renderer, it accepted Direct3D and now it's the proper size regardless of resolution. I don't remember having to do that. However it does complain upon launch that glbsp wasn't found and there could be problems.

You'd be better off sticking with 1.10.4, textures do still glow however they are nowhere near as strong as they were by default in older versions. You can adjust the glow strength from the control panel.

1.8.6 is rapidly approaching it's ten year aniversary... I'm sorry but I don't remember much about the specifics now.

Are you sure you're running up-to-date video drivers? One thing I do recall about that version is that usually when OpenGL didn't work it was usually a result of running the default Windows video driver.

'Product Detected Mobile IntelĀ® 945 Express Chipset Family
Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.1930
Your driver is current.'

While the glow strength could go higher, and the sprites aren't lit up by glowing floors anymore, I got everything to look pretty good now. Do think the lens flares are overdone however in the newer Doomsday when realistic halos are turned off, it looks very apparent in D2's map24 when you're in the room with all the white ceiling lights and you got these small sets of orbs wavering about in front of you (not the larger ones that the actual lights generate, the lens flares).

Also nice to see that Eternal Doom works properly, I did this as a test because while I beat most of it on 1.8.6 back in 2009 some of the maps looked a little messed up, notably the beginning area of map07, and map28 refused to load for some reason, forcing me to finish off the game in another port. Last I checked Hell Revealed 1 worked and I beat that in 1.8.6 but its sequel didn't seem to like Doomsday very much, haven't tested it on 1.10.4 yet though. And a particular megawad called Invasion II looked really messed up on map02 on 1.8.6 back then as well, otherwise the port ran most vanilla sets well (and made them look fancy).

E: The skies casting their color on the environment is a really neat effect, and quite intelligent as I noticed on Eternal Doom the engine read the blue sky texture used throughout the game and casted the outdoor areas in a dim blue color. I also noticed in the past it's intuitive with custom playpals, the glowmaps and such reflect the modified palette, unlike the dynamic lights in GZDoom.

I'm happy to hear you've solved the issues you were having satisfactorily.

In recent years there has been a concerted effort to improve compatibility with vanilla DOOM mapping hacks and this will continue over the coming releases. This extends to the lighting model, as you noted.

Its a shame you can't run a newer version... In Doomsday 1.14 for example, we're now adding Bloom to the roster of visual effects :)

Work is also under way on revamping the lens flares: