Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

There wasn't really a deadline for SF13, so there's no hurry. Ribbiks kept the front page very nicely updated all year and he's added/will add some bug fixes himself, plus he did a good job with the release of SF12 and visits the forum pretty much daily I think. Can't ask for a better leader than that.

As you may know, first 15 maps of Slaughterfest 2013 have been played in Zdaemon's TNS #137 organized multiplayer game. I noticed some issues along the way:

MAP03: make bars (sector 185) to red key arena lowerable from the outside (or add MP teleporter leading inside). If one player enters the arena but dies, the other players are stuck outside.

MAP05: same problem as above, make sector 129 re-openable from the outside.

MAP07: same problem with bars to red arena (sectors 2645 etc).

MAP09: not sure if bug or feature, but I've seen some players squeeze through gaps between bars (sector 380) to blue key area in Zdaemon. It was impossible in Zdoom 2.7.1, though.

MAP10: in Zdoom, it is possible to fall into big square hole with red key before it is raised. The player is then stuck (in single player).

MAP14: texture bleed/HOM near backpack (thing 1284).

MAP15: in multiplayer, if someone enters yellow key room but is killed before he/she grabs the key, the other players can't open the bars (sector 911 etc.) and are stuck outside. The trigger which opens access (sectors 1062 and 1063) to the auxiliary switches IMO needs to be placed right behind the bars, not on the other side of the cyberdemon-filled room.

Lastly, there was one texturing issue, which was apparent in almost all maps. With "sf2013pr-tex_v2.wad" textures pack, some switches had incorrect texture. It can be easily seen in MAP01, linedef 1468. Not sure if some other texture WAD is needed.

Just for a clarrification, it's still possible to submit maps, right?
(No, I don't have any in the works if you are wondering).

j4rio said:

Just for a clarrification, it's still possible to submit maps, right?
(No, I don't have any in the works if you are wondering).

No new maps, and no old maps either. Slaughterfest 2013 is canceled. Everyone please delete all copies from your hard drive. We appreciate your cooperation. It was a good run everyone, but I'm afraid none of the maps met quality control this year, not even close, not least of which because none of them were properly submitted by mailing a disc with the wad in an ivory jewel case with the wad title on the front glued with 24 carot gold flakes in size 14 comic sans font to each TODGA (The Official Doom Gods Approved) playtester. Better luck in 2014 everyone!

You're saying that cuz you want to be selling the pre-released version for bitcoins at ebay unsuspected.

gggmork said:

No new maps, and no old maps either. Slaughterfest 2013 is canceled. Everyone please delete all copies from your hard drive. We appreciate your cooperation. It was a good run everyone, but I'm afraid none of the maps met quality control this year, not even close, not least of which because none of them were properly submitted by mailing a disc with the wad in an ivory jewel case with the wad title on the front glued with 24 carot gold flakes in size 14 comic sans font to each TODGA (The Official Doom Gods Approved) playtester. Better luck in 2014 everyone!

Ignore what this guy is saying. I'm sure Ribbiks can fix the glitches in the maps. Afterall, he has done a good job with 2011 and 2012 of slaughterfest.

How the hell do you login with a nickname like this? Would take me like 600 tries to get it right.

TimeOfDeath said:

There wasn't really a deadline for SF13, so there's no hurry. Ribbiks kept the front page very nicely updated all year and he's added/will add some bug fixes himself, plus he did a good job with the release of SF12 and visits the forum pretty much daily I think. Can't ask for a better leader than that.

He's pretty good. I wasn't trying to rush the project or anything. I just wanted to know so that is why I asked the question.

I'll post a second beta in a bit, the TNS came at a weird time, I think many of the bugs mentioned have since been fixed, but I'll still look into it. Feedback and bugfixes from the MP communities is always appreciated, so many thanks for posting.

I have a map30 in progress, from the basic outline I have done it would be of comparable scale to sf12_30, but I'm not sure it's worth making another behemoth like that, seeing as the first one was uv-max unfriendly enough already :p. Maybe I'll scale it down and try and keep it reasonable, but still "epic" feeling enough to warrant the mapslot designation.

There are a couple bugfixes I'm tempted to make myself, but I think I'll retain respect for the original authors and send some PMs to see if I can get people to fix a few things. If enough time passes without response I'll just do it myself I suppose. The todo list is similar to last time:

- Resurrect Dead (GoS), some minor re-balancing would be nice.
- Pacman (Lagger), a few bugfixes for some things that can be broken, iirc he said he was planning on posting an updated version eventually.
- Chaos Slaughter (Solarn), various small fixes, I think I had a post enumerating some suggestions a few pages ago, couple HOMs, etc.

Similarly, here's some things that Ribbiks needs to do:
- Now that maps are in appropriate order, pick out some suitable skies for the maps that use the default RSKYs.
- Difficulties and various things on phml maps
- Difficulties on darkreaver's map (which I haven't gotten around to yet -.-, I did add the music he asked for though)
- Roll around in some Poop and see if red crackle is old hat.

And oh yeah, more map submissions definitely allowed, as previously mentioned overflow maps will be put into a bonus wad (which I do plan on compiling and including in the zip, for what it's worth). Hasn't been much activity recently though, so I don't really anticipate that at the moment.

I think incorporating 13/14 would be a good idea to get a decent number of good maps into the project and get it properly playtested and fixed to a reasonably high standard.
I mentioned on the TNS event that I felt this project was perhaps starting to wane on inspiration with the main protagonists taking part in other community or personal projects.

mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

Ignore what this guy is saying. I'm sure Ribbiks can fix the glitches in the maps. Afterall, he has done a good job with 2011 and 2012 of slaughterfest.

I think it's clear he was being sarcastic haha.

Combining into a '13/14 WAD, and then having a '14/15 (or just a 2015) seems like a sensible idea. There's maybe only so many ways the same people can produce slaughter maps. Both my brother and I really enjoy these maps and will be looking to contribute to the next one as we'll have enough time to learn how to build maps in a couple of months' time. :D

They could be named Slaughterfest 1/2/3/etc, not dependent on year. But it is too late for that, you guys fucked up the title forever and now we're stuck with it.

gggmork said:

They could be named Slaughterfest 1/2/3/etc, not dependent on year.

Yeah, I totally didn't bring that up two years ago.

Sorry for disappearing guys, I kinda lost my inspiration for a while and then forgot about this project. I'll try and fix up my map, but right now I don't remember what I was planning to do with the two little side areas, so it might take a while until I figure something out.

gggmork said:

They could be named Slaughterfest 1/2/3/etc, not dependent on year. But it is too late for that, you guys fucked up the title forever and now we're stuck with it.

You should give them women's names like they do with hurricanes. "Slaughterfest Wilma"

mouldy said:

You should give them women's names like they do with hurricanes. "Slaughterfest Wilma"

Or give them scientists' names like "Slaughterfest Einstein" (named after Albert Einstein).

I loved Slaughterfest 11 and 12, and I'm eager to get the new one :). When will you release the final (or beta) version?

Ribbiks said:

- Resurrect Dead (GoS)

New petition: ressurect the dead gos.

some minor re-balancing would be nice.

Yeah I'm working on that, sorry for the (continuing/everlasting) delay. What's going to happen is there'll be an optional warp in the opening area which gives you a chaingun (possibly and/or other weapons) but makes you go through unnecessary fights. I decided on this ages ago, but making the fights has proved very slow.

What do people think of that idea btw. The chaingunner fight that everyone except me hates doesn't change in of itself, but you can go get better weapons (which make it a lot smoother) if you go out of your way. The optional fights involve enemies that are squashed by a crusher if you don't go to that area.

"Sorry for the delay" could be my custom title, if i was cool enough to have a custom title.

Neat, a new map.

Hey Omnistar, please note that sf2013 is a boom-compatible mapset, so ensure that your map works as intended in prboom+ (-complevel 9) or an equivalent port. Briefly looking through your map I see it was designed for zdoom (couldn't get out of the opening room even in prb+). With some tag changes I think this should be playable. Make sure also that everything is possible without jump/crouch.

In the mean time I'll take a look through in zd and check out the gameplay.

If this is still being worked on, how are you guys able to finish slaughterfest 2014 in time?

Blagggmf v5 (map01)
Textures included.

Changed a few more things since the original version. Specifically, a less generic final fight... Hopefully. ;)

There is a map02 included, something I started in April, but quickly gave up. This second one is not a submission for sf2013, but I figured someone here might be interested in having a look, who knows.

Haven't found a fitting MIDI yet. Play with PSXMUSIC.wad. Or keep on rocking D_RUNNIN, if that's your thing. I won't judge.

All credits go to Demonologist, who's been hard at work pushing me to stop procrastinating. :)