Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quaker540

How can I make a Arch-Vile not to heal monsters?

Hello everybody!

Like the Title says, I want to make the Arch-Vile not to heal enemies, just attack monsters normally. Is there any way I can interrupt the "Heal" state? I tried using this code;

Heal:
TNT1 A 0
Goto See

I was hoping of making the Arch-Vile to interrupt that state, but it seemed deemed creepy, as when the Arch-Vile was entering the "Heal" state it resulted in the engine to crash. Yes, I was behind a wall and when I heard the "DSSLOP" sound (XDeath sound, the sound he makes when he resurrect monsters) it crashed. Any ideas? I'd appreciate your help!

To expand a bit on that, the Heal state is where it goes when it is healing a monster, so when it goes to the heal state, it has already started healing the monster. You cannot interrupt the resurrection: the arch-vile animation is just for show (and so it doesn't do something else), the monster is getting raised as soon as you hear the gib sound. If you kill the archvile in the middle of that scene, the monster will still complete its resurrection sequence, and if you kill the monster, the archvile will still complete its animation too.

scifista42 said:

Put A_Chase instead of A_VileChase in his walking (See) states.

Thanks a lot! It worked like a charm!

Gez said:

To expand a bit on that, the Heal state is where it goes when it is healing a monster, so when it goes to the heal state, it has already started healing the monster. You cannot interrupt the resurrection: the arch-vile animation is just for show (and so it doesn't do something else), the monster is getting raised as soon as you hear the gib sound. If you kill the archvile in the middle of that scene, the monster will still complete its resurrection sequence, and if you kill the monster, the archvile will still complete its animation too.

I already knew that the Arch-Vile does that, it's how the code was created for that monster. A_VileChase seems to do the same with the original Doom, he chases and when he find a dead monster, he resurrect it. Scifista42 was right because the only change with A_VileChase compared to A_Chase was that, that it scans for dead monsters (It scans for objects that they are Monsters or they have "Raise" state).

Thanks a lot for your help, guys!