Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

You cannot be serious

Yah, that's pretty stupid. Young Earth Creationism, too.

I mean, if I want to believe in God and creationism, then I'll believe that millions or billions of years ago he got bored one day and decided to go Sorcerer's Apprentice on a bunch of space rocks or something. Complete with big hand waves, music, a mountain top, and mouse ears.

Yeah I saw that too after looking around a little. Although it still wouldn't surprise me if such a thing were to actually happen. Religious zealots will do just about anything to get people to follow them in their brainwashing.
Also I now feel like a stooge :P

Yes, that is indeed a parody article. However, the sad part is that quite a bit of it is almost TOO accurate. Have you guys seen the creationists' responses to the show on Twitter, by any chance? It almost hurts to read.

baronofheck82 said:

Yeah I saw that too after looking around a little. Although it still wouldn't surprise me if such a thing were to actually happen.
Also I now feel like a stooge :P

This is the exact same thing I said when I first fell into a Nationalreport trap heh.
EDIT: In fact, said trap is the same article Clonehunter linked :P

I absolutely adore the original "Cosmos" (I've been a Sagan fanboy since I was a wee lad) and I am really enjoying the Neil Degrasse reboot. I'll admit, yes, it does get a bit heavy handed when discussing the endless stupidity of religious fundamentalism and its tendency to impede scientific progress (at least in the past), but the show does so in a very factual and casual manner. It's not making the church any more evil than it actually is. And this is what bothers those poor fundies. They are completely unable to accept--probably due to severe cognitive dissonance--that their particular philosophy is not appropriate for understanding the cosmos, whereas natural philosophy/science is.

I'm sure there are many people in Kansas who wish it could be true.

But let's be serious (despite the thread title), such blatant censorship would never fly. If this was attempted and it managed to successfully pass through State legislature, it'd be instantly destroyed by the Supreme Court.

Not to mention, atheism is on the rise and fundamentalism is less common now than it was in our parents' time. There's just no way for the religious right to win at this point, as more and more people are waking up to how utterly obsolete it is.

GoatLord said:

Not to mention, atheism is on the rise and fundamentalism is less common now than it was in our parents' time. There's just no way for the religious right to win at this point, as more and more people are waking up to how utterly obsolete it is.

Yeah the future's newt gingrich's nightmare where everyone under 50 is a liberal secular arab.

This is not the first show like this, by far, don't they remember Carl Sagan? There are already many science documentary shows presently airing as this one debuted to join the pile. What's with this one in particular?

I don't understand why they care to begin with. There's already plenty of religious documentary shows on American television that they could watch instead. Nobody's forcing them to watch anything. If you don't like it, change the channel, morons! The TV they watch and the internet they use are practical, functional products of the viewpoint they despise so much.

Why does the mere existence and expression of a viewpoint different than their own make their heads explode? That behavior makes MY head explode.

EDIT: grammar

baronofheck82 said:

Although it still wouldn't surprise me if such a thing were to actually happen.

It actually should surprise you. Such a proposal would be a blatant unconstitutional first amendment violation.

Sodaholic said:

That behavior makes MY head explode.

Who wants to volunteer for the position of honorary Doomworld exploded-bits-of-sodaholic's-head-picker-upper?

Quast said:

It actually should surprise you. Such a proposal would be a blatant unconstitutional first amendment violation.

I don't know about you, but in the world I live in, news of the U.S. enacting laws that blatantly violate the constitution are pretty damned routine and unsurprising.

AndrewB said:

I don't know about you, but in the world I live in, news of the U.S. enacting laws that blatantly violate the constitution are pretty damned routine and unsurprising.

There is a difference in simply passing one and also not having it struck down.

Quast said:

There is a difference in simply passing one and also not having it struck down.

NSA? It sucks very hard, but it really isn't surprising to hear of constitutional violations frequently, and to often see nothing (properly) done about them.

It's a pity they might cancel it because NeilDegrasse is one of the best communicators out there. He has a better chance of reaching the theistic crowd than Dawkins or Krauss.

edit\ I just read the joke-site report :P

Eris Falling said:

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nationalreport one of those joke news sites?

Yep, though you have to hunt around to find their disclaimer page

Sodaholic said:

This is not the first show like this, by far, don't they remember Carl Sagan? There are already many science documentary shows presently airing as this one debuted to join the pile. What's with this one in particular?

You kind of already answered your own question. It is an update of Carl Sagan's Mini-series. And it's airing at prime time on network television on Sunday evenings instead of at 2 in the afternoon on the Science channel tucked somewhere between Home and Garden and the Ocho. It's also hosted by a man who has been very outspoken on the fallacies of creationism. Also, it's produced by Seth MacFarlane. I think that covers it...