Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Megamur

Vanilla Textures Scrolling to the Right?

By default, I know that Doom's textures are only designed to scroll to the left, but I thought I once saw some tutorial that showed you how to mess with linedefs to force textures to scroll to the right, as well, or at least give the illusion of scrolling to the right.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Thank you!

I hope I get this right: Linedefs reference sidedefs by number. It's possible for multiple linedefs to reference the same sidedef number, though not something you can do easily with modern editors apparently. If you have several linedefs that reference the same sidedef, and each linedef has a scroller on it, the scrolling speed increases. Plutonia uses this effect in some maps. If you have 63 linedef scrollers on the same sidedef, there's some kind of overflow, and the texture starts scrolling in the other direction. Keep in mind that vanilla is limited to 64 scrollers.

I don't actually know what editors will let you do this, anyone have any recommendations?

It's not an overflow. It's just that if you have a 64-wide texture and you increase offset by 63, you get the same result as if you had decreased offset by 1.

The 64 limit means that you can make a symmetrical scrolling display with one left and one right and that's all.

And you might need to use a hex editor to accomplish that.

Guest Unregistered account

I used this effect in a wad once and thought myself quite the genius.

Then I messed the game up by splitting the scrolling wall into 1P length lines and setting their offsets to zero.

The Gothic DeathMatch series has a green portal texture and for some of their exits it uses this technique combined with the texture to create an awesome looking portal.

plums said:

I don't actually know what editors will let you do this, anyone have any recommendations?

I typically just edit the LINEDEFS lump in XWE. But what sucks is that once you resave your map in most editors, the effect is gone. So you have to note the linedef numbers down and do all that stuff at the very end of the work on your map.

Grazza said:

Note that this won't look right in Prboom+ if interpolation (uncapped frame rate) is used, as essentially there is a kind of optical illusion going on, which the extra frames will ruin.

I found a 2008 topic on the Russian forum where entryway said that it should be pretty easy to fix. Someone should remind him about this. :)

Memfis said:

I found a 2008 topic on the Russian forum where entryway said that it should be pretty easy to fix. Someone should remind him about this. :)

He made a decision not to introduce a workaround, which is fair enough (as it isn't really a bug, and it might be hard to avoid unintended consequences):
http://sourceforge.net/p/prboom-plus/bugs/188/

Just don't interpolate scrolling textures and there's no problem. The benefit is minimal in the first place...

Mostly it's Doom Builder's fault for being high level. WinDEU lets you reference sidedefs manually, just as it should.