Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HXCpr0n

Sky resolution help... Do I need a skybox?

If you're using a GL port, then normal sized skies will get stretched and faded like that. A skybox might be your best bet, but maybe a tall sky (544 pixels high, for ZDoom at least) might work? What port(s) are you making it for?

plums said:

If you're using a GL port, then normal sized skies will get stretched and faded like that. A skybox might be your best bet, but maybe a tall sky (544 pixels high, for ZDoom at least) might work? What port(s) are you making it for?

It's for Zandronum with opengl. I'm not exactly sure on how to make the skybox in terms of increasing resolution. Like do I take that star sky texture and resize it somehow?

HXCpr0n said:

Yeah that's because I resized it. Sorry.

Here it is in it's original. It looks better here

http://speedy.sh/d7bK4/0-SKY5.jpg

Setting up a GL skybox is pretty easy and you could use that image for each face of the skybox. It might look a little square in the corners though. I could deform it for you if you'd like, preferably with an even higher-res image if you have one.

You could also just upscale or tile that image a whole lot, I don't know how large it needs to be before you don't get any fading.

edit: The reason I offer to deform it for you is because the process I use is a little obtuse. But you can try it yourself of course. There are other ways, but all the ones I've found require commercial software or use of a 3D modelling program like Blender.

You could also try defining your 400x400 sky as a texture in TEXTURES lump (http://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTURES). Here's what I wrote for more or less optimal results:

texture SKY2,400,400
{
    XScale 2
    YScale 2
    Patch 0_SKY5,0,0
}
It will fade at the top, of course, but there shouldn't be any other problems. Note that I didn't rename the patch, it's still 0_SKY5.

Oh, and if you're using XWE, use "Load (raw data)" to preserve the colors.

Da Werecat said:

You could also try defining your 400x400 sky as a texture in TEXTURES lump (http://zdoom.org/wiki/TEXTURES). Here's what I wrote for more or less optimal results:

texture SKY2,400,400
{
    XScale 2
    YScale 2
    Patch 0_SKY5,0,0
}
It will fade at the top, of course, but there shouldn't be any other problems. Note that I didn't rename the patch, it's still 0_SKY5.

Oh, and if you're using XWE, use "Load (raw data)" to preserve the colors.

Interesting. I will try this and report back with screens - I use Slade as well

plums said:

Setting up a GL skybox is pretty easy and you could use that image for each face of the skybox. It might look a little square in the corners though. I could deform it for you if you'd like, preferably with an even higher-res image if you have one.

You could also just upscale or tile that image a whole lot, I don't know how large it needs to be before you don't get any fading.

edit: The reason I offer to deform it for you is because the process I use is a little obtuse. But you can try it yourself of course. There are other ways, but all the ones I've found require commercial software or use of a 3D modelling program like Blender.

I will definitely keep both of these options in mind as a plan B and plan C if Werecat's proposal doesn't work out.

For some reason my screenshots aren't working now.. But needless to say, both solutions worked and they both have roughly the same quality from what I can tell.

Plum's sky doesn't end when you look up though which is cool. Is that morph hard to use or take a long time? Anyway thanks for the help

The software can be difficult to set up, it's Linux-only (there are Windows equivalents but I couldn't get them to work properly) and installing it varies a bit from system to system.

Once it's installed properly it's fairly easy to use, you feed it a large image that's twice as wide as it is high and it spits out 6 cube faces. The top and bottom ones usually need patching a bit, since they have pinch-points, but it's usually easy to fix. With your sky I just faded in a circle in the middle, you can tell if you compare the top image to the bottom one.

I'm still looking for a better and still free system, if I ever find one I'll probably write up a tutorial on how to make proper skyboxes.

plums said:

Once it's installed properly it's fairly easy to use, you feed it a large image that's twice as wide as it is high and it spits out 6 cube faces. The top and bottom ones usually need patching a bit, since they have pinch-points, but it's usually easy to fix. With your sky I just faded in a circle in the middle, you can tell if you compare the top image to the bottom one.

I'm still looking for a better and still free system, if I ever find one I'll probably write up a tutorial on how to make proper skyboxes.

That's pretty cool though. You can get some decent results with it and it's a good fix to the issue of sky textures tapering as you look upwards. I would look forward to a skybox tutorial because they seem like a really handy tool when done right... eg. you can make things like moving environments and layered backgrounds.

On a side note.. I'm kind of panicking because my wad won't load now :(

I'm a mapper for a mod actually and all of a sudden doom builder won't open it... I'm going to see how else I can open it or what other programs I can use